Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After adaptive cruise control, Apple CarPlay is my favorite feature on the Forester! The cell phone makes the car better, and the car now makes the cell phone more useful, as well as more convenient and safer to use as well. This is just a great confluence of technologies!

·
Registered
2019 Forester
159 Posts
Agree - currently have Forester on order but CarPlay on current car is great. I don't know why anyone would purchase built in navigation anymore.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree - currently have Forester on order but CarPlay on current car is great. I don't know why anyone would purchase built in navigation anymore.
I agree - my trim has the Subaru nav system, but I actually still prefer Apple Maps and Waze, plus you can register personal contacts in the phone, and destinations in the nav app and that allows you to tap the microphone on the steering wheel and say "Call Dad", or "take me home"! You can even say "Text Dave" and it will translate your speech to an outgoing text message, and it will read incoming texts out loud... you can receive incoming calls on the fly. Not only is all of this very convenient, it removes most of the concerns about cell phone use while driving - it's largely hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,163 Posts
Sucks not to have in on the '18

I have a 3 year old $12,000 stripped down Chev. Spark thrt has it. It IS the bomb.
Now on the Spark its has to be plugged in the USB. The bluetooth only works for Phone/text.
This spark also has on-board internet server..lol.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sucks not to have in on the '18

I have a 3 year old $12,000 stripped down Chev. Spark thrt has it. It IS the bomb.
Now on the Spark its has to be plugged in the USB. The bluetooth only works for Phone/text.
This spark also has on-board internet server..lol.
Same thing on my 2019 Forester. There is Bluetooth connectivity, but for full Apple CarPlay integration, you need to be plugged into the USB port in the console. I don't mind, that keeps the phone charged up at the same time. After gaining some awareness of what this system can really do for me, I have gotten to where I just plug my iPhone in every time I enter the car... and I am still thinking of new ways it can be helpful at this point.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Auto
127 Posts
It would've been nice if the headunit had wireless CarPlay and a Qi wireless charger built in!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
13 Posts
I was going out to the Oregon coast last month and in the mountains it was snowing hard, with snow on the ground, and near freezing. I had the nav set to our planned destination and it was routing us along just fine. But we decided to go somewhere else first, and I really didn't feel like stopping so it would let me program in the new destination. So my passenger put the new destination into his phone, plugged the phone in, and voila. Instant re-routing.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
148 Posts
Probably not as Siri is intrinsically part of CarPlay. But if you want to turn it off you can do this:
Change Siri settings
Go to Settings > Siri & Search, then do any of the following:
Change the voice for Siri: (not available in all languages) Tap Siri Voice, then choose a male or female voice for Siri or change the accent.
Prevent Siri from responding to the voice command “Hey Siri”: Turn off Listen for “Hey Siri.”
Prevent Siri from responding to the Side or Home button: Turn off Press Side Button for Siri (iPhone X and later) or Press Home for Siri (other models).
Change the language Siri responds to: Tap Language.
Limit when Siri provides voice feedback: If you don’t want Siri to always provide voice feedback, tap Voice Feedback, then choose an option.
Prevent access to Siri when iPhone is locked: Turn off Allow Siri When Locked.
If you have Google Maps or Waze you may have to touch the microphone icon and give it directions.
For me I leave it on it does work for me in fact it always mispronounce my last name which is hilarious.
Lou Cioccio

1 - 9 of 9 Posts