Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has anyone used any of the apps on the system. I will have access to apple car play but I was seeing apps like aha and even the Magellan map app. Does that work well vs using google or Waze through car play.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
523 Posts
@Drew1964 I just tried to use some of the music apps and came up mystified. I tried Pandora. Spotify, Aha, Amazon, Google and the Samsung music app on my phone. I need another session with the media guru at the dealer. She was sharp.

I got music to play from most of them but couldn't keep track of what source was playing. Spotify would play a song for about 4 seconds and the switch to another source. The steering wheel buttons are inconsistent to me.

If I were driving using this I would crash in about two minutes. Sure looks like not ready for prime time.

One of the other apps had a place to add stocks and track them. I couldn't even get one stock to enter.

So far WAZE is golden and I was able to add a couple of cities in the travel app for weather on the upper screen.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will have to play around once get car. I use a usb drive for my music. Easy and holds a lot but like the option of other apps

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
523 Posts
Will have to play around once get car. I use a usb drive for my music. Easy and holds a lot but like the option of other apps
+1 on USB drives. I'm trying to drag myself into the 20th eerrrr 21st century. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have used apple car play on my 2019 touring, waze works at first but after 15 minutes the map vanishes, and I am sent to playlists and music, the verbal instructions continue but I cannot get back the waze map any suggestions?

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
11 Posts
Hello. 1st time Subaru owner with a brand new '20 Forester. I didn't see a specific thread for the My Subaru app but since its also on the infotainment console I thought this was as good a place as any.
I'd like to keep a gas and maintenance log for my car. I see that the My Subaru app is for recording service but not a gas log. Ideally, I'd like to use one app but am not opposed to using separate apps if there is value in that. So my question is, is there anything special about the My Subaru app? Is it worth using or just keep my own log elsewhere? Also if you have specific apps you recommend, please share. I'm an android user. I haven't investigated what Starlink is just yet but I see there are lots of threads about it and will dive into those soon.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
162 Posts
I only use carplay. Use USB most of the time for music but when my phone is plugged in then system can't recognize the other USB so I have to music off phone - this whole issue has been discussed before - this is my only car that when I plug in car play it won't recognize the other USB port.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Hello. 1st time Subaru owner with a brand new '20 Forester. I didn't see a specific thread for the My Subaru app but since its also on the infotainment console I thought this was as good a place as any.
I'd like to keep a gas and maintenance log for my car. I see that the My Subaru app is for recording service but not a gas log. Ideally, I'd like to use one app but am not opposed to using separate apps if there is value in that. So my question is, is there anything special about the My Subaru app? Is it worth using or just keep my own log elsewhere? Also if you have specific apps you recommend, please share. I'm an android user. I haven't investigated what Starlink is just yet but I see there are lots of threads about it and will dive into those soon.
So did you actually download the My Subaru app or just read the description? I'd suggest downloading it and checking out the features. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you.

Personally, I like it. I can remotely lock/unlock the doors, start the car and adjust the climate controls, check the vehicle status, check the mileage, tire pressures, MPG, etc. I also like the idea that I can log the maintenance info on the site which (I think) can help mitigate any disputes on proper care in regard to warranty since I'll be doing most of the work myself. .....although I will also be keeping my own written records and receipts.

I like the app personally and think it's well worth it. I've never kept an MPG record other than initially checking between fill ups to see what I can expect in regard to range in different scenarios. I'm not the hyper-miler type or one to concentrate on my driving style to eke out the most from a tank. I just fill up and go. The mileage is what it is to me and as long as I know what I can expect during a long trip, commute, around town, etc., I'm golden.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
11 Posts
I can remotely lock/unlock the doors, start the car and adjust the climate controls, check the vehicle status, check the mileage, tire pressures, MPG, etc.
Does this mean you have a paid Starlink account or was remote start pre-installed on your car?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Does this mean you have a paid Starlink account or was remote start pre-installed on your car?
A paid Starlink account for 3 years which is one reason I like the app. Her car didn't have the remote start option installed on the car which uses the FOB.

Reactions: csczu

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport
34 Posts
I use Android Auto and have used Waze, iHeart, Spotify, Google Maps, Google Play Music, and Google Podcasts all without issue. Though I prefer playing streaming music through Bluetooth since it seems to sound better. As for the other Starlink apps on the Infotainment system I find them slow and useless.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
790 Posts
Maintenance records go in MySubaru. It has an option to download an excel file, so I do that since it’s been reported mysubaru can lose records.

Gas/mileage goes in a notes file on the iPhone. I’m sure there are apps for this, but it works fine for me.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Sport
34 Posts
In my 2021 Forester Sport, other than the Android Auto app, the only built-in app I've found useful so far is Pandora (some of the other apps with those names you've never heard of either didn't look useful or actually froze up my Starlink computer for a couple of minutes!)
Of course, you can also use Pandora, along with many other apps, through Android Auto (by plugging your phone into the USB port, but using the built-in Pandora works over Bluetooth, so you can leave your phone in your jacket pocket if you want, which is kind of convenient.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts