Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as today was a relatively nice day, weather-wise, and my car desperately needing a wash, I took my 2019 Forester Premium to a full-service car wash in town for a once over.

I was super nervous about this whole process. Between the eyesight camera fragility (not being able to be cleaned if they get sprayed), the eyesight system potentially locking up the breaks while passing through the car wash, etc. I was very apprehensive to hand over my Roo to the washers.

I’m disabled, so I can’t wash it myself, before anyone suggests this.

As I entered the wash place, I made sure to point out the eyesight cameras to the first set of people working on the car. I told them they should not spray the window with cleaner and needed to be careful when wiping them. They told me that the windows were the last thing done and to be sure to tell the employees working on that line about the cameras.

As I entered the building to pay, I realized that while I did turn off the anti-collision and lane departure assist systems, I had accidentally turned off the vehicle as I got out. This is a pet peeve of mine that if you turn off the lane departure warning, it remains off the next time you restart the vehicle. But not the same for anti-collision. (I do recognize why this is a good idea... but I think there are better ways to approach it!)

So, I raced back down to the entry area to tell them “I forgot something” and got back in to start the vehicle and turn off the anti-collision system again. This time I left the vehicle running.

Fast forward to seeing the car exit the wash, in one piece. Thankful, I told the gentleman heading towards the vehicle with a squirt bottle about the cameras. He nodded in understanding, but as I turned around, saw him squirt some fluid all over my dash and lower window. I prayed the spray didn’t make it to the cameras (it didn’t).

So as he was wrapping up wiping everything inside down, I noticed he kept wiping the touchscreen to the radio and such down many times. Thought it was odd, but it does collect dust and fingerprints.

As I drive away, I noticed my touch screen wouldn’t respond to my touch. I pulled over and tried again, no such luck. I held the power/volume knob and let it go black, then turned it back on and still no luck.

I could change the volume with the knob, switch screens with the hard buttons below, and could operate from the steering wheel... but no touch would work. So I grabbed by eyeglass cleaner and cloth and wiped it down, thinking it may be the film of product they used. While wiping the screen, some things would react, but very sluggish and never with direct touch. Even shutting down the vehicle, opening the driver door and closing, and restarting did not fix it.

Fed up and furious, I was about to head back to the wash and demand they pay to fix the unit, assuming someone hit it too hard or got too much liquid in it. (Which I’m still not sure what caused the issue)... but I did one last search of the net to see if there was any issue. While I couldn’t find anything for my model (2019 Forester) or even the 6” unit (as opposed to the articles about the 8” with nav)... I did come across a forum which mentioned a manual reboot of the unit. And THIS my friend is the reason for this long post.

Should you encounter a touchscreen that won’t respond to touch but otherwise seems to be working, to reboot, you seem to need to turn off the engine, open the driver door (and exit if you wish), close the door and lock the vehicle. Wait FIVE MINUTES, then unlock the vehicle, start it, and voila, the touchscreen was back to its usual self.

Now, whether this just gave the unit time to dry out or evaporate the whatever still on the screen or just doing a series of silly actions causes it to work... I’m not sure. But that’s what the other forum suggested and it is exactly what worked for me.

After all this, I think this new Roo might just stay dirty rather than go through all this again just for a scrub down. Hahaha!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
The car wash had nothing to do with the issue. Touchscreens have been in vehicles for years now with no problems from cleaning.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
627 Posts
Do a search for infotainment problems. This, as already mentioned had nothing to do with the car wash. It's Subaru's crappy new head units and software.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,815 Posts
If the unit was on when the car wash attendant was wiping down the touch screen, perhaps it just locked up from touching too many "buttons" at once. I've had that happen when cleaning my smart phone screen. I think this is more likely the case than spray getting into it.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry y’all. I didn’t mean to imply the car wash had anything to do with it itself, but exactly what @ForesterBill said... that wiping it down caused the freeze.

The post was meant to highlight the pitfalls of the newer Foz and car washes in general, but mostly on how to reset the head unit should it lock up. I seriously thought I was in for a trip to the dealership.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts