Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT CVT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just want to share my observation on my relatively new 2018 XT. We do make a NorCal - SoCal annually, and this is the first time we drove our 2018 XT at 10k miles. Before that we always drove the 2012 3.6R.
It seems that I got 25.2MPG (computer display) as advertised. This is a 400-mile journey on relatively flat and straight I-5 with some traffics in LA area.
I guess 25MPG on the XT is not too bad, but believe it or not, I got roughly the same MPG out of the 3.6R for the same route. One time I remember the 3.6R computer showed 26MPG (North to South route).
What do you guys think? Is it expected the 2.0T to have slight MPG advantage over the 3.6R? Considering I use premium for the XT, and regular on the 3.6R, the 3.6R is cheaper to operate.

Edit: also, the XT has CVT and the 3.6R is conventional AT.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
619 Posts
Considering the XT and the 3.6 have the same mileage rating on the highway, that's not a surprising result. The 3.6 will be a dog in the city though...6 cylinders eat up gas like no tomorrow in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
912 Posts
I think the economy gauge on the dashboard displays either the instantaneous economy or the economy based on the last (adjustable?) measure of distance travelled or fuel consumed. So if you happened to look at it when going downhill heading towards the coast etc, it's not really information that indicates anything.

I use a spreadsheet that takes the volume of fuel purchased and the odometer reading that gives me the numbers I want. It also takes the price per unit volume paid and gives me the cash economy as well, but the fuel price isn't really related to the physical/mechanical stuff and is a measure of a different type. If you're not handy with spreadsheets there are eg smartphone apps that can give you almost the same functionality. Since you are always returning home the information from these calculations will be more useful for figuring out the true operational cost of each vehicle (fuel economy only) than what the dashboard gauge says on a certain strip of road.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know its apple to oranges but my 2019 Forester gets about 32 mpg in San Diego with about 95 highway driving. I expect it would get 33mpg all highway on a perfectly level freeway.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,301 Posts
There are too many variables to draw a conclusion from one trip. Yes, the 2012 should have gotten slightly poorer highway MPG (mostlt because of the XT's CVT, which adds several MPG), but by at most 2 or 3 mpg -- and only if all variables were equal. Those include headwinds, ambient temperature, average speed, tire type and condition, traffic density, use/type of cruise control, etc.

My 2015 2.5i will normally get 32-33mpg on highway trips at my usual relaxed pace (60-65mph). On one road trip driving 70+mph through the mountains of Pennsylvania in stormy weather on brand new tires, it dropped to 28mph. Nothing was wrong; it was just a confluence of negative factors.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT CVT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is true that there are many factors that could affect the MPG, but the two trips I compared above, the factors were most likely very similar. Same road, similar traffic, similar rest area stop, similar summer weather (AC on).

I was hoping my XT perform the same, if not better, considering this number from www.fueleconomy.gov:
2.0T = 23/25/27
3.6R = 20/18/24

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,301 Posts
I think that one trip is simply insufficient data from which to draw any conclusions.

·
Banned
6 Posts
So Friday was our anniversary and I decided to go to Big Bear for the weekend. Filled before we left and again when we got home. Stopped at the same gas station and we got 30.86 MPG. It was only 208 miles round-trip but considering we drove up to over 8300 feet above sea level I think it did pretty good.

Snaptube Telegram Web

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,082 Posts
Any more long trips like this where you can compare past/present mileage on such long trips?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,802 Posts
I have gotten 30.5 mph on my 18XT. My wife gets 23 mpg around town I get 25 mpg.
The nice thing is when ou drive the gauge tells you your boost from -11psi to 13psi. I almost always keep it in the "-" territory. My wife..not so much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts