Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring cvt
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to install and use in snow/slush, on ice, etc the newest version of Blizzak which is the WS90. Montana was recently hammered and don't know how many members might be from there. If folks were prior WS80 users and already faced harshness this year with a different dedicated snow, I would be interested in your take as well. I intend to buy a set of rims with snows within a month.

For background, I had purchased a set of WS80 for my 2019 Touring last October from TireRack. I had tried to go "minus 2" (instead of my usual minus 1) based on their sizing for the 2019 Limited and the rims didn't clear the calipers. By the time I could arrange a return I elected to see how winter life would be with the all-seasons and wasn't happy. I did not have the same "feel" (real or imagined) on my daily 50-mile mixed rural mountain and highway commute of 30 years, and needed pulled out once due to loss of traction in snow that had not happened to me previously.

I have been buying from TireRack since before they sold on-line, but I don't see their ice rink testing as "real world". This past year the guys at TFL Car did the closest to what I see as a legitimate snow comparison with Subaru Outbacks, but it was only with three separate tire sets. I have been using Blizzak for over twenty years and will likely just continue unless folks can make a good alternative case. I appreciate in advance your time to read this and contribute if able. krh

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I decided not to wait for answers and just purchased the WS90 on rims at TireRack. I uploaded a pic and order receipt at the winter wheels & tires thread at https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/2019-winter-tires-options.805205/page-2#post-7581250.

I decided not to wait because in years past the WS80 (and their predecessors) would go out of stock in November and it could take up to a couple months to restock. In fact, TireRack tried to offer me the WS80 in the same size as a closeout deal for about $105 each before I confirmed my purchase. Those of you who need to get replacement WS80 in this size might take heed. :)
krh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Realityintrudes,

I have used the WS80s (on my 2014 and 2018 Forester XTs) the last 6 seasons (we live in the Colorado high country) ) and decided to upgraded to the WS90s this year. On Saturday, we had heavy snow and they performed exceptionally. I encountered slush, loose snow and ice and the grip and braking characteristics of these tires were excellent. I was a fan of the WS80s and really think that Bridgestone has made some solid improvements. Notably, it has more lateral stiffness and performs much better in the slush than the WS80. First impressions - but I'm very impressed so far.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
406 Posts
I have used the WS60 through WS80 on various cars and our current cars have the WS80. My wife's car has the DM-V2 because that's the only one available for her size (we stick to the stock sizes). Been happy with all of them, but haven't tried the WS90.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... upgraded to the WS90s this year. On Saturday, we had heavy snow and they performed exceptionally. I encountered slush, loose snow and ice and the grip and braking characteristics of these tires were excellent ... really think that Bridgestone has made some solid improvements. Notably, it has more lateral stiffness and performs much better in the slush than the WS80. First impressions - but I'm very impressed so far.
That is great to hear. My set is sitting in the garage waiting until my 19 Foz gets its next oil change at 15k miles. This should be within a month, and our temps will more consistently in/below the 40s.

I will be interested to find out if the WS90 suffers the same 3MPG loss I found the WS80 and it predecessors had.
krh

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just went through my first sleet storm of the season and I can say I am impressed by the WS90 (vs WS80 and prior generations before that on multiple Subes on the same roads). Solid performance on both both ice and in a couple inches of slush.
So far there appears to be a 2MPG penalty for them vs the all-seasons that came with them.
krh

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2 Posts
We purchased a set in November... just had a chance to actually drive in snow. I ran several winters with a couple sets of the WS80 on my 2009 Forester. Also have the DM-V2 on my Tacoma. Overall (wet, dry, snow/ice and noise ) I would say the WS90 is a slight improvement over the WS80. I have not noticed any change in gas mileage over the summer tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts