Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am relatively new to my Forester, I bought it in June. The RSB seems like an upgrade that fits what I want with the car, clean up the handling a bit, flatten things out. However, I'm new to suspension changes in a car, and don't want to screw up the nice ride comfort that I hve here.

FWIW, I am coming from a 2016 STi that after 3 years I found too harsh and was looking for something sporty, bigger but comfortable which is why I have the XT.:grin2:

Either or, I've seen a number of threads on the Subaru RSB, some people put in 19, some 20. From what I understand the 19 was available first, then the 20. Which should I put in? will I notice a difference between the 2? will these significantly affect ride quality for the worse?

I'm sure some people may say, yeah, it might affect things, but it isn't going to turn it into an STi, in handling or ride comfort... I know that... I'm just wary of making changes that can have negative consequences.

I'm picturing-
1) I get the 20mm- I find it too harsh, should have stayed stock:frown2:
2) I get the 19mm- I find it too harsh, should have stayed stock:frown2:
3) I get the 19mm - I don't notice much of a diff, I should have gotten the 20mm:frown2:
4) I get the 19mm - I find it a nice change.:thumbsup:
5) I get the 20mm - I find it a nice change.:thumbsup:

I'm thinking I'm going to be somewhere in option 4 or 5, however, am scared of 1,2,3 Anyone have any thoughts?

thanks

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
I am going through the same exercise, although I don't have the XT. From what I have read, there are people on both sides of the fence as well as one that wish they chose one over the other. My understanding is that the sway bar should not affect ride quality much other than on uneven or off road situations in this case apparently 19 is better than 20 as it provides a little more flex. Can you tell a difference between 19 or 20 likely not only the change from stock 16 to 19 or 20 should be noticeable. You could buy an adjustable that gives you 3 setting choices possibly less buyers remorse although you will likely pay more for the option.

Although the 19 costs slightly more where I am, I think that is likely what I will go with after all, like you say, it will never be a sti, it has a higher center of gravity so unless you plan on lowering it the difference between the 2 likely isn't going to be that great other than on uneven roads (for this car).I will be interested in hearing from people that actually know what they are talking about on the subject. I notice in many threads, a user named Fate seems to be very knowledgeable, you might want to look at his comments.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
284 Posts
I have a 17 xt... put the 20mm (sti one) on mine... I quite like it. Not as good at rock crawling now but I’m mostly on fire roads when not on pavement so it’s not a real big neg for me.

My xt now is almost nearly natural when moving through a corner in a spirited fashion (just a bit of understeer) and has increased lift off over steer over stock in the same situation (270 degree freeway onramps and CA high desert where my testing grounds).

A few weeks after the rsb I installed a steering damper lockout and I was stoked. My xt handled MUCH more sharply after these two things... I recommend both / the combo.

Still... It will have you wanting a wider tire for sure... I went to 245s after the rsb and lock out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 19mm RSB and I love it. I preface it with my 18 Forester is my daily driver and I strictly stick to the paved roads. The improvements were very subtle, being a bit more sensitive over potholes. Handling was definitely improved. I figured 19mm was a good balance for me, as 20mm didn't make sense to me. From your list, I would say I give my review #4.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
34 Posts
I installed the 20mm Sti RSB and the Perrin steering dampener lockdown on my 2017 FXT. Major improvement in handling and overall feeling of stability at highway speeds. I highly recommend doing both. I had been faulting the OEM tires when actually almost all of the body roll and lane drift has been eliminated by these two inexpensive mods (less than $200 for both). Can't wait to see what better tires do to the handling.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
34 Posts
The Perrin install was not difficult if you have the right equipment. I initially tried to install it from above and could not do it. Then I put the car up on ramps and from underneath the u-joint is easily reached. No need to remove the wheel. I would also recommend a 3/8" drive 5mm allen socket. The Perrin supplied allen wrench will not allow you to fully tighten the lockdown bolt. Good luck.

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring
87 Posts
I found the body lean with the stock sway bar at highway speeds to be excessive if not downright frightening, especially when performing an evasive maneuver.
The 20mm STI RSB and the Perrin steering dampener lockout completely cured the lean without any resultant decrease in ride quality.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS 4-AT
98 Posts
Get the 20mm...19 was more expensive for me. I'm installing this weekend.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good luck. hopefully you're happy when its done.

Price isn't a driving factor for me, its less than $10USD different in price.

I asked the question, but still haven't pulled the trigger. Other priorities got the better of me and the project got put off.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i Prem CVT
17 Posts
Hated the body roll when I got my 2016 2.5. Decided on the 20mm bar and have been totally happy. Either bar will be a significant improvement over stock. If some of my driving was off road, I might have opted for the 19.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Blk Edition Lineartronic CVT with X-Mode
167 Posts
I bought my Forester at the end of September and one of the first things I disliked about it was the body roll. Yesterday, I received and installed the @Subaruonlineparts.com 20mm RSB kit and took the Foz out last night and all I can say is its as good as everyone says it is. It really makes a difference at maintaining power/speed thru a turn. It felt slightly firmer on a straightaway but nothing that my wife would notice. Looking forward to seeing the effect it has on crosswinds on a bridge that I cross almost daily. I followed this video step-by-step: https://youtu.be/HEkYQFiPESA

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS 4-AT
98 Posts
Installed... All SH and SJ forester owners should perform this mod. Get rid of that stock toothpick RSB. Vehicle feels planted now, hardly any of that wobbly feel.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
17 Posts
Go with the 20mm. I had similar concerns but went with the 20 and could not be happier. I don't really notice any ride difference other than better cornering and improved steering feel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are aftermarket endlinks needed? Sorry not a smarty pants when talking suspension. If theyre not, then when would be a time you would need them?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts