Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2018 XT - Oil drain plug too tight, I might've rounded the head - opinions?

('14-'18) 
9K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  jocko 
#1 ·
I posted a few months back about changing oil myself on my 2018 XT and 2012 3.6R. I did it on 3.6R relatively easy, so now it is time for the 2018XT!
So I crawled under the car without jacking it up. I don't want to jack up my car for safety reason, and also I don't have the appropriate jack or ramp. First thing I notice is the XT clearance is not as much as my 3.6, but no problem since I can access the drain plug. So I used 6-point 14mm socket with a ratchet and a short extension. I tried to ensure that the socket fit snugly on the head, but the plug won't budge. And also I think my ratchet is kind of crappy, so it slipped three times.

After that I stopped because this is not a good sign and from the look of it, the plug hex head had been rounded off a little bit. I ordered an extra long 6-point wrench (Tekton), I preferred non flex as I'm afraid the flex-head will increase the chance of the wrench slipping of the plug, but that's all I can find for now. One problem with not having enough clearance under the car is that I cannot use my other hand to keep the wrench stay on the plug.
I took a picture of the plug (attached), and it shows that some damage is done, but it is not very bad and I think I still have chance to pull this off. I want to ask you guys' opinion on this. based on the way the plug look in the picture, should I try it again with my 6-point wrench? Or should I just take it to a garage/dealership? Thanks a lot!

Automotive lighting Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Headlamp
Automotive lighting Light Headlamp Helmet Vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Buy a new drain bolt then try it again. It's not rounded too much. If you keep the 6 point firmly held all the way on, the rounded bolt will come out easy. Piece of cake.

Even if you fail again, it will come out with a bolt extractor like this. Any shop will be able to remove it easy.

#7 ·
Thanks for the input. When you said "Buy a new drain bolt then try it again.", did you mean "a new drain bolt wrench"? My plan is to try this long 6-point wrench I bought tomorrow. If I'm able to somehow break the plug loose, I will tighten it back but not too tight, and order a new plug before changing the oil.

About the IRWIN tool, I saw this guy on YouTube used it, and it worked really well for him. In my case, the limitation is that I will be on my back under the car that is not jacked up. So I'm not sure I will be able to use the tool if I have to hammer it to grip the bolt. Thanks again!

#5 ·
When you change your oil, put some PBBlaster around the threads before you tighten it. Should solve any future problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not true. The threads are already or will be covered in oil. The problem here and for most is the inability to hold the 6 point socket and extension straight and square on the head of the bolt. If the 6 point was held on squarely this would have never happened.

#12 ·
I have a 2018 2.5i non-turbo and both the stock 14mm head and replacement 17mm head bolts have 16mm threads, so the 17mm is a perfect replacement. However, Subaru's fitment chart does not show the turbo engine so better check with your Subaru parts deparment if you have a XT:

2018 Subaru Forester2.5i, 2.5i Limited, 2.5i Premium, 2.5i Touring

#13 ·
Keep everything simple. You have wrench access problems, and will have going forward after this first change. So get the Fumoto oil drain valve, or its competitor, and take it to an oil change place. Just have that shop do your oil change and screw in your Fumoto type oil drain valve at no extra charge, while giving you your current plug back. A car lifetime installation.

I posted a few months back about changing oil myself ...
So I crawled under the car without jacking it up. I don't want to jack up my car ...
Or should I just take it to a garage/dealership? Thanks a lot!
Perhaps consider replacing your plug with with Fumoto Oil Drain Valve.
... turn the valve and let it drain out.
When done draining, flip the valve back ...
No muss - no fuss. You won't have to crawl under the car and may not even need to jack it up.

I've used Fumoto on 3 cars and they work; the competitor valve looks just as good.

#15 ·
Sk Tools USA makes Turbo sockets. They’re special design cuts into The damaged fastener and allows easy removal. I have a few in different metric sizes. They work great.

Perfect for rusted over bolts too. I use Molykote brand penetrating oil as well

A breaker bar makes quick work of the removal. Great tools to have in the arsenal. My 2015 2.5i Limited came with a 17mm head drain plug. It was stock because it was painted black.

New plugs are un-coated. High heat paint on the drain plug will keep rust at bay.

#16 ·
Thank you all for the inputs. Sounds like many people like Fumoto valve, so I will give it a try. Is Amazon the best place to buy a Fumoto valve? I'm not too concern about the price, as long as reasonable, but I am more concern about getting wrong one and have to send it back etc.

But first I need to get the current drain plug off. Hopefully I don't screw up the bolt even more.

#17 ·
Update: I received the Tekton 6-point wrench from Amazon, and luckily I was able to break the drain plug loose. I also raised the car using a couple 2-inch pavement tiles. I'm not a strong guy, but I'm pretty sure the shop who did my last oil change over-tightened the plug.
After I broke it loose, I re-tightened it reasonably firm since my Fumoto valve is not going to be here until tomorrow. Hopefully the Fumoto valve works well. If it does, I will get another one for my 3.6R.

Thank you all for the inputs!

#19 ·
Gonna check out the Fumoto valve. I also had a 14mm head stuck on there. After I rounded it beyond belief trying to get it off my local Subaru shop (not the dealer) used a pipe wrench to get it off. Hadn't seen that before. In bad situations he said he uses a cold chisel to knock it loose coming at it from an angle to turn it a bit.

#20 ·
One thing you can do to avoid this kind of damage to the bolt-head is to modify your socket before you begin...

17mm or 14mm, it doesn't matter which. All sockets have a tapered (or chamfered) 'lead-in) to help them slip easily onto nuts. Grind the socket down so the hex goes all the way to the end, you get more surface area to hold the nut or bolt.

Another thing to try in confined spaces is to put something under the spanner or the socket wrench to hold it up onto the bolt. Like a bottle jack, screwed up with something flat on top of it to bear evenly on the spanner or socket with enough pressure to hold it there as you get the first quarter turn or so.

#21 ·
Make sure you get under that plug next time with both hands as you are going to need to push the socket flush with a lot more force now that you rounded the sides a little. As the picture shows that plug might have been locked in place with a little blue locktite maybe. In any case good luck to you...but get under it next time!!

#22 ·
Based on online posts and on my mechanic’s experience, this is fairly common on Subaru. Changed lots of oil in my 68 yr and I was totally flummoxed at my first oil change of my 2017. Mechanic was able to remove the drain plug and I installed a Fumoto drain. Now at 36K the Fumoto has worked great. I make sure the plastic “skid plate” cover is securely closed... don’t want to give even the slightest chance for a stick or something to flip the lever. Because the Fumoto locks that is highly unlikely, but don’t temp fate.

#23 ·
A good quality six point socket should work. Subaru has a tsb in their new drain plug. They must be aware of the problem. I’m considering a Fumoto valve. I like the idea of using a tube to drain the oil right into an empty jug.

I have not read about any horror stories concerning the Fumoto coming loose, so it’s probably safe.

#24 ·
A good quality six point socket should work. Subaru has a tsb in their new drain plug. They must be aware of the problem. I’m considering a Fumoto valve. I like the idea of using a tube to drain the oil right into an empty jug.

I have not read about any horror stories concerning the Fumoto coming loose, so it’s probably safe.
Lots of mentions of a TSB, but I have yet to see one. There was a TSB for other drain plugs (not oil) addressing the length of the threaded section, but nothing I've seen covers the oil plug.

Can anyone provide this TSB?

#26 · (Edited)
First get yourself some room under the car. Use a set of ramps and simply drive up on them ...these are great to have because you don't need to worry about the proper jacking and support of your unibody Foz. Score a decent socket wrench; please don't work on your car with crappy tools ...this is what happens. Using a good socket, find or buy a piece of pipe big enough to fit over the end of the socket wrench handle that's at least 2-feet long ...the longer the better providing you have room to swing it a bit. Basically you're trying to increase your leverage and generate greater turning torque. Apply a slow even pull or push and make sure the socket doesn't slip off the plug. You might have better luck breaking the plug loose using a straight box end wrench; the box end will encircle the bolt but be more inline with the the bolt head as opposed to the offset created by the socket on the socket wrench. Once you break it loose then you can use the socket wrench to remove it. If you go the box end wrench, make sure the pipe fits over the other end of the box wrench.

You will persevere. Just be patient and work at it. You might try adding a little heat to the oil pan around the drain bolt ...you can use a small butane torch or you can use a heat gun or even a hair dryer ...just be careful.

Once the drain bolt is free throw it away.

What you want to score is what REMCOE ...I believe he's poster #8 or #9 ...but he talks about the Fumoto drain valve ...even has a link to it. I have one of these on my '11 Foz and they are FANTASTIC. I liked it so much I bought one for each of my other vehicles; a '12 Accord and a '98 GMC pickup. For the Foz? The Fumoto valve makes doing an oil change so ridiculously easy you'll be all giggles and laughs; the only tool you'll need is the oil filter wrench. You could change your oil in tux ...really ...it's that easy and that neat. The Fumoto drain plug should be the first performance mod any Subie owner makes to their ride. I've had mine on all my vehicles for about 6 years now with ZERO problems ....just lots easier and neater oil changes on my rides.

And then you'll never have to worry about some neanderthal torqueing that drain bolt like it was holding down the Queen Mary.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.