Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried out 60" cross bars on the 2019 Forester yet?
I know that part SOA567X010 is the 53" Thule Wingbar Evo, but I'm looking at the 60" bars instead and trying to get an idea of how much they stick over the sides of the roof.

The mirrors from end to end are ~80.5" (as I measured) and the declared width of the Forester is 71.5" so technically, the 60" bars are fine. But, would like to see if anyone has any practical experience with them on the 2019 body.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I thought of that but I'm looking for feedback with practical experience with the 60" bars, as stated.

·
admin
2019 Outback 3.6R ..... 98 Forester S - Atl, GA
6,732 Posts
I cut our 50's down to 48 and this was on the larger outback. I custom sized the Forester ones to something similar. We in the mountains now and the Forester is home chiilin. Can measure them later. I dislike the over sized ones that you wack your head on.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's partially what I'm worried about.

But I want to get 4 kayaks up top and I'm not sure the shorter bars will be enough.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Still hoping someone has some practical experience with the longer bars.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right. I didn't ask if anyone has experience with 4 kayaks on top of the Forester. I'm not only going to haul kayaks.

I asked if anyone has practical experience with 60" bars on the Forester. It's inconsequential what you're hauling up top. I am curious to know how they fit and if they get in the way in real world usage.

I can mock up bars all I want, but that's not going to give me any real world usage feedback.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,284 Posts
..."want to get 4 kayaks up top and I'm not sure the shorter bars will be enough."
I am sure Amazon or Ebay has many many reviews on the bars you want.

More than you will get here.

As long as they are not directly inline with your head as you get into the car, your head will be safe.

Maybe some bar designs are easier to remove in between times that you will need them.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate your assistance. Still not what I asked, but thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
611 Posts
I know that part SOA567X010 is the 53" Thule Wingbar Evo, but I'm looking at the 60" bars instead and trying to get an idea of how much they stick over the sides of the roof.

The mirrors from end to end are ~80.5" (as I measured) and the declared width of the Forester is 71.5" so technically, the 60" bars are fine. But, would like to see if anyone has any practical experience with them on the 2019 body.
Not specific to any vehicle but I've had long bars on roofs. Only negative was the potential for head bumps (OW!) or worse if you are tall , eye gouges. Something bright and/or soft on the ends helps. Upside is more room for toys.

GD

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
31 Posts
I have 48” crossbars but they contain pullouts to aid in loading kayaks. I pulled them out 6” on each side to match what a 60” bar would look like. It looks to me like a hazard for anyone getting in or out or even walking between parked cars. You better stick a tennis ball on the ends to prevent getting poked in the face if you use 60” crossbars on your Forester.
9687EF19-220D-4420-833E-313B09B22962.jpeg
0029B0E0-03A9-4776-A531-E3982F0F6BD7.jpeg

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have 48” crossbars but they contain pullouts to aid in loading kayaks. I pulled them out 6” on each side to match what a 60” bar would look like. It looks to me like a hazard for anyone getting in or out or even walking between parked cars. You better stick a tennis ball on the ends to prevent getting poked in the face if you use 60” crossbars on your Forester. View attachment 524976 View attachment 524977
Thanks, appreciate the photos. They are very helpful. Might stick with the 53" bars then.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
31 Posts
I have 66" Yakima bars on my 2014 Foz all summer. They're fine, the body panels are wider than the bars and the mirrors stick out further yet.
The 2019 is even a little wider, 71.5" not counting the mirrors. I've never hit my head on them.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks!
Haven't made a decision yet, appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
141 Posts
Thanks. Still hoping someone has some practical experience with the longer bars.
I have 60 inch Yakima JetStream bars on my 2019. I needed the extra length to use with a rooftop tent and awning at the same time. I would not have enough room with the shorter bars. Very glad I got the 60 inch. No kayaks, but I also put snowboards and paddle boards up there. I can have two paddle boards (wide!) with the awning on the side and have plenty of room. They work great, no issues that I’ve had. I had the bars on a Crosstrek previously and hit my head on them several times. I have not (so far) on the Forester.

Reply if you’d like a particular photo or have a particular question I might be able to answer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts