Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Ive been reading on the forum and it seems that our Forester has a rather bumpy ride. I have a 18 XT touring with 20mm RSB upgrade and stock everything else. I notice that the car feels unsteady especially on roads with multiple bumps. The ride doesnt feel "calm". I rode a 17 touring Civic and it doesnt feel bump over the same stretch of road.

I am thinking of installing Mann springs in the future. That might help?

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi all,

Ive been reading on the forum and it seems that our Forester has a rather bumpy ride. I have a 18 XT touring with 20mm RSB upgrade and stock everything else. I notice that the car feels unsteady especially on roads with multiple bumps. The ride doesnt feel "calm". I rode a 17 touring Civic and it doesnt feel bump over the same stretch of road.

I am thinking of installing Mann springs in the future. That might help?

Thanks
Hi Supercow

Indeed the case and had tested many setups and can recommend the following:

- STI pink springs designed specifically for at least JDM forester fxt
- Cusco Touring adjustable damper with optional in cabin adjustment
- Bilstein B6 which is designed by Bilstein specifically for forester

However, it will never perform like a sedan but a much better tuned SUV.

Cheers,

Richard

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had a 2010 WRX before I bought my 2015 FXT. My Forester is straight up sloppy and slow compared to my EJ25 powered Rex.

Having way more fun in this FXT though, will be lifting it 2 inches soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Hi Supercow

Cheers,

Richard
Nice setup, how much does all of that run?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the information. Im just trying to find a way to calm the car down a because it seems to be upset easily with road imperfections.

I am looking into reducing tire pressures for now to see if that helps.

I do like how the car performs power wise.

I know I shouldntve compared to the Civic lol. Bad move.

Richard, the bilstein is ~1k without shipping from japamparts and the cusco $600. Im mot sure if im willing to shell out that much :(

How is the pink vs mannon stock struts? Any one that has experienced with both?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Supercow

Cheers,

Richard
Nice setup, how much does all of that run?
Hi Nasarog,

Pink springs are most economical at about usd500, cusco touring adjustable dampers are about usd900 while Bilstein is about usd1.2k ... ballpark nos.

Details are at www.japanparts.com.

Btw, fellow forester owner has pink springs and fitted Bilstein B6 ... he and I agreed that it is fine but notable more harsh than pink springs alone albiet stiffer for better roading holding .. not for me though and I just kept to the pink springs together with front cusco strut and arb, rear beatrush strut and cusco arb as well as sti flexible subframe.

Cheers.

Richard

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks guys for the information. Im just trying to find a way to calm the car down a because it seems to be upset easily with road imperfections.

I am looking into reducing tire pressures for now to see if that helps.

I do like how the car performs power wise.

I know I shouldntve compared to the Civic lol. Bad move.

Richard, the bilstein is ~1k without shipping from japamparts and the cusco $600. Im mot sure if im willing to shell out that much 😞

How is the pink vs mannon stock struts? Any one that has experienced with both?
Hi Supercow,

We do not have mannon presumably dampers here in singapore ...

I do believe the forester xt is better served with pink springs since researched and designed by STI .. same for reputed Bilstein B6. Please note pink spring reduces the height a little while the B6 raises a little.

I tried a forester xt with RSR springs and it was unnecessary harsh compared to sti pink springs.

However, those arb are mandatory and hence I added the sti flexible subframe rod to ease up at bit to avoid harshness that I dun care for.

Btw, we do not have the 2.5NA forester here but 2.0NA that I had test drove several ... its ride is much more compliant since suspension setup is different with 17" rims and added rubber ... they do not even have subframe rod.

Our fxt is purposely stiffened up to handle the added power while retaining terrain handling but not ideally done imho and hence we do need to fix our jittery and floaty ride with these aftermkt stuff for my case if 101% road performance ... much much betta now.

Cheers.

Richard

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Hi Nasarog,

Pink springs are most economical at about usd500, cusco touring adjustable dampers are about usd900 while Bilstein is about usd1.2k ... ballpark nos.

Btw, fellow forester owner has pink springs and fitted Bilstein B6 ... he and I agreed that it is fine but notable more harsh than pink springs alone albiet stiffer for better roading holding .. not for me though and I just kept to the pink springs together with front cusco strut and arb, rear beatrush strut and cusco arb as well as sti flexible subframe.

Cheers.

Richard
Thanks, I wish I knew someone who had a similar setup close to me, so I could check it out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Nasarog,

Cheers.

Richard
Thanks, I wish I knew someone who had a similar setup close to me, so I could check it out.
Hi Nasarog, what is you setup ? If stock, I would recommend the pink spring first to take care of the bumby and floaty ride and swap in cusco or wrx rear arb ... latter if you are concern with harshness since thinner and hollow.

Cheers.

Richard

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Supercow,
Did the ride become worse after sway bar upgrade? Does it have adjustable sway bar links?

If too much (or any) preload is placed on the sway bar (e.g. stock or non adjustable sway bar links), it can make the ride terrible. Can be noticeable when going over speed humps or entering/exiting driveways etc. I had this issue, which was solved by removing preload.

If it’s harshness over square bumps, most likely the valving in the shocks, rather than springs. Ideally both springs and shocks (valving), should be matched. I had poor valving selection in a expensive aftermarket coilover that drove me nuts.

See if MCA coilovers are available in your area, they have been tested and designed for several Forester models (amongst many others). Or Mann Engineering coilovers, they have also been designed with the Forester in mind. Also checkout Whiteline suspension products (or any other manufacturer that makes the same stuff).

I have an SH model Forester, absolutely hated the ride. The car handled like a pontoon, and would wander or pull left (even after many alignments). [now realise that steering could be linked to ECU setup, since it has electronic steering assist, and centre can be adjusted via ODB2].

I first bought a prominent name brand, but which is just mass produced rubbish. Had to throw them away and buy MCA Coilovers (you can request type of valving and spring rate, or ask for their advice, if you buy direct. Or maybe ask your retailer to special order I guess).

Hope any of this helps,
Dogs

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Dogs,

Heard and read alot about MCA coilover from MRT Performance Australia who offers great info on subarus, including foresters there.

Does/can MCA coilover offer more compliant ride than spring/damper setup?

Had considered them but regardless what Salesmen had promised me, my previous rides with coilovers turns out more harsh that I care for and really for those into roadholding as key priority.

Yes, I had tried forester fxt with cusco zero and peddlars coilovers ... they are far from being compliant even at softest settings especially the peddlars. I also try to avoid adjustable type else no end to trying to get the elusive "perfect" ride instead of enjoying it and the pink springs work fine for me with arbs/struts etc. mods.

Cheers.

Richard

PS: http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46693&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am looking into reducing tire pressures for now to see if that helps....
Before spending big on new springs/shocks, why not try a 17" wheel/tyre combo... The taller sidewall will improve comfort and may provide what you're looking for. Your heavier rear sway bar is also firming up the back end, so a return to the stock bar may also be an option.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi eb#,

Think changing rims/tyres will be more expensive than just springs and you will lose the preferred or even needed roadholding especially for the xt that can be spirited driving and hence with stiffer suspension setup than the fna 2.0 available in Singapore. It will be even more floaty which can also be quite uncomfortable.

The fna 2.0 is with 17" 215/60 and while not hard and jarring/jittery like the xt and it is still floaty with softer supension setup and without subframe bar unlike the xt.

Pink springs alone is still not ideal but gets you nearer ... added thicker but hollow wrx rear arb help further before going to solid cusco rear if you prefers but yes, it is harder. I know since I removed the cusco and replaced it with the wrx one.

Alternatively go the very expensive way of forester ts setup .. sti springs/dampers, rear dual sti flexible stiffeners, front single sti stiftener, sti flexible subframe rod and front sti strut which should be usd4 on parts alone ... but it will still never ride like a sedan or a glc250 with also similar size and 350nm/220+bhp.

Cheers.

Richard

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Supercow,

We do not have mannon presumably dampers here in singapore ...

I do believe the forester xt is better served with pink springs since researched and designed by STI .. same for reputed Bilstein B6. Please note pink spring reduces the height a little while the B6 raises a little.

I tried a forester xt with RSR springs and it was unnecessary harsh compared to sti pink springs.

However, those arb are mandatory and hence I added the sti flexible subframe rod to ease up at bit to avoid harshness that I dun care for.

Btw, we do not have the 2.5NA forester here but 2.0NA that I had test drove several ... its ride is much more compliant since suspension setup is different with 17" rims and added rubber ... they do not even have subframe rod.

Our fxt is purposely stiffened up to handle the added power while retaining terrain handling but not ideally done imho and hence we do need to fix our jittery and floaty ride with these aftermkt stuff for my case if 101% road performance ... much much betta now.

Cheers.

Richard
Hi Richard,

Thank you for your input. I am looking into getting new tires soon since tires play a major role in ride handling. I have stock Bridgestone Dueller and they have bysmall review/experience. At the same time, I am not changing springs yet since the car is relatively new and is still under warranty.

I have heard good reviews for the pink and mann (N/A only market).

One thing I notice about the ride is that the car tends to be unsettled easily. If there are bumps or uneven road surface, the car will tend to bounce or jostle and it feels uncomfortable. Also, I corner with a 2017 2.5i OUtback, 2017 base 2.5i Forester and 2018 CR-V, both do not have this characteristic. To me, surprisingly, the 2.5i is more composed than the XT, plushed also but cornerning is very meh.

I am suspecting that the tire width and stickiness are not sufficient to handle the stiffer XT suspension.

Down the road, I would love to get either pink or Mann with KYB or stock struts. Getting Bilstein/cusco is just too expensive.

BTW, what is arb?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Richard,

Thank you for your input. I am looking into getting new tires soon since tires play a major role in ride handling. I have stock Bridgestone Dueller and they have bysmall review/experience. At the same time, I am not changing springs yet since the car is relatively new and is still under warranty.

I have heard good reviews for the pink and mann (N/A only market).

One thing I notice about the ride is that the car tends to be unsettled easily. If there are bumps or uneven road surface, the car will tend to bounce or jostle and it feels uncomfortable. Also, I corner with a 2017 2.5i OUtback, 2017 base 2.5i Forester and 2018 CR-V, both do not have this characteristic. To me, surprisingly, the 2.5i is more composed than the XT, plushed also but cornerning is very meh.

I am suspecting that the tire width and stickiness are not sufficient to handle the stiffer XT suspension.

Down the road, I would love to get either pink or Mann with KYB or stock struts. Getting Bilstein/cusco is just too expensive.

BTW, what is arb?
Hi Supercow,

Most welcomed and my apology .. ARB = anti roll bars which stock cars has but common mod for large/stiffener ones due to the body roll with especially forester xt aka fxt owners.

Your positive experience with 2.5L forester is same as my experience with 2.0L version which we have in Singapore (no 2.5L) and it boils down to the suspension setup of the forester xt. Unlike outback and CRV or many other SUVs meant for road with no or little terrain capability, foresters are designed with terrain handling as well as road performance which is not easy and compromises are made, more so in the fxt since it had to been stiffened up to handle the glorious 350Nm 240+bhp else things can get out of control easily.

Sorry but no quick or inexpensive fix like just changing tyres on this ride comfort topic for the fxt but a lot of trials and errors with expenses as well as owners' expectation and sensitivity ... the wife of my forester friend made him sell off his fxt as she was car sicked too often which is already not an uncommon read. I would best describe stock fxt as a vehicle makes you feel like you are at 100kmhr when travelling at 70/80km/hr ... it is not a compliment and hence I asked and test drove many foresters with different suspension setups which fortunately owners here are often glad to help.

For me and my wife, pink springs with mentioned front/rear struts/arb, sti flexible system frame etc. works out fine ... great handling, no more floaty and jittery ride while still a bit higher frequency of of sedated bumps just like the new Merc E200 diesel taxi I boarded few days ago except the bumps of the Merc were less sedate.

Indeed the dueller sucks big time especially down concrete ramps of tight multi-storey carparks we have here ... not safe again for road performance of the spirited kind but should be ok for terrain and less sedate driving but watch the wet roads !

Cheers,

Richard

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
@supercow2610, sorry if you've answered this already but what type of roads are you driving? I haven't ever felt sick or unsettled in my '17 XT and feel it drives mush better at all speeds than the '17 2.5i's I have test driven. I have a 40 mile commute that consists of -
*10 miles of 35-45mph sweeping country roads (with some pot holes)
*25 miles of 70mph smooth highway (I average 90mph the whole way)
*5 miles of gnarly city streets with major pot holes and stop n go traffic.
*I also have lots of gravel roads through the woods near my house, and it handles like a dream there too.

My car has never felt jittery or unsettled from the day it was new to it's current state of tune. Clearly your experience is different, so I'm just wondering where you are driving. When my XT was stock it felt too "squishy" around slow corners and "leany" on the highway, like any crossover, but a bigger rear sway bar (Subaru 19mm) fixed all that without negatively affecting any other aspect of the ride.

Several posts have talked about changing out springs. That can work wonders if you get decent parts, but make sure you add in the cost of a mechanic. If you can remove the struts and install the springs yourself then that's great and the springs are a great bang for the buck. But if you need a shop to do it (most do) add another $500-600 to your price.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
10 Participants
richard_crl032
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing