Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fan in my wife's '19 goes wild. We take the system off 'Full Auto' but it always says 'Auto' on the display. The fan speed keeps changing all the time. I just want cold air blowing at a low speed, but that is not an option. It seems to get the fan to blow slowly you have to turn the temp way up. I thought it might work to just turn the temp to "Lo" and turn the fan down, but no dice.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Toruring model here. I have climate control set to mild. When turning the fan speed control knob to set desired speed the system display changes from "Full Auto" to "Auto". I assume this is because it's still regulating temperature. The fan speed stays at whatever speed I set until the Auto button is pressed. I have not witnessed the issue you've described. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Sport's AC was all kinds of whackadoodle until a faulty sensor switch was replaced.
FWIW, several folks at two different dealerships advised me to not ever use "full auto" because its sensors are placed in an area that makes it difficult for them (the sensors) to decide proper temp and all that. Try avoiding "full auto" for a while and see if it helps. Apparently this sensor issue isn't particular to Subaru only, so they said.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Sport's AC was all kinds of whackadoodle until a faulty sensor switch was replaced.
FWIW, several folks at two different dealerships advised me to not ever use "full auto" because its sensors are placed in an area that makes it difficult for them (the sensors) to decide proper temp and all that. Try avoiding "full auto" for a while and see if it helps. Apparently this sensor issue isn't particular to Subaru only, so they said.
We actually never use full auto. But the fan does go crazy. Was there a TSB on that sensor, or do you have more specific info so we can suggest it to the dealer?

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a TBS on a sensor, which was replaced the first time I brought my car in. That did not fix the problem. I had to leave the car for them to drive around until the ac failed, then they found the defective sensor switch which solved the issues. IDK if the second one was a TBS or something under warranty but it was repaired at no cost to me. The whole rigamarole was frustrating because for several visits the ac was fine for them but went wonky on my trip home, until they kept it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realized I never came back to give the resolution. The dealership replaced the AC blower motor and something the service writer only said was "a transistor". Unfortunately, even though the transistor nearly always goes when the blower has that problem, Subaru won't authorize replacing both at the same time. So I had to have them replace the blower motor then go back a week later for the transistor.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,696 Posts
If you have the auto ac system, leaving it in FULL AUTO keeps control of the system at the "whims" of the system, it will do what the programming suggest is the best way to regulate to X-degrees.

From my 2014 owner's guide -

Automatic climate control operation
When this mode is selected, the fan​
speed, airflow distribution, air-inlet control,​
and air conditioner compressor operation​
are automatically controlled. To activate​
this mode, perform the following​
Type C and D​
1. Depress the “AUTO” button. The​
indicator light “FULL AUTO” on the display​
illuminates.​
2. Set the preferred temperature using​
the temperature control dial.​
NOTE
. The controllable temperature range​
may vary depending on the regional​
specifications of the vehicle.​
. If you operate any of the buttons on​
the control panel other than the “OFF”​
button, rear window defogger button​
and temperature control dial(s) during​
FULL AUTO mode operation, the​
“FULL” indicator light on the control​
panel will turn off and the “AUTO”​
indicator light will remain illuminated.​
You can then manually control the​
system as desired using the button​
you operated. To change the system​
back to the FULL AUTO mode, press​
the “AUTO” button.​
3. To turn off the climate control system,​
press the “OFF” button.​

This is for both "C" and "D" type systems, for the 2014, C was single and D was dual climate control (driver & passenger). As referenced, this leaves the system automatically controlled to meet your temp requirements. leaving the unit in "AUTO" mode will allow the system to maintain the temperature by using all climate functions (heat, AC or just vent) to regulate the temp you've selected.

·
Registered
2020 Limited - Crystal white pearl
120 Posts
I have an Auto system, but my issue is actually occurring outside of auto mode(which i never use). The fan basically sounds like a kid is playing with the knob, twisting it back and forth on a whim, sounding like a gusty wind storm, for lack of a better description. 1st run at the dealer provided no solution, they said it acted normally. It was doing this when i dropped it off, and shortly after i picked it up. I have tried swapping both the blower motor AND the resistor(EDIT: inadvertently wrote Transistor). Both times it provided about a day of normal operation before returning to this issue

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,272 Posts
@Anchorend I hope you mean the dealer replaced the blower and “transistor” for you under warranty, not yourself. Your dealer said the fan surging heard in the video is normal?? Odd. I would give them one more chance to repair, then get a call into Subaru of America. You should not have to find a different dealer for a warranty repair, unless you’re concerned they will break other things in the course of the repair.

·
Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
204 Posts
@Anchorend iirc if you set the fan speed yourself (turn the knob) it stays where you set it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hope you mean the dealer replaced the blower and “transistor” for you under warranty, not yourself. Your dealer said the fan surging heard in the video is normal?? Odd. I would give them one more chance to repair, then get a call into Subaru of America. You should not have to find a different dealer for a warranty repair, unless you’re concerned they will break other things in the course of the repair.
No, I personally replaced with OE parts, then returned them when they ended up not being the issue. Ive unfortunately been without my forester for a total of 6 weeks in the first 8 months or so of this year, so just hate dropping it off for an unknown amount of time, and if easy and cheap enough have no problem dealing with myself, however clearly this is getting beyond that. When the vehicle is at the dealer it has all of its original parts in it, with no signs of being touched, and both items are as easy to change out as a cabin filter. It was a Resistor, not transistor, mixed the terms up when i was typing, but will edit my original post to reflect. I will likely try a different dealer, as this plus one other issue were essentially blown off (pun slightly intended).

iirc if you set the fan speed yourself (turn the knob) it stays where you set it.
Not quite sure what you mean? The knob is untouched and auto mode is disengaged when the surging/gusting is happening

·
Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
204 Posts
@Anchorend I'm saying, if you want the fan to stay put, use the fan speed knob to set it. Otherwise it automatically adjusts to meet the temperature setting.

·
Registered
120 Posts
@Rorgaard Which is what I'm doing. Even if it were in Auto climate mode, i wouldn't think that the gusting/surging would be normal/acceptable, however there is no form of climate control engaged, and the fan speed is being set by turning the knob. At any given level (in the video it is left at full blast, you can hear the rapid surging/gusting) then dialed back a couple of settings 1 at a time, with the same issue occurring. I've been in 3 other similar model year Subarus(2 different trim levels of outback, and an identical trim level forester) that did not behave like this.

·
Registered
120 Posts
@Anchorend Just to be clear - the dealer heard the exact same surging as in your video and pronounced it normal?

Let us know how this turns out. It's all quite odd.
Unfortunately I was not present when they gave it a listen. They said they tried to listen, several times, and "couldnt find anything wrong". It was occurring but less severely at the time, but was happening when i dropped off, and when i picked it up. (both were essentially after hours due to my work schedule) Its intermittent-ness has been frustrating, but it has gotten bad enough now it just happens almost every time the car is on. Will keep posted in case this comes up for other people.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts