Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RUN, Forester...RUN! Well...it varies!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new Subaru Forester owner here. I think the internet held onto all the 2.5l oil consumption complaints from the past few years until I bought one and then opened the floodgates. Now that I have one in the driveway, all I see online is Subaru class action this, and class action that, and oil test this, and low oil light that. I have yet to see if people are still complaining about the oil consumption issues with the 2.5 with the 2019 but I am quite worried. I knew boxers had a slight oil issue due to design, oil pooling when parked tilted etc., but people complaining about a quart every 1k in very recent model years just makes me uneasy. Calling a quart every 1k miles normal does not make it so. I saw someone state here that they haven't used oil in 3k miles on a new 2019 Forester, and that set me at ease but I wanted to see if more people are checking and monitoring their oil consumption regularly. At the dealership just before purchase, I checked the oil and saw it way overfull, perhaps half an inch over "full". Now at 400 miles, I am just above "full" perhaps 1/8" so there was some oil loss already. I am aware of the copout idea that a new engine might burn some oil, but I am hopeful that my vehicle was just brought up to the front and parked there when I checked it (thus not settled) and it was indeed facing a slight downhill. (Insert uneasy laugh here). Has anyone seen any oil consumption with their 2019? I love it otherwise, it would hurt if I needed to add more than a quart every 3k.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
490 Posts
I'm at 2400 miles. I check every other tank of gas which so far has been about 700 miles. Oil is still a skosh over full.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
277 Posts
My 2019 Foresters are only at 1,000 miles, but zero oil loss. I had 2 2015 Foresters also not big oil users. One used zero oil in 6,000 miles and the other one used 1/2 quart in 6,000 miles.
Mostly old news, 2014 and older models were the worst for oil consumption. Even then the manual transmission vehicles were the worst oil users.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,019 Posts
The extent of the issue was overblown even when it was at its worst. A few percent of engines is enough to support the need for action (lawsuits, extended warranties, etc.), but still means that 95 out of 100 owners will not have a problem. And newer engines have much lower incidences of excessive oil consumption.

Checking your oil regularly is a good habit with any car, but obsessing over it will just jack up your blood pressure for no gain.

Personally, I’ve owned cars in the past (a couple of Toyotas in particular) that were almost immune to negligence, and it’s important to understand that a new Subaru will never be like that. It needs its routine maintenance. But that’s likely all it will need for many years. That’s certainly been true after the first five years with ours.

·
Registered
2019 RUN, Forester...RUN! Well...it varies!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to hear these. New cars with excessive oil consumption is a pet peeve of mine. It is a precision/refinement issue, plain and simple. I feel so sorry for those people investing money in something that fails to delight the owners for years. I am happy and surprised to see some here with 0 loss. I will be sure to post my losses or lack of, when the miles accumulate. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Changed my 2019 oil at 5900 miles. It didn't burn a drop as pre change oil level was exactly on the fill mark where it was when I took delivery at 5 miles.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
42 Posts
2019 with 3,700 miles. No oil consumption.

From my research before purchasing the issue largely impacted turbo (XT) engines, particularly those with manual transmissions. Obviously the 2019 does not fit those categories so I wasn't terribly worried.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
608 Posts
My family owns a 2013 Crosstrek (60K miles) a 2015 Outback (55K miles) and a 2019 Forester (the recent replacement for a 2016 Forester- 30 K miles ). All NA engines.

None has used any measurable amount of oil.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
276 Posts
I have a 2013 Crosstrek (106,000) that burns a quart about every 4,000.

No noticeable loss on my 2019 Forester.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
190 Posts
Our 2019 Forester (base) used absolutely no oil during the first 3,500 miles, when I had it changed at the 6-month point (for warranty consideration).

Now at 4,800 miles and the oil level still hasn't moved at all from the first oil change.

BTW - At the first oil change, the dealer over-filled it by 1 qt. I took it back and they were apologetic and took care of it. Moral of the story - check it right after an oil change.

We are retired and have an old run-around-town car and only use this on weekends and trips, hence the low mileage. Mostly highway.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Lineartronic® CVT
167 Posts
Been checking it on our '19, has not moved on the stick since mile 41, now it's near 1,900 showing. Most of our miles are road miles.
:smile2:

Last one was a 2003 5 spd, it would use nearly a whole quart between oil changes.
:surprise:

Before that, was a 1984 GL HB with 1800 & Manual 4WD, it just leaked at rear main enough that clutch would chatter some times. I finally sold it near 180,xxx miles.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,516 Posts
@mirageman -
"Worry is the interest on a principle balance that never comes due".
In other words, it's non-productive.
The oil loss on some earlier versions of the FB25 was due to a problem with the oil rings which does not affect current versions.
Therefore, that issue is not applicable to your car.

The difference in oil level you noted is likely due to oil drain and/or car position as you intimated, both of which will affect the level seen on the dipstick.
There are threads about checking oil level on this site, because a Subaru is a different animal.

Consistency is the best way to ensure your measurements are comparable to each other.
Check it before you drive away once in a while where you park in the same location, car pointed in the same direction where hopefully it is somewhat level.

On a Subaru, you only get one accurate reading, because of the way the dipstick tube gets oil pulled up when you pull out the stick.

Pull it out, wipe it off, reinsert and get the reading from the side where the oil goes all the way across the stick.
Make a mental note for comparison to the next time.
I doubt you are going to see much (any) difference, but it's a good idea to check fluids to find an issue before it becomes a problem, and for your own peace of mind..

Don't Worry - Be Happy!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
53 Posts
Sorry I don’t have a 2019 but a 2015 2.5i. Plenty of power and a daily driver so no point for the turbo version. A 2019 doesn’t scare me at all without a turbo.

As far as oil consumption I haven’t had an issue. All my oil changes, except one, the oil level has stayed exactly the same as where I put it. The one that didn’t was a dealership oil change because I didn’t have time to do it myself. I don’t know what the difference between the oils but that oil change I lost 3/4 quart over 6k miles at 60-66k. I use Royal Purple oil myself. I now have over 96k on my Forester.

I hope this helps your peace of mind. Remember that when you look online you can find all complaints from everyone around the world. 10 complaints out of hundreds of thousands of vehicles isn’t a big concern.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 2.5i CVT
73 Posts
For what it's worth - my 2014 2.5 (picked up in 3/2013) didn't start to burn oil noticably until about 50,000 miles or so. Until that point, I was wondering what everyone else was talking about. That said, I certainly would like to believe that Subaru has licked this problem by now.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT7
145 Posts
2014 crosstrek 3 free oil changes @7000 mi interval recommended
I did changes it at 6000 and never seen oil consumption… (Subaru Oil )
Did 4th change at ~24k (mobil1) and by 30K lost 1/2 qt
5th at 30-36K (mobil1+winter mountain ski trip) 3/4 qt
6th 36-42 Pennzoil no oil loss (maybe 1/4)
7th + 42 started using Idemitsu oil and never seen Oil loss again 89k+ (trade in )

1 - 20 of 37 Posts