Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT CVT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I posted here the first time about 1 month ago before buying my 2018 XT. I did bought it, and so far I've driven it 1300 miles the Bay-Area-during-rush-hour freeway miles. So I thought I post some updates and opinions I have so far.

Engine feels quick and responsive. Handling too.
The Touring fancy interior. The Saddle Brown looks so pretty.
Eye-Sight works, but I think a bit conservative (which I understand for safety reasons, and I drive a bit aggressive time to time)
Visibility is excellent
Keyless entry and operation
Rear camera and collision detection
Memory car seat
Closing the power tailgate
Turning head-lights
Auto-dimmed mirror
The engine and transmission sound. It could be a bit noisy after a while, but to me it sounds pretty enjoyable.

Don't Likes:
Opening power tailgate. Very slow
Premium fuel and maybe the MPG (I got 25 so far, which is pretty good actually considering where I drive the car)
Keyless operation. I still need to figure out how to shut off the engine without shutting of my accessories
Side collision/drifting warning. Keeps beeping if I don't use my turn signal when changing lane..., I guess that's the point.
Blind-spot indicator, kinda confuses me time to time. Now I rely on it, if it is not on I change lane.., I'm afraid I do the same in my other two cars that don't have this feature
The GPS feels clunky and out-dated.
Black exterior color. I can see the dust 1 week after I washed it, and I parked in my garage and in parking structure at work.
Different driving mode (S#/S/I). Maybe later on once I can see the difference in MPG, I would appreciate it more. If only 1 or 2 miles different, just give me S# all the time.

So far the negatives are pretty minor. Overall impression is good and we are happy with the car.
I still cannot justify the 8k extra cost over the Premium XT that was also available at that time.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,983 Posts
S# is the least efficient at highway speeds. Your MPG will suffer for it.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
25 Posts
I use S# almost all of the time and have not noticed lower mileage. Maybe even better if I am on a lot of hills or mountains because of the higher revs.

And I have always run regular gas with no problems on S#.

Do you have any specifics as to the reduction in mileage? I would agree that for Subaru under their test conditions I is no doubt better but not for me.

Driving conditions make a large difference in mileage. Headwind at high velocity or over 70 mph are very noticeable.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT CVT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not notice the difference yet, but then again I have not driven a full tank with one mode versus the other. Comparing them day to day a bit challenging as my daily driving can vary +/- 15 minutes.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
37 Posts
Just open it manually like many of us do. I only use the auto opening when my hands are full.
The LED headlights and C-Lights tho!

(I agree, not worth it, but would have been great optional equipment on the premium.)

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,983 Posts
I use S# almost all of the time and have not noticed lower mileage. Maybe even better if I am on a lot of hills or mountains because of the higher revs.

And I have always run regular gas with no problems on S#.

Do you have any specifics as to the reduction in mileage? I would agree that for Subaru under their test conditions I is no doubt better but not for me.

Driving conditions make a large difference in mileage. Headwind at high velocity or over 70 mph are very noticeable.
Maybe I have a heavy foot.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,531 Posts
I drive solely in S#

I find no difference at 100-110 km

anything over that in S#...I can notice a difference

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
145 Posts
Sounds like you like the car. Sorry the Touring doesn't feel worth it over the premium. We all pay our money and take our chances as to whether we made the right decision. The Premium is definitely a great bang for your buck option. The Touring same bang, more bucks, but a lot of nice things. The flip side of all of that is that you will get some return when you sell the Touring over the premium so it won't have cost you the full difference in purchase price.

I've had my XT touring for 4 months now. I love the Eyesight/safety features the most of all the Touring features. The cross traffic alert is great when you have limited visibility backing up and I like the lane keeping and adaptive cruise control.

The disappointments I found are the GPS, power tailgate, leather interior.

I don't think I'd make a different decision, although I might have considered checking out a new 19 Sport, but without the turbo, I'm not sure it would have been a good move for me.

I'm assuming you guys have a lot of highway driving getting your MPGs around 25. I've only had 1 tank where I broke out of the high teens and that was almost all highway driving.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,372 Posts
I can get 31 mpg (calculated) on 2 lane suburban roads when there is little traffic...a bit more on the highway. There is no way the S# will approach that as it runs at a higher rpm when accelerating and even at steady speeds.

I am curious enough to find out.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
145 Posts
gulp. I get 18ish, in traffic mostly a 12 mile commute, sometimes hitting 70, but sometimes crawling along. I know I have a lead foot, but I do wonder if something wrong, if everyone else gets mid-high 20s and 30.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT CVT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you like the car. Sorry the Touring doesn't feel worth it over the premium. We all pay our money and take our chances as to whether we made the right decision. The Premium is definitely a great bang for your buck option. The Touring same bang, more bucks, but a lot of nice things. The flip side of all of that is that you will get some return when you sell the Touring over the premium so it won't have cost you the full difference in purchase price.

I've had my XT touring for 4 months now. I love the Eyesight/safety features the most of all the Touring features. The cross traffic alert is great when you have limited visibility backing up and I like the lane keeping and adaptive cruise control.

The disappointments I found are the GPS, power tailgate, leather interior.

I don't think I'd make a different decision, although I might have considered checking out a new 19 Sport, but without the turbo, I'm not sure it would have been a good move for me.

I'm assuming you guys have a lot of highway driving getting your MPGs around 25. I've only had 1 tank where I broke out of the high teens and that was almost all highway driving.
Yupe, you get what you pay. I don't regret the Touring, but the Premium value was exceptional (turbo engine with AWD at 29k OTD). Most like the Premium pricing was unusual anyways since they just try to get rid of their inventories.

I drive on freeway, but Bay Area freeway, so I wouldn't call it freeway/highway driving. If the road open, I could get a bit more than 28MPG on my 32-mile way to home (about 65-70MPH). My 2003 Accord 2.4VTEC gets about 28-30 MPG average, about 32 MPG if the road wide open. So this XT is not too bad in comparison.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,983 Posts
gulp. I get 18ish, in traffic mostly a 12 mile commute, sometimes hitting 70, but sometimes crawling along. I know I have a lead foot, but I do wonder if something wrong, if everyone else gets mid-high 20s and 30.
Sounds like you're in my boat. I drive in S mode once the engine warms up. I do a lot of mixed driving. My average during the warmer months is 23.4-24 mpg per tank. During the cold months, it dips to 21-21.9 mpg.

I've owned the car for 1.5 year so far. I'll see if I do better this winter.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,372 Posts
I make it a point not to run more than a couple pounds Turbo. I have the luxuryof doing that though as I am retired. Getting on the turbo hard even once in a 10 mile trip drops the gas mileage 5, 6, or 7 mpg.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring
254 Posts
Just spent some serious seat time (for the first time) in my wife's 2018XT Touring driving 850 miles over the weekend. Here are my impressions:

1. My butt hurts - I wish Subaru had thrown in just a little more padding - now I know why there are "seat threads" on this forum. Short trips no issue.
2. Drove interstates and two lane highways through the mountains - Avg. 28.8 mpg (stayed in S mode the entire trip) driving 80 mph on the interstate.
3. Love - absolutely love the turbo. No longer feared trying to get around tractor trailers going up inclines that were jamming up the interstate (if you've ever been on I-81 through VA you know what I'm talking about).
4. Headlights - frickin' awesome. Could not believe how bright they were at night. I feel sorry for the folks coming from the opposite direction staring at my headlights but then again it's not my problem. Automatic dimming is an awesome feature as well.
5. No regrets trading my wife's 8 month old 2018 Premium for the 2018XT Touring once Subaru announced they were discontinuing the turbo.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
8 Posts
@subiedrvr I also live in the Bay Area (Peninsula/SF), and am getting 18 MPG avg on intelligent mode. Granted, I drive LOTS of hills and am usually not on the freeway during my work commute. I've tried S/S# for a few days exclusively and man does that avg MPG goes down fast! I typically calculate at the pump and don't rely on the car's numbers too. I'll drive in S/S# when I'm feeling a little giggity or want to pass on the freeway but have been using i-mode almost exclusively to keep some of that green in the wallet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Subiedrvr--once stopped, foot on brake, turn off car while in gear (Reverse) then move shifter into Park. This allows you to leave your radio etc. on while engine off.

Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts