Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2019 Touring model. So far, so good.

In a '16 Outback we installed a slightly larger sway bar. Makes for tighter on road handling, albeit with a slight loss of off road-ability.

A similar package was offered for 14-18 Foresters, but a check on Subaru Online Parts shows the 2019 model uses a rather different part number.

Anyone at all familiar with the issue? Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Why not wait and see how you like it? This is a completely new platform so I wouldn't advise going with the same assumptions as the last platform.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I swapped for a STI sway bar for my previous Impreza and it made a big difference. I'd like to do it for my 19 Forester too.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
There will probably be much more options once the new WRX comes out in 2021. Since it is going on the SGP, it will most likely use the same setup as the Forester.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Just got a 2019 Touring model. So far, so good.

In a '16 Outback we installed a slightly larger sway bar. Makes for tighter on road handling, albeit with a slight loss of off road-ability.

A similar package was offered for 14-18 Foresters, but a check on Subaru Online Parts shows the 2019 model uses a rather different part number.

Anyone at all familiar with the issue? Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks.
I can't offer advice on fitment, just concept. We went from OEM 18mm to 19mm on our '15 2.5i Limited: just one millimeter. Even my wife noticed improved stability on high speed sweeping curves and she is not an enthusiastic driver. Sometimes I wish for more on paved roads but on dirt back roads I'm glad we did not go for the 20mm. So, for us the 19mm seems to be the happy medium. Advice to wait and get thoroughly familiar with the car is good, then choose carefully and conservatively. Tires, springs, shocks and the ASB all work together so, like the Moody Blues sang, "It's a question of balance"

GD

·
Registered
424 Posts
I can't offer advice on fitment, just concept. We went from OEM 18mm to 19mm on our '15 2.5i Limited: just one millimeter. Even my wife noticed improved stability on high speed sweeping curves and she is not an enthusiastic driver. Sometimes I wish for more on paved roads but on dirt back roads I'm glad we did not go for the 20mm. So, for us the 19mm seems to be the happy medium. Advice to wait and get thoroughly familiar with the car is good, then choose carefully and conservatively. Tires, springs, shocks and the ASB all work together so, like the Moody Blues sang, "It's a question of balance"

GD
You're dating yourself for quoting the Moody Blues and me for knowing who they are. :) Great Band. Still touring.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I installed front and rear larger swaybars on my 2015. I love it! However, I'm only the average driver with no inclination for high speed cornering. I will say that you will notice a difference right away.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I installed front and rear larger swaybars on my 2015. I love it! However, I'm only the average driver with no inclination for high speed cornering. I will say that you will notice a difference right away.
You might be referring to my statement about high speed curves. What I meant by that is legal speeds on mountain highways and freeways. I only did the rear because I wanted to induce a less understeering situation when cornering. I like the cornering balance better than with OEM but am confident I won't suddenly swap ends in the loose stuff. This happened long ago when I overdid the oversteer and I choose not to carry an extra pair of underwear.

GD

·
Registered
37 Posts
You might be referring to my statement about high speed curves. What I meant by that is legal speeds on mountain highways and freeways. I only did the rear because I wanted to induce a less understeering situation when cornering. I like the cornering balance better than with OEM but am confident I won't suddenly swap ends in the loose stuff. This happened long ago when I overdid the oversteer and I choose not to carry an extra pair of underwear.

GD
Actually, I was only referring to my experience with my thicker front and rear sway bars. After driving it more, I love the total balance of the car. Body sway going through curves is no longer a concern.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts