Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you guys, I recently purchased a 2019 Subaru Forester Touring when the vehicle is placed in reverse, the passenger side mirror will tilt down automatically until it is put into Drive.

Upon reviewing the owners manual, this option can be changed so that both mirrors will tilt down, however it is a dealer setting. Is there a way to access the dealer settings to do this? Thoughts, help, advice?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
558 Posts
I'm bumping this post because I have this exact same question, as well as the other dealer settable feature to have the rear wiper turn on in reverse if the front wipers are on.

If anyone has access to the technical service manual at https://stis.subaru.com/search/index.html to look this up, I'd really appreciate it. (As of the date of this post, the 2019 Forester Tech Service Manual doesn't even seem to be available yet, so I suppose I'm going to have to wait for this.)

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium ES CVT (Sold)
138 Posts
If indeed it does need the dealer diagnostic computer hooked up to set it, a word of advice. Take it to the dealer you bought it from nowhere else! In my experience they do it as a courtesy whereas another dealer will probably charge you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Question for you guys, I recently purchased a 2019 Subaru Forester Touring when the vehicle is placed in reverse, the passenger side mirror will tilt down automatically until it is put into Drive.

Upon reviewing the owners manual, this option can be changed so that both mirrors will tilt down, however it is a dealer setting. Is there a way to access the dealer settings to do this? Thoughts, help, advice?
Power seat memory. >> reverse interlockingg outside mirror customization. From the dealers tech laptop

·
Registered
9 Posts

Power seat memory. >> reverse interlockingg outside mirror customization. From the dealers tech laptop

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes you can. The dealer needs Perform the upgrade from the tech laptop using the menu structure stated in the original post. Just had mine done and it works great.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks! Just to be completely clear, are you saying that BOTH your left AND right side mirrors tilt down when you go into reverse? I asked my dealer to change to this setting several months ago and they said that they tried, but still only my right side goes down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same issue when going to the dealer to have them make both of my mirror to tilted. they said he couldn't do it on my car. Sounds like it's doable. I guess my dealer has incompetent mechanic. will try another dealer. One would think Subaru would have trained their mechanic on new products, but I guess not.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
258 Posts
The 2019 Touring manual specifically lists the option to have both mirrors tilt down in reverse as a "dealer only" settable option. When I had my 12K service I asked them to make that setting. The tech said he didn't know how to do that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
  1. Correct. Just have the tech follow the menu structure listed Power seat memory. >> reverse interlockingg outside mirror customization. From the dealers tech laptop

·
Registered
9 Posts
Correct. Just have the tech follow the menu structure listed Power seat memory. >> reverse interlockingg outside mirror customization. From the dealers tech laptop

·
Registered
1 Posts
Correct. Just have the tech follow the menu structure listed Power seat memory. >> reverse interlockingg outside mirror customization. From the dealers tech laptop
2020 Touring:
Dealer didn't know how do this. I wrote these instructions down, gave them to the service guy and voila!, they now know how to change the setting. Yay!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
258 Posts
Power seat memory. >> reverse interlocking outside mirror customization. From the dealers tech laptop
I had this done today while I was in for my 18K service. The tech called SOA just to be sure because it's labelled strangely in the dealer laptop screen. He showed me the screen and the setting choices were labelled "Right Seat" or "Both Seats" for the mirror settings. He thought it might have been a "translation to English" issue. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since I brought a 2019 Forrester home, the driver side mirror sometimes tilts down when I back up but doesn’t tilt back up when I start going forward! Advice anybody?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Since I brought a 2019 Forrester home, the driver side mirror sometimes tilts down when I back up but doesn’t tilt back up when I start going forward! Advice anybody?
I have more questions than answers for you, but some of my questions may help you to troubleshoot....

1) There's about a 10 second delay before it moves back up after shifting out of reverse (presumably to avoid excess movement if you are making parking corrections to D and back to R). Are you saying sometimes it sticks permanently in the titled down position and you have to use the remote power controls to move it back up?

2) You said it "sometimes" tilts down. It should always tilt down as soon as you put it in reverse. Is it possible that you just don't always notice it? If it's not tilting down every time, and if it's not going back up 10 seconds after shifting out of R, something is wrong.

3) You mentioned this is the driver's side mirror. In the U.S., the driver's side mirror doesn't tilt down by default, only the passenger side. To have the driver's side tilt also, it requires the dealer to program it; it cannot be accessed by menus. I see you're registered as being in the U.S.. Did you mean driver's side? If so, is the passenger side working?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for your thoughtful response. 1. yes it does not go back into place after 10 seconds or any amount of time. 2 I sure do notice it because it’s a pain in the butt to try to adjust that mirror when you’re driving. And sometimes it had not tilted down. I have to say I’ve never seen it tilt back up. 3. it’s the driver side. I can’t explain it though I have read what you are you are describing in the chats here. I’m beginning to think I need to go to my dealer and be insistent . Although the last two times I went to the dealer they said all I have to do is make sure the mirror switch on the drivers armrest is in the middle and everything will be cool. They are not correct.

I have more questions than answers for you, but some of my questions may help you to troubleshoot....

1) There's about a 10 second delay before it moves back up after shifting out of reverse (presumably to avoid excess movement if you are making parking corrections to D and back to R). Are you saying sometimes it sticks permanently in the titled down position and you have to use the remote power controls to move it back up?

2) You said it "sometimes" tilts down. It should always tilt down as soon as you put it in reverse. Is it possible that you just don't always notice it? If it's not tilting down every time, and if it's not going back up 10 seconds after shifting out of R, something is wrong.

3) You mentioned this is the driver's side mirror. In the U.S., the driver's side mirror doesn't tilt down by default, only the passenger side. To have the driver's side tilt also, it requires the dealer to program it; it cannot be accessed by menus. I see you're registered as being in the U.S.. Did you mean driver's side? If so, is the passenger side working?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts