Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Forester Sport - 2019 and i used to use my Samsung S9 to connect to the Starlink using the USB.
For reasons unknown, one fine day Android Auto stopped working on Forester 2019.
The icon is disabled on the dashboard. I tried reinstalling the app, disconnecting the phone and reconnecting/registering with the bluetooth. But nothing works.
I recall this happened once before, but at that time, deleting and reinstalling the app fixed the problem.
But not anymore.
Anyone know if they had the same problem and how did you get it resolved.
FYI, I am from Canada.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
916 Posts
The first suspect with Android Auto is usually the cable. You want it to be as high quality and as short as possible. Cables that seem to be working for some purposes can still fail with Android Auto.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have Forester Sport - 2019 and i used to use my Samsung S9 to connect to the Starlink using the USB.
For reasons unknown, one fine day Android Auto stopped working on Forester 2019.
The icon is disabled on the dashboard. I tried reinstalling the app, disconnecting the phone and reconnecting/registering with the bluetooth. But nothing works.
I recall this happened once before, but at that time, deleting and reinstalling the app fixed the problem.
But not anymore.
FYI, I am from Canada.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem. Just bought my Forester Limited Wednesday. Got a message saying Android Auto is not compatible with my vehicle. Same with AT&T data service not functional in my vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
63 Posts
I had some troubles with this myself, when my 2019 Forester was new in April. The head unit or my phone (or both) seemed to be sensitive to disconnecting the phone from the USB at times. I do not use the Starlink app in the car. My phone (Samsung S9+) would indicate it was still connected to Android Auto even when I was not near the car. It would not reconnect since it thought it was already connected. At the time, I would have to power off the phone and reset the head unit to clear this issue. Sometimes it would clear by itself, if I was away from the car long enough. Since then, Google has updated the Android Auto app as well as the phone's OS and I have not had this issue since. I don't believe there were any updates to the head unit itself.

I suggest checking to see if you have the latest Android OS and especially the latest update to Android Auto. I am at Android 9, and AA version v4.5.592854-release.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It may also have something to do with the firmware. The '19 Forester just got the Harman units that started in the Impreza in '17. They don't always arrive from the factory with the latest and greatest firmware, and the dealers don't always update them before delivery.

Our '19 got the firmware updated last week and it was: 19.22.70

The first two numbers are the year and the second two the week, so that's the end of May, a much newer release than I've seen reported anywhere else.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium CVT
5 Posts
Android Auto has a new update to the phones which has been rolling out the past few weeks. I had to "Forget" the automobile in my Android Auto app (on the phone) and then set up Android Auto to work again with the Subaru. If you want to see the "new Android Auto" display in the car, you will need to check a box in the phone's Android Auto settings. I've been using the new Android Auto for a couple weeks and works well for me in the Forester (Pixel 3).

Tom

·
Premium Member
2019 Sport w/ Opt 24 pkg CVT
35 Posts
I'm also enjoying the new Android Auto, it is a nice improvement over the old version.

Whenever my '19 Sport won't connect to AA, I reset the head unit by holding the power button for about 10 seconds until it resets. That fixes it every time for me. I have to do this at least once a month.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I remember seeing a YouTuber saying to connect AA the phone need to be connected to the head unit via Bluetooth first and connect the USB cable. Call me crazy but keeping that stupid order I haven't seen any AA connection issue.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i ended up upgrading to the new Android and switched to the original Samsung USB cable. Android Auto is working again now...thanks everyone for pitching in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm also enjoying the new Android Auto, it is a nice improvement over the old version.

Whenever my '19 Sport won't connect to AA, I reset the head unit by holding the power button for about 10 seconds until it resets. That fixes it every time for me. I have to do this at least once a month.
Where is the reset button?

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
491 Posts
Our Honda did that as well. I unpaired and then re-paired it. It hasn't come back.
This is on a Samsung (so Droid).
Yeah, I know: this is not a Subaru but, regarding all this stuff, it is all the same, I suspect.

It does sometimes do weird counter-intuitive buggy things. It is probably written by someone that doesn't own a car, is my guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts

This!!! This!!! This!!!

Unfortunately I was starting a 7 hour drive when this happened and had removed the Android Auto app from my phone and reinstalled it. So I had to wait another 2 hours when we rested to reconnect it to the car.

All things considered...the reset totally worked and can be done while driving if needed. Thanks for fixing a quite annoying bug.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Canadian Sports doesn't come with navigator options.
My connection to Android Auto is flaky and even after using the OEM cable from my phone, it sometime stop working suddenly.
And pops ups later on. I explained this to the dealer, he says that unless they have a occurring pattern, they cannot do much.
So what next best can i do?
Has anyone used any GPS module etc?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This!!! This!!! This!!!

Unfortunately I was starting a 7 hour drive when this happened and had removed the Android Auto app from my phone and reinstalled it. So I had to wait another 2 hours when we rested to reconnect it to the car.

All things considered...the reset totally worked and can be done while driving if needed. Thanks for fixing a quite annoying bug.
Is it safe to reset during driving? Does it messes up with Eyesight and other things?

·
Registered
4 Posts
But not anymore.
FYI, I am from Canada.
Mine stopped after two months. I bought a new cable and it just started working again. I don't get it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Restart phone
Restart head unit
Change cables
Uninstall and Reinstall app on phone

One of those usually fixes the issue.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
916 Posts
1. Use the shortest, highest-quality cable possible.

2. Don't stash the phone where its reception will be intermittent. Yes, AA works with no cell reception. But the cell signal disconnecting and reconnecting can cause AA disruption, requiring a manual reconnection.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts