Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited AT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Forester this weekend! Went to the tint shop and put 15% on the front and 55% on the back (over the factory privacy glass). I haven't seen many tint pictures on the forum so hopefully this will help somebody make a decision. Enjoy :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited AT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, it is a little dark in the front. I'm thinking of dropping to 35% to keep it legal. My last 2 cars have always been 15% or 20% up front and I have never had any problems. I'm in FL and it is almost necessary to go this dark.

·
Registered
2019 Sport
19 Posts
I got Lummar CTX film (ceramic) 15% on the fronts and 50% over the rest of the factory so it matches. I live in Florida as well and really helps with sun. Still can see ok out the sides at night too.

I did have a concern that the darker tint might interfere with the auto dimming rear view and side mirrors making it impossible to see whats behind me but its fine.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited AT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will need to adjust to the darkness at night. Like you said, the auto dimming mirrors seem to make it a little difficult at night time. I still think the cooler car during the day and knowing my interior will hold up is worth it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
515 Posts
Frankly, the oblique sun angle on the side windows isn't the huge solar gain in hot climates. It is the relatively flat and huge windshield that allows significant heat to enter the cabin. Black out completely the side and rear window and you have done little to reduce the solar energy gain.

I cut the solar energy coming into my Forester in half without degrading the ability to see clearly at night, in the rain and any other dreary condition. Makes a huge difference in comfort in the hot south.

In addition, I reduced 97% of the infra red spectrum that is the strongest, and 99.9% of the UV.

Additionally, I reduced glare by 22%.

Lifetime transferable warranty too, registered with VIN and 3M.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited AT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I went back to the tint shop and took the 15% off the front and replaced it with 35%. It is now 100% legal and still looks great. Much better visibility at night. I would not suggest going too dark on the front 2 windows.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
Well, I went back to the tint shop and took the 15% off the front and replaced it with 35%. It is now 100% legal and still looks great. Much better visibility at night. I would not suggest going too dark on the front 2 windows.
The shop should not have installed 15% tint knowing the state limit is 28% for the front windows.
Do you happen to know what percentage the factory rear windows are?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited AT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The shop should not have installed 15% tint knowing the state limit is 28% for the front windows.
Do you happen to know what percentage the factory rear windows are?

He suggested to match the front with the back. I was told the rear windows are not tinted, it is privacy glass that does absolutely nothing for heat reduction. He said the rear windows were 18% more specifically it was called "true 18". So he put 75% on the back to bring it to 15% and tinted the front to 15%. It matched perfectly! I just did not like it at night time. Honestly, the 35% still looks great. I will snap some pictures today.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
Vehicle looks real nice. I have an appointment in the next couple weeks to have a shop look over the Foz and I’ll let them know what you did after they recommend their opinion.
Just want to stay within the legal limit.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
66 Posts
@harley25s

Did you tint the rear windows in 75 or 55? How is the visibility out the rear windows at night?

I have an appointment in 2 weeks for my windows to be tinted. I want ceramic tint and the only ceramic tint the shop carries ranges from 15% to 45%.

So, I was planning to have the rear privacy glass tinted in 45% and the fronts tinted in 25%... but I’m not sure if that will make the rear windows too dark for nighttime driving.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited AT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@harley25s

Did you tint the rear windows in 75 or 55? How is the visibility out the rear windows at night?

I have an appointment in 2 weeks for my windows to be tinted. I want ceramic tint and the only ceramic tint the shop carries ranges from 15% to 45%.

So, I was planning to have the rear privacy glass tinted in 45% and the fronts tinted in 25%... but I’m not sure if that will make the rear windows too dark for nighttime driving.

45% on the rear sounds like it might be too dark. I will look at my invoice later and let you know. It was either 55% or 75% in the back. Any darker would most likely make it difficult to see at night.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
66 Posts
Just spoke with the tint installer. He confirmed he put 55% on the back.
Awesome! Thank you for checking on that.

Do you have any issues with seeing out at night with the 55? I'm still deciding on whether I should tint the privacy glass 45 and fronts 25 or just get the shop to tint the front only to match the back.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited AT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would 100% tint the privacy glass. The privacy glass does NOTHING to protect form UV rays. In FL It is necessary in order to keep the car cool and protect the interior. I have zero issues at night when looking out the back windows. If I were to do it again I would just stay within legal limit as dark as possible on the front and rear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts