Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Touring here: I find that the auto-dim rear view mirror and side view mirrors are VERY dark. They’re either tinted or not. There doesn’t seem to be much of an “in-between.” I even find when I’m in a dark parking garage with no headlights behind me, the mirrors tint all the way and it makes baking up extremely difficult. Is this normal? Is there a way to trick the mirrors to not tint as much? Does the center view mirror control the side view mirror tint? Do the mirrors just tint when its dark? So many questions!

Any insight would be very helpful. Much appreciated!!

Reactions: saturn706

· Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
317 Posts
You can turn off Auto Dimming via the button on the rear view mirror.
Automotive mirror Rear-view mirror Auto part Font Rectangle

There are two settings (cluster Color Screen): Auto Dimmer & Auto Light Sensor. I assume Auto Dimmer would be relevant for your issue and has a few settings (default is Mid).

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Whitesc Thanks! I thought the menu settings affected the auto headlights! I’ll dive deeper into the options and try other settings.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t think the auto dim mirrors have any settings besides on and off.. so again, anyone know how these mirrors work ? Does anyone else think the dimmed mirrors are too dark? Maybe by design ?

· Registered
366 Posts
I don’t think the auto dim mirrors have any settings besides on and off.. so again, anyone know how these mirrors work ? Does anyone else think the dimmed mirrors are too dark? Maybe by design ?
I think they are perfect and not too dark. This isn't my first vehicle with this feature so it's exactly what I expected. And if needed I just use the back-up camera. I don't have any issue with the auto dim mirrors. They are so much better then non dark, especially the side mirrors, saving me from the constant blinding light from pickups behind me.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While sitting in traffic tonight I had time to do some messing around. All cars had headlights on and it was dusk. I figured out that there’s a sensor on the back side of the mirror (facing forward) and my dash cam was covering it up!!! Moved the camera and problem solved!!!

· Registered
2019 Forester Limited
2,003 Posts
While sitting in traffic tonight I had time to do some messing around. All cars had headlights on and it was dusk. I figured out that there’s a sensor on the back side of the mirror (facing forward) and my dash cam was covering it up!!! Moved the camera and problem solved!!!
Manual says not to do what you did with dash cam, but doesn't really explain why. Now we know.

· Registered
366 Posts
Glad you found the issue and thanks for the update.

· Registered
2019 Forester
6 Posts
I had the same reaction (2019 Touring). Even went back to the dealer a week after picking up the car. He said that's the way it's supposed to be. (I don't have a dash cam or anything else blocking the mirror's sensor.) It's just designed to be dark.

I don't like it but I'm getting used to it. Especially in daylight, a mirror should show me what is behind me, not a tinted version.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts