Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
No clearance issues. Stock wheels. I was worried that the Rokblokz mudflats might contact the tyre. But they are thinner than the Subabru mudflats sold as accessories. Here in NZ the Sport comes without any mudflats, but the holes are predrilled. So Rockbloz install for was easy and took less than 30 minutes for all 4 mudflaps, and with no wheels needing to be removed to do the install.

Ride is very nice. Little changed from stock. No extra road noise noticed. Loudest thing is my roof box, so any and additional road noise from tyres is masked by wind noise from above.

Overall look is More Purposeful. Very pleased that I went down this route.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No clearance issues. Stock wheels. I was worried that the Rokblokz mudflats might contact the tyre. But they are thinner than the Subabru mudflats sold as accessories. Here in NZ the Sport comes without any mudflats, but the holes are predrilled. So Rockbloz install for was easy and took less than 30 minutes for all 4 mudflaps, and with no wheels needing to be removed to do the install.

Ride is very nice. Little changed from stock. No extra road noise noticed. Loudest thing is my roof box, so any and additional road noise from tyres is masked by wind noise from above.

Overall look is More Purposeful. Very pleased that I went down this route.
View attachment 524545
So no rubbing at all with your front wheels turned locked out?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I find it interesting that the Hankooks 235's don't rub and the OP mentioned that these are slightly wider than the 235's from Yokohama G15 and we have confirmation from @QMaze that his G15 rubs slightly on lockouts. Would appreciate more feedbacks from @OneAUout and @jrharvey and @Davesxx01 regarding the Hankook tires in regards to rubbing during lockouts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I find it interesting that the Hankooks 235's don't rub and the OP mentioned that these are slightly wider than the 235's from Yokohama G15 and we have confirmation from @QMaze that his G15 rubs slightly on lockouts. Would appreciate more feedbacks from @OneAUout and @jrharvey and @Davesxx01 regarding the Hankook tires in regards to rubbing during lockouts.

Thanks!
I really can't explain it. It doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it's just the shape of the tire or the geolanders have ridges that stick out where rubbing occurs. Maybe their cars are heavily loaded down with extra weight somewhere and going over bumps when it rubs. Not sure. I DID install 5mm spacers even though I didn't see any rubbing just in case it rubbed under other conditions. I don't think I'm gonna see any rubbing at all now. I tested it pretty extensively before the spacers though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I really can't explain it. It doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it's just the shape of the tire or the geolanders have ridges that stick out where rubbing occurs. Maybe their cars are heavily loaded down with extra weight somewhere and going over bumps when it rubs. Not sure. I DID install 5mm spacers even though I didn't see any rubbing just in case it rubbed under other conditions. I don't think I'm gonna see any rubbing at all now. I tested it pretty extensively before the spacers though.
Thanks for taking the time for providing your comments. On the spacers, I would assume you put them on the fronts and rears?
I'm thinking and wondering if we got the fronts sized at 225/55/18 and the rears at 235/60/18 if it would remedy the rubbing issues on the front. Not sure if this staggered setup would cause any other issues though? My X5 has the staggered setup from the factory and that's where I got the idea from.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thanks!
Do have a closer look at the Yokohama G15s. They are a larger diameter. Tread depth, not wheel size would appear to be the issue here. A G15 fills more of the wheel-well than the Hankook. The more aggressive and slightly taller Yokohama tyre reaches deeper into the wheel-well. The 235 Width of the the tyre is not the issue as I see it.

Parked, at full lock, there is no contact ie. no rubbing. There's an adult male's finger clearance between tyre and inner mudguard at full lock. Haven't had a full front suspension compression event, so cannot tell you more. But as my driving style is gravel roads and across fields, I doubt I'll ever use my full suspension travel.

Rear is no issue. I'll post a better photo of the front at full lock when I'm back home tonight (driving my wife's car today).- Ross

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Geolandars are the tallest of the group hence they reason they rub, remember they are simply rubbing on the extruded wheel well plastic liner, I bet a heat gun would solve any rubbing no matter how slight. There is no tire contact simply turning lock to lock, only when suspension is compressed, like an off camber section, ie, going into a driveway and its momentary cause I'm careful. Actually wouldn't even occur if the stock springs were not so soft.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks! I think I like the look of the Hankooks tread pattern better. Tirerack is having a $70 rebate which ends on Oct 13th. I think I'll snag these and put them on as soon as the car arrives at the dealership.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hankooks are definitely a great looking tire, I probably would have gone with hose but were not available to the Canadian market at the time.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts