Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I purchased a brand new basic 2019 Subaru Forester a month ago. I placed an order on a Subaru dealership and my car will arrive in 2-3 weeks. The dealership salesperson offered me an additional service package for $695. He told me that I have to change engine oil and filter every 6 months in order to keep car's warranty, and that the cost of changing oil is $89. But if I buy the service package I will pay only $10. I figured that with this package I will pay upfront almost $700 and by saving on each oil change $79 I will get even only in 5 years.
So, my question: Is it worth for me to buy this service package? Do I need to go to that particular dealership and pay $89 to change engine oil or can I go to some less expensive shops?
Another question: What is the best place to buy a wheel lock set for me new, soon arriving, Subaru Forester. It will have steel wheels, not alloy wheels

Thanks, in advance.
Igor.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,335 Posts
First of all, the oil change interval is 6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Does the service package also include tire rotation which is due at the same 6 month/6,000 mile intervals? If not you'll be paying more than $10 every 6months/6,000 miles.

I would ask for a copy of service package's terms and conditions and review it carefully for "gotchas". When does it end? Also, what happens if the dealership sells to a new owner (not uncommon) or goes out of business?

You can have oil changes done at less expensive shops but make sure they use the specified oil in your owners manual and save your receipts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, the oil change interval is 6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Does the service package also include tire rotation which is due at the same 6 month/6,000 mile intervals? If not you'll be paying more than $10 every 6months/6,000 miles.

I would ask for a copy of service package's terms and conditions and review it carefully for "gotchas". When does it end? Also, what happens if the dealership sells to a new owner (not uncommon) or goes out of business?

You can have oil changes done at less expensive shops but make sure they use the specified oil in your owners manual and save your receipts.
Thank you very much for your answers. I did not have opportunity to read terms of the package. But you mentioned few important points. I'll ask these questions the salesperson before buying the package when my car arrives.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do NOT trust the salesman!
1. He may not even know the answer to your questions and will make up some BS to get you to buy
2. He will lie to you if it is too his advantage (and might also lie just to keep in practice)
3. If you cannot get printed info in your hand before signing, then don't

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
658 Posts
Do I need to go to that particular dealership and pay $89 to change engine oil or can I go to some less expensive shops?

Thanks, in advance.
Igor.
Be really careful about using “less expensive shops”, like the quick oil change places that are everywhere.
You best bet is to find an Independent Subaru repair shop, or a mechanic you have a trusted relationship with, or yes, the dealer. Don’t go by price when shopping for oil changes or the high school kid working at Bob’s Quick Lube is likely to drain your transmission by mistake one day

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Depending upon how long you plan on keeping your new Forester, your $695 might be better spent toward the purchase of a SOA extended warranty.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,927 Posts
So, you are going to buy a service package, but you don't know the terms, and you'll find out from the salesman...
What could go wrong?
Maybe you'll get lucky and at the last minute, the salesman will find you the new super-deluxe package with even more features he can't show you in print for only $1200 !!!
What a bargain.
Maybe they will throw in a free muffler bearing lube with every oil change. Normally $89.95, although they can't show you that in print, you have the salesman's word, and who knows, he might still be there in 3 weeks.

But wait - There's more - You can also get a one time only offer of a highly inflated warranty package at only twice the going rate. Now that's great savings. Normally they charge three times as much, so you save 33%..

Seriously...
Salesmen sell and your loss is their gain.
The prices you quoted are a rip off to begin with.
Many dealerships provide oil changes for free, at others every other oil change is free.
Some charge half of what they quoted you, or less, for a basic oil change.

Unless you can see the contract it is impossible for anyone, especially you, to have any idea if it is a great deal or a complete waste of money, or worse... What if that "purchase" is just a down payment.
When you sign you agree to whatever it is you agreed to. Hopefully the first born clause isn't in force.
Signing any contract without knowing what's in it can be a very large mistake.

You might want to check over your purchase invoice as well...
You may find some great overpriced add-ons you forgot that you didn't order with the car.
It happens.
There is a reason they are called stealerships.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much to all your answers and suggestions.
Usually, when I buy a new car I don't buy extended warranty or service packages. I did it once, many years ago, and just wasted money. But I only had Honda and Toyota cars before. I knew very well the cost of oil change and possible additional costs. Subaru is new to me. I don't know Subaru Forester maintenance requirements and schedule. I don't know cost of oil change and tire rotation. I don't know what else I need to do during first 5 years.
But, I don't drive a lot because I work only 3 miles from home. On average I drive about 3,000 - 4,000 miles a year.
Usually, after 5 years, when manufacture powertrain warranty expires I change oil myself. So, I am thinking that if the service package covers only oil change then I probably don't need it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
190 Posts
I was able to get a 2 year maintenance plan for free just by negotiating.. On the other hand, I was suckered into a 6year/60k "bumper to bumper" extended warranty.. paid under $1000. Needless to say, ill be canceling the extended coverage. My insurance company offers a better deal and I'm allowed to take it to anywhere to be fixed with a $250 deductible.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
276 Posts
I don't drive a lot because I work only 3 miles from home. On average I drive about 3,000 - 4,000 miles a year. Usually, after 5 years, when manufacture powertrain warranty expires I change oil myself. So, I am thinking that if the service package covers only oil change then I probably don't need it.
So if you change oil every six months, that's a Full Synthetic Oil Change at 1,500 - 2,000 miles! But your short trips are going to make that worth doing. Our local dealer charges $55 for an oil change (we drive a bit under 6,000 miles/year). It doesn't include a tire rotation, but you only need to do that every 6,000 miles or so. With our G015s from Discount Tire, rotation is free there. The other maintenance to do is change the wiper blades or inserts every six months.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Usually, when I buy a new car I don't buy extended warranty or service packages. I did it once, many years ago, and just wasted money. But I only had Honda and Toyota cars before
That's me, too. Although with all the electronics on cars these days, especially Eyesight, it has me reconsidering.

I don't drive a lot because I work only 3 miles from home. On average I drive about 3,000 - 4,000 miles a year.
Subaru defines repeated short distance driving as severe service requiring oil change intervals of 3,000miles/3 months.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
834 Posts
I bought one of those plans with my last Nissan from a Mega used dealer and never again. Unknown bulk oil and the cheapest filter known to man where what I would get, and somehow there was never time for the complimentary wash. Moreover, their inspections seemed geared to give me outrageous repair estimates that I could always get done elsewhere for half to a third the cost.
I got fed up with having to book an appointment and the waiting involved. Instead, I buy the oil filter and washer at the dealer, for roughly $12 tx included, 0w20 synthetic on sale for roughly $27 and change it myself when I want to and can spend a half-hour doing it. On the Subie, it's super easy, with the top-mounted filter, and it's high enough that you don't have to raise the car. It gives you a chance to examine your engine as well. The only pain in the butt on the Forester is reading the dipstick.
I will usually splurge once a year on a dealer change, but only because I want a second pair of eyes examining the vehicle and they give you a pretty comprehensive inspection for free with an oil change.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i 6M
20 Posts
Did you see: Body shop, insurance company repairs, and oil changes are not included in the plan.
My dealer always offered loaner cars for anything even oil changes, i never got them for oil changes though seemed service advisor was always great to deal with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts