Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share that I just had my factory nav+HK headunit replaced by a new Pioneer with Android Auto/Apple Carplay. I've seen a few threads asking if we could upgrade so I wanted to say yes we can and it looks really, really nice. I did pay a shop to do the install + install remote start because I was intimidated by the stereo install. I do know that they used the Maestro RR2 and connected through the factory amp. Starlink seems to work, I pressed the blue button and it the call was played over the speakers. It even uses the factory back up sensors and displays on the screen beside the camera.
20210427_123437.jpg 20210426_180116.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
33 Posts
Nice! May I ask what model and size? I used to go for Pioneer or Alpine, but don't know too much about the current models. Wondering if any of the functions were lost due to this install, like loss of steering wheel controls etc. Possibly an improvement will be with Pioneer's GPS?

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, for sure. It's the Pioneer DMH W4660NEX with 6.8" screen. I thought I had attached more photos showing GPS. It has wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play so it uses those maps instead of built in GPS. It has Maestro support so full steering wheel controls work and the voice button activates Google Assistant when I'm using Android Auto. It also further integrates with the car showing information like individual tire pressures, backup sensors, door open warnings, etc. and lets you change any settings for the car like lighting delays, alarm settings, etc. that are accessed via the 3 buttons on the steering wheel. I'm beyond happy with it.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
33 Posts
Thanks. I checked out the different systems they had online and I see everyone is now making large ipad style recievers. Cool that they can get a larger display, unfortunately it's not flush with the dash.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about getting one of those but I knew it would eat at my brain with it not looking "integrated".

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
681 Posts
I knew it would eat at my brain with it not looking "integrated".
I think that depends. I personally find 10-inch plus screens are way too big for any Forester, just not enough space between air vents and climate controls etc. Works incredibly well in large trucks however.

The major brands with 9 inch and above screens only offer up/down and tilt, so it’s a little better.

I am however interested in 8 and 9-inch units that can also be angled towards the driver. Very few do, and even fewer finish the back properly, so not only do they stick out, they also look unfinished.

jdtram’s unit looks well suited for this model.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
33 Posts
Hmmm I'd like to see someone with an 8, 9, or 10 to see how it looks and check out how much it obstructs buttons etc. i guess it wouldn't be horrible since we already have a double din vs a single

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,286 Posts
Congratulations! It looks great. I love the Sony I installed in my 2015 (replacing the old-school Clarion crapfest it came with). I'm also thankful I never had to deal with the HK workarounds or the higher level of integration in the 2019+ models. I feel like we ended up with the best of all possible worlds: a modern infotainment system with flawless Android Auto, in a dash where there are manual controls for everything else, plus a tolerable level of automated safety systems. I'm gonna post this picture again because I love how it looks (2015 2.5i Premium):
IMG_20190619_151316.jpg

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,050 Posts
Very promising. Thank you for this update. Let us know how it goes from time to time.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some additional photos. That piano black dash kit sure does love fingerprints and dust. :| I really don't like the super small controls for volume. I mean, the steering wheel controls work but I really miss being able to quickly spin the volume knob to turn it down in a hurry. Sound is great. On par with or a little better than factory with the HK amp.
20210501_100949.jpg 20210501_100531.jpg
Same car settings available in the multifunction are now available through the stereo . Canbus is pretty amazing.
20210501_101542.jpg

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Congratulations! It looks great. I love the Sony I installed in my 2015 (replacing the old-school Clarion crapfest it came with). I'm also thankful I never had to deal with the HK workarounds or the higher level of integration in the 2019+ models. I feel like we ended up with the best of all possible worlds: a modern infotainment system with flawless Android Auto, in a dash where there are manual controls for everything else, plus a tolerable level of automated safety systems. I'm gonna post this picture again because I love how it looks (2015 2.5i Premium):

View attachment 551959
Thanks! That looks really nice. I love the upgraded stereo but I wish the Pioneer I got had physical buttons. Also, I need to get a nice steering wheel cover to cover up that fake "leather stitched" steering wheel that feels like total plastic.
edited for typos

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,286 Posts
I wanted to get one of those leather covers you have to lace up, bu my hands aren’t up to it. Mostly I just wanted a thicker steering wheel, more comfortable with my arthritis, so I went with the cheapie.

The original Clarion in my Forester was, of course, all knobs and buttons. But I was mostly using the SW controls anyway, so the transition was seamless. I only use the touch screen with apps, and even then voice control usually works better. The Sony mic, installed at the base of the mirror, works better than the original Subaru mic ever did.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow. That is significantly cheaper than the HU+install that I paid. :oops:

·
Registered
2017 FXT SJ CVT
12 Posts
Just wanted to share that I just had my factory nav+HK headunit replaced by a new Pioneer with Android Auto/Apple Carplay. I've seen a few threads asking if we could upgrade so I wanted to say yes we can and it looks really, really nice. I did pay a shop to do the install + install remote start because I was intimidated by the stereo install. I do know that they used the Maestro RR2 and connected through the factory amp. Starlink seems to work, I pressed the blue button and it the call was played over the speakers. It even uses the factory back up sensors and displays on the screen beside the camera.
View attachment 551847 View attachment 551848
Oh my. This is mighty tempting.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where did you get the trim kit? Or did the shop supply it? Planning on doing the install myself.
Shop supplied it. You can order one from Crutchfield, Best Buy, or most stereo shops. It's the same as the WRX so they're common.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts