Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
681 Posts
I have a 2016 Forester with Eyesight and use the Adaptive Cruise Control everyday on my commute to work as well as driving down local roads.
The Eyesight manual warns that ACC not be used in urban areas as it can be slow to react in complex situations. It can take 2-3 seconds to respond to new objects which means the car will have travelled 64-96 feet at 35 mph before Eyesight even begins to react.

Bottom line: Eyesight isn't designed to be the driver. That is our job. It is merely an aid to, hopefully, catch when we make a mistake and to ease the workload on long distant highway trips.

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
116 Posts
I have only read the OP's initial post, but from what I know, this is a known issue in the Eyesight system and with virtually all such systems. The system will recognize stopped vehicles at low approach speeds, but not high approach speeds. You definitely don't want to do the experiment to see what happens.

This is described in the Eyesight Manual, where they advise that pre-collision braking may not activate with a speed difference of > 30 mph between your Forester and the obstacle. I have seen system testing by the IIHS of the 2019 Forester among some 8 vehicles, and they tested this specific aspect. The Forester actually performed the best of the group on this test, but I think it only worked up to 45mph on a stopped "vehicle" (actually an inflated model of a vehicle, like an SUV-shaped balloon).

For what it's worth, the Forester was the best performer on virtually all tests the IIHS ran in that group. The worst was the BMW X1, whose systems had virtually no effect in any of the tests!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think that some people misunderstand where these systems are today. The Eyesight system is to my knowledge the best driver-assistance system available, with the exception of Tesla's. I think it's enormously useful for comfort, convenience, and safety. But it is best viewed as your backup, co-pilot, or assistant. It is NOT a replacement pilot (driver), i.e. it's not a peer to you, nor is it being represented as a peer to you. You still have to be the executive at all times.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
491 Posts
“For what it's worth, the Forester was the best performer on virtually all tests the IIHS ran in that group. The worst was the BMW X1, whose systems had virtually no effect in any of the tests!”

As a BMW 2-series owner, I can verify that statement... I tell folks my Forester has a collision avoidance system, and my BMW 2-series has a collision acknowledgement system. It’s night and day difference.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring AWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi all— I very much appreciate everybody’s input and attempts to help! I need to clarify that and absolutely no way am I relying on any of this technology to drive the car for me! It’s just that as I mentioned, my car has already been in for about a half dozen service visits in the first thousand miles, mostly “buggy“ electronic issues, but also a few safety concerns – – and I want to be absolutely sure that everything is working properly, so yes, I am “testing“ out the features, although cautiously.

To answer those who asked if the displays are showing the extra car when on ACC and Eyesight, the answer is I’m not sure – – but I will check that out next time I’m in a position to try this and will report back. It could be as was mentioned that because of the speed of travel, and the suddenly stopped cars ahead, that it is in fact not able to sense it, and that there is really no issue with how it’s functioning. The scenario I am describing, though, some people seem to say it works fine during… such as traveling at highway speed, the car in front that it is tracking pulls out to another lane, and up ahead there is entirely stopped traffic, which it does not seem to sense.

But please rest assured everyone, I am a very safe driver, and I am definitely not relying on this or any of my cars technology to drive it for me. 🙂

·
Registered
351 Posts
The situation you just described is when it probably won't work. It takes a few seconds to detect and lock onto a vehicle and in addition if the speed difference is too great it's not going to work. It's ment to follow a car. It will not ever come to a smooth stop when barreling down the highway at 65 miles per hour approaching stopped vehicles. It's not designed to do that.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
55 Posts
The scenario I am describing, though, some people seem to say it works fine during… such as traveling at highway speed, the car in front that it is tracking pulls out to another lane, and up ahead there is entirely stopped traffic, which it does not seem to sense.
I'm pretty sure EyeSight is not intended to be able to do that. The only time that EyeSight will slow you to a stop is if the tracked car ahead of you slows to a stop. If the tracked car ahead of you goes into another lane and there are stopped cars ahead, then it's the same situation as simply approaching stopped cars at highway speeds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You might want to set your Eyesight Settings to ECO, I always use it like that and I think everything its more smooth rather than normal which accelerates faster and hence brakes harder

·
Registered
275 Posts
works well for me. im a pretty bad driver myself. it wont let me tail gate and pressure slow drivers. And also when im texting, the lane centering function works wonders.

I dont know why the screen keeps saying 'keeps hands on the steering wheel'. haha

the eyesight will activate waay after your comfort of pressing the brakes to avoid the car in front.
im pretty sure even at faster speeds. I had one incident where the dude goes in front of me and hits his brakes to not miss his exit. I braked myself, but was planning on changing into his old lane to avoid him. Eyesight didnt like that and engaged the braking system. ~70mph.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You might want to set your Eyesight Settings to ECO, I always use it like that and I think everything its more smooth rather than normal which accelerates faster and hence brakes harder
I agree completely. The adaptive cruise system is safer, it works in more conditions, and provides a smoother and more natural experience if you set it to Eco acceleration and set your following distance long-ish.

·
Registered
116 Posts
...and for what it's worth, in my 2019, I had the full emergency braking experience in my first week with the car, and it was warranted and likely helped me avoid an accident when a pickup truck's driver changed its mind 3x, fishtailing in front on me as we approached a fork in the highway... I've also gotten the audible alarm without the braking twice, and both times were necessary - once while I was staring at the map on the screen while traveling in a spaghetti-like set of tunnels because I didn't know where to exit, but the GPS wasn't updating - turned out I was also barreling towards a traffic jam in one of the tunnels... so while it may not prevent every accident, I am glad it's there in my car!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a brand new 2019 Forester Touring, fully loaded with some extras (my 1st Subaru). I've had many early issues and numerous trips back to the shop, most recently to have the entire infotainment system replaced after updates only worsened literally dozens of issues, some safety-related but mostly annoying 'bugs' that weren't allowing me full or proper use of the features. I'm not sure if what I'm writing about here is a separate issue or still part of an ongoing technical issue with the car itself since some issues were fixed by the most recent repair/replacement deck... but 100% of the time, when I'm using the adaptive cruise and relying on EyeSight to sense slowed/stopped traffic ahead, it's not working. While it will pace OK with traffic while the cars ahead are in motion, anytime the traffic has come to a complete stop (at any speed including full highway speed) it will barrell toward the stopped cars at full speed and there's no way I'm going to let it go to see if it stops me pre-crash. If I didn't take over and brake in those last seconds I believe it would continue at FULL speed endlessly toward the stopped traffic (which we get a lot around the DC metro area). It's like if the traffic is stopped vs slowed, it doesn't sense it at all-- even to slow down, let alone stop. Is anyone else having this issue? I found numerous similar reports over the years on other forums for older models but the 2019 Forester is of course a 'new' car in many respects and there don't seem to be many reports on this that I've found. Thanks for any help or input!
We bought a 2019 Subaru Forester, our daughter was operating the vehicle the traffic came to an abrupt stop. My daughter stepped on the brakes the eyesight activated brake pedal started pulsating pedal went to the floor and the car continued to roll to hitting the vehicle in front of it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
491 Posts
We bought a 2019 Subaru Forester, our daughter was operating the vehicle the traffic came to an abrupt stop. My daughter stepped on the brakes the eyesight activated brake pedal started pulsating pedal went to the floor and the car continued to roll to hitting the vehicle in front of it.
This is a good example of how we often confuse driver assistant options with driver substitution devices.

These driver aids should NEVER be relied on as the first line of defense in everyday driving.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
681 Posts
My daughter stepped on the brakes the eyesight activated brake pedal started pulsating pedal went to the floor and the car continued to roll to hitting the vehicle in front of it.
This sound like anti lock braking activated and did your daughter maybe ease off when the pedal started pulsating? Has she ever braked hard enough to activate anti lock braking before? Have you? Most people never have and so can be shocked and confused by the pulsating and especially the noise.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts