Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Sport. I replaced the OEM wheels/tires with Black Rhino Boxer wheels and Pirellli Scorpion 225/65R17. Tires are high-quality: as quiet as stock, and much better in rain and snow. But they looked undersized on my car.

I recently swapped them to another car and installed a set of Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail 245/65R17. I hadn't intended to buy new tires for my car that day, but they seemed okay. They look great; they are bigger and also seem to give the illusion of some offset. The ride seems a bit bouncier. That may be tire pressure. I can live with it.

No surprise, they rub a little bit at full lock. And so I have some questions before I run out of time to swap them out for something smaller. I've read lots of threads on the forums. I'm okay with the increased unsprung weight negatively affecting gas mileage.

Questions:
  • Are there any safety issue with the bigger tires? EyeSight seems fine. Stability?
  • Will these affect wear, maintenance, or warranty? I drive off road only when getting access to bike and hiking trails, and not very often.
  • What is the best way to modify the fenders so they don't rub?
  • Would I be better off with 235/65R17?
See photos: 1) comparison of my setup next to a stock 2019 sport with OEM, 2) rub marks inside the front fenders.

Thanks!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive tire Wood Water Tread Tints and shades
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2021 Forester Base Automatic
309 Posts
The only real safety issues will be much worse handling on the road, especially if you need to swerve for an emergency maneuver and your braking will be worse. There will be more wear and tear on every component as the car will have to work harder to accelerate, brake , and absorb bumps, not sure how much more however. The ride may be bouncier because you are overloading the stock components. Warranty is up to the dealer but they have a right to say no, their warranty is for the car they sold you with the original size tires, not the ones that cause accelerated wear and tear. It does look cool however so I can understand why some do this. Since you don't go off road often it's illogical to decrease your on road performance for those tires but sometimes we do things because they are fun. Maybe consider 60 instead of 65 series so it looks bigger but isn't soo extreme?

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,247 Posts
I would get tires that fit without rubbing. There is no performance metric where your 245's, especially when they rub, that will surpass the stock size. You have a 4 cylinder compact SUV, not a Ford Raptor pickup.

6" stripper heels look great on women, but they're not good for hiking mountain trails or running marathons. People sure spend a lot of money on huge wheels and tires for some kind of ego boost.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Bottom line -- looks or safety; superficiality or functionality?

Reactions: fujisan

·
Registered
2022 Wilderness Geyser Blue
373 Posts
On a side note, does anyone know if a 225/65R17 tire will fit in the spare slot? I'm about to buy a wilderness and I'm curious if I could get away with that small increase in tires size and still keep it in there. I spent about 30 minutes searching the forums last night and couldn't find an answer for that specific size.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,613 Posts
OE size is 225 60 17 you are increasing over 7%. Hope you changed rims because I think 245 requires a wider rim than the stock 17x7

The above includes a report of what it will do. Personally I don't think the hit in gas mileage and extra stress on the suspension is worth it. It will also worsen handling in bad conditions which is one of the reasons to get a Subie in the first place.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
233 Posts
Keep em. They look good and are barely rubbing. How often do you have to turn your tires to full lock? The tires will wear down and the rubbing with be less. Like Quadraria said its a 7% increase not that dramatic. You won't have any safety issues. Have you actually measured the difference in weight between the new and stock tires? I doubt its that much.

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
82 Posts
On a side note, does anyone know if a 225/65R17 tire will fit in the spare slot? I'm about to buy a wilderness and I'm curious if I could get away with that small increase in tires size and still keep it in there. I spent about 30 minutes searching the forums last night and couldn't find an answer for that specific size.
Yes it does, just.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
172 Posts
The 225/65R17 won't fit in my 2017 in the US, but I hear it fits well in other parts of the world.
When I look at the spare-tire well, it is round except for the wall by the back bumper, that section is almost flat. When I tried to hammer, pry and force an unmounted 225/65R17 into the spare well, before I got it all the way in I was worried it would split the seem on the rear panel. I had to stand inside the tire and pull up with both hands to get the tire out, if it had been on a rim I would have needed an engine hoist, to pop it out like a big cork.

I have often wondered if that back panel has more dish to it, in other parts of the world?
Here in the US, the well looks like it was made for a permanently flat tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts