Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, anyone here has any experience with Yakima Exo Hitch system? I am about to install a tow hitch just to use Exo system, but not sure if it will fit. Does anyone have the measurement for these?

Thanks in advance!
Keyboard Rectangle Parallel Font Sleeve

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
4,653 Posts
While I've not used this be wary of how much you carry back there.... The Forester can only handle about 170lbs of tongue weight for the hitch - no matter what the hitch may have as a max tongue weight. So images of having a lot of gear hanging off the back will not be good for the subframe that the hitch mounts to and the possible ride and handling and braking of that extra weight hanging off the back end.

And given that the Exo system starts in at just about 68 lbs, then add on cargo box for 28 lbs and you've eaten up most of your tongue weight ... That doesn't even include the support to have a 2nd unit up above the lower unit.

The reason you can do a trailer up to 1500 lbs (with trailer brakes) has to do with the majority of the weight of the trailer being supported by the trailer suspension/wheels/tires and it's not dead weight on the back of the vehicle with nothing to support it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahhh no way? gosh, thank you for telling me that, i can forget about the whole hitch thing then... time to upgrade to a bigger car :( Now with two kids, just so hard to pack all the camping gear in the back..

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ecohitch.
less than an inch in the rear.
10nch mark is in the hole count from wherever.
Goes straight back, under spare tire, no interference but close.
@Menel thanks man! but with the 150lb weight limit info, I can forget about it. I am not going to do it anymore... such a disappointment. I was dreaming to install the Exo system and go on an epic camping trip with my famil.

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
4,653 Posts
You can still go on epic camping trips with the fam... Don't forget you've got a roof rack capable of a few hundred LBs (even higher for a Wilderness) and the rear cargo...

I use a cargo basket carrier and others have those 'coffin box' cargo carriers with spare tires and firepits and camping stoves and all of that... And you can still hang that 150 lbs off the back using a lighter cargo carrier option... Don't give up on your dream, just find a better way to make it work with your Forester.

For example, this cargo carrier for the rear hitch weighs in around 60 lbs and you'll still be able to load it with another 100+ lbs of gear.

Product Automotive lighting Grille Mesh Rectangle

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I will look into roof top basket.. I just don't really like loading stuff on the top. good thing is I already have a roof rack, but knowing loading my 27 lb mtb on top was already painful, I don't want to think about throwing a 40-50 lb Yeti cooler on the top lol. I was hoping I can get the basket to the rear, easier to access... and with Exo system I can load the bikes on the back too.. but that's not gonna happen anymore.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can still go on epic camping trips with the fam... Don't forget you've got a roof rack capable of a few hundred LBs (even higher for a Wilderness) and the rear cargo...

I use a cargo basket carrier and others have those 'coffin box' cargo carriers with spare tires and firepits and camping stoves and all of that... And you can still hang that 150 lbs off the back using a lighter cargo carrier option... Don't give up on your dream, just find a better way to make it work with your Forester.

For example, this cargo carrier for the rear hitch weighs in around 60 lbs and you'll still be able to load it with another 100+ lbs of gear.

View attachment 563477
love that cargo carrier! thanks. I will look into this.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,160 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
1,276 Posts
The 2018 manual says the roof rack system is limited to 150 lb (cargo and accessories), the load limit of the cargo, crossbars, and carrying attachment can't exceed 176 lb, and the crossbars are limited to 165 lb. I'm not sure who proofread the manual. But, if you want to obey the numbers in the manuals, like you do with the tongue weight, make sure the manual does say you can put a few hundred lb up top.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have a folding trailer. The bed is 4x8. It folds up and is a flat vertical thing for storage. The width stays the same and you can allocate maybe three feet in the other dimension. Mine's not exactly offroad capable but it would be able to handle dirt roads. I store it in the garage when not in use.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,160 Posts
@Botnik - Well, it's really made for motorcycles, which means it adds a lot of luggage capacity. But the similar one that I have is convenient and almost unnoticeable when you tow it behind a car or truck.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm with FB.
I see Yakima demoing it with a RAV4 with double bike and storage bin... which also has a max 150lb Tongue weight. So Yakima isn't afraid to play it loose.
I was going to write to Yakima on how they false advertise with Rav4, then out of curiosity I checked, if it's Rav4 Prime, it actually has 250 lb tongue weight limit. now we don't know if it's regular Rav4 or Rav4 Prime lol. The whole system in the picture is 166 lb by itself, two bikes, if they're carbon bikes, maybe 50 lb, that leaves little room for that gear box hahah

1 - 20 of 21 Posts