Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

The windshield of my new Subaru Forester 2018 (just 3 weeks old) hit a rock this morning. I havent purchased the extended warranty. Does this fall under Subaru warranty or car insurance? The car is equipped with the Eye Sight feature.

What are my options here? Replacement or Repair? Is this a known issue? Does Subaru take care of it?

·
Premium Member
2014 Touring with Eyesigh CVT
615 Posts
No, it is not part of a standard Subaru warranty since it just bad luck like a dent in your door in a parking lot. It can be part of your comprehension car insurance coverage, if you live in an area where insurance covers windshield or state mandated coverage safety issue then it will be covered. If your vehicle has Eyesight then OEM certified Eyesight windshield with Eyesight calibration is needed. Yes the calibration is also covered by the insurance company.

If it wasn't for Bad Luck, I would have No Luck at all.

Welcome to the forum.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
208 Posts
Been there, done that. Insurance often covers windshields with no deductible, including EyeSight recalibration. @Yoda_One nails it.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek, 2020 Forester Touring
9 Posts
Windshield cracked less than 2 months old

Just had a small rock hit on highway drive going about 70mph. No cars or trucks were in front of me when it occurred.

Small crack went from 6 inches to now 10 inches within a couple of hours.

Unfortunately I have a $500 deductible and replacement is over that.

Called dealership and they said that there's a 1-2 week wait; Insurance prefers I go with authorized windshield company like Safelite and rep said that OEM is not necessary and that OEE has same standard of safety, specificity, and something else but can't remember.

What is the consensus of OEE versus OEM?

I am gg to contact insurance and pay for windshield coverage after reading that this may not be an isolated case.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
I have a 2015 2.5i and have a Safelite replacement with no issues for my Eyesight system. They even calibrated it for free after the installation. I too had to pay out of pocket, but the total job was less than my $500 deductible.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
So you are sure that Safelite has Eyesight Calibration machine to adjust the cameras?????? There is a difference between Eyesight automatic monitoring system and ACC which works when manually activated that works with the System.
I have SF and I used Safelite to install OEM Eyesight Certified glass and it was Calibrated by Subaru trained technician at the Subaru Service Center. My neighbor had to have the same setup last month since Safelite did not have a Certifed Eyesight glass or the Calibration equipment.

But it your vehicle and you will do what you like but for me and my family, I follow the instructions set by the Subaru Engineer Service Guidelines.

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
401 Posts
Not sure about other states, but here in Florida, insurance companies have to replace the windshield at no cost to the consumer. Good luck!

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT CVT
7 Posts
My 3 week old 2018 XT windshield just broke this afternoon driving down the road with no cars nearby. No reason at all. A friend and I were returning from lunch and bang! A huge crack straight down from the drivers side and cutting over to the middle of vision. It was 78 degrees outside and no reason whatsoever for this to happen. Not happy.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,604 Posts
I have a 17 xt and am on my 4th.

They are defective and it has become a massive issue they can’t keep up with

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT CVT
7 Posts
Yes, my wife knows insurance and says it is covered here in Maine too.

That's not the point for me, because I don't believe anything hit the glass. I looked carefully last night and there was just a crack through from up high on the drivers side and no impact mark. Today at the dealer it has apparently splintered further and I was told within 5 seconds in a completely tactless manner that it would not be covered under warranty. Not happy. Have I mentioned I am not happy? If this is my future it is my last Subaru.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,036 Posts
@safebet - That suck. Subaru dealerships are hit or miss. I'm sorry this is your experience, but as far as the vehicle (glass aside) it is really solid, especially with our crazy New England weather.

I had my front windshield break on me on a previous model (my '12 I believe) but it was a very windy day in Boston and a tree branch fell on it. A massive one. I am glad it was only the windshield and not the roof or hood.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT CVT
7 Posts
@Nasarog Thanks. It's not my first, I've had 2001 and 2009 models too. This would hit the spot as I am a pretty mellow driver these days just looking for a long term relationship. A rocky start doesn't help but I do like the car otherwise, dealer aside.

I hope the OP gets the glass fixed and is happy.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
8 Posts
We have had the same issue with our 2017 Forester Touring that we bought new in May 2017. In Jun 2018, we experienced the third windshield crack by a strike so small we didn't hear anything, just saw the crack as it appeared and spread about 12". I have read up on the failed Subaru windshield redesign of the Forester for 2017, called an ‘Acoustic’ windshield, it was designed to cut down on cabin noise and also to reduce weight, but actually appears to increase the occurrence of cracks versus chips, because the windshields are made using two thin pieces of glass with a laminate in between. The thinner glass on the outside cracks rather than chips requiring replacement rather than repair. Subaru of America (SoA) will not acknowledge there is a problem and therefore, as far as I know, is not working to correct the (non) problem. I have owned 19 cars in over 50 years of driving; I have only replaced one windshield on a 1997 Volvo because of an "excessive number of chip repairs" (not a crack) before buying this Forester. It has been a month since our windshield cracked and it is still not replaced. I tried to replace it on the trip on which it occurred, but an OEM windshield was not available (Subaru of America denies there was/is a shortage of windshields), but I verified the shortage in Richmond, VA with two sources. Once I returned home I took the car to the dealer where I bought it and petitioned to get SoA to replace the windshield but as others have noted on this thread, Subaru claims no responsibility if the crack was caused by “foreign debris” (rock) regardless of the fact that it is their failed design that leads to an abnormal rate of crack damage. An automaker that claims replacing a windshield every 8000 miles (in my case) is normal, is not an automaker to be trusted. In my opinion, Subaru should: 1) acknowledge there is a problem with their windshield design, 2) immediately attack this engineering issue with the objective of a 'counter' redesign of the windshield to normalize its life expectancy, 3) replace any affected windshield under warranty pending redesign, then once a solution is determined, 4) issue a recall of all affected vehicles to replace remaining faulty windshields. Unfortunately, I don’t think we should hold our breath for Subaru to do the right thing and so I am adopting my own policy regarding this problem; that is, I won’t replace a cracked windshield unless and until it becomes a distraction to my vision or EyeSight’s function, extends from one edge to another, or a second crack occurs (which I know will happen). Additionally, beginning with my current replacement, I will replace with AS1 aftermarket non ‘Acoustic’ windshield. I will also continue to pass on my experience with Subaru to friends and family as I did on the trip that the current damage occurred. As a result, my son in VA is reconsidering his plan to purchase a new Crosstrek; a close friend in MA is reconsidering plan to trade in Volvo XC 90 on new Outback; my wife’s childhood friend in NJ is reconsidering trading in 2012 Outback on new one; and fellow church member here in GA is reconsidering buying a new Outback. If you have similar personal experiences that you wish you had prior to buying your Subaru, I encourage you to pass them on … had I known of this problem ahead of time, I would not have bought the Forester, or any other Subaru.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
305 Posts
Well it isn't unheard of for Subaru to have manufacturer defects in the glass. Subaru sent this letter out to outback and legacy owners.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forum...01657-windshield-crack-phenomenon-solved.html

Also there is currently class action lawsuit regarding this issue

https://beranek.agrrmag.com/2015/12/subaru-extends-windshield-warranty/

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/subaru-cracked-windshields-lawsuit.shtml

Just because it likely is a problem on those vehicles (since Subaru already acknowledge for some owners via letter they sent out) doesn't mean the same problem exists on a Forester. However, given past history, it isn't unreasonable to investigate whether the problem is larger than Subaru believes and/or admits.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
@sfhub As you stated like vehicles Legacy/ Outback issue was only for 2015s and early 2016s which were part of the new generation which had the issue. (Spontaneous windshield crack traveling from deicer, slamming the wiper blade or small rock) but the Forester has not shown to have the same issue or Windshield shape. My2015 Legacy was on that extended warranty but I haven't had an issue. There were a lot of complaining for the windshield warranty extension with owner not on the VIN list.
But I did stay at an Holiday inn at one point.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
305 Posts
The Forester has not shown to have the same issue or Windshield shape.
Member hoshie says 4 replacements on a 2017 Forester
https://www.subaruforester.org/vbul...lacement-costs-678106/index2.html#post7071569

Member kubu4 says 2 replacements on a 2017 Forester
https://www.subaruforester.org/vbul...lacement-costs-678106/index2.html#post7071569

Then 2 months later another crack for kubu4
https://www.subaruforester.org/vbul...lacement-costs-678106/index2.html#post7094513

I am not one to jump to conclusions but that does sound excessive to me. It is certainly possible there was something unique to their driving experiences. It is also possible the glass issue is bigger than Subaru discovered. It seems you are completely dismissing the possibility there could be a bigger issue. I am not saying there is, but I am open to both possibilities.

This makes 2 glass manufacturers that seem to have a lot of cracks. In the TSB for outback/legacy it was Carlex. The ones on Forester are from AGC.

If you really think the outback legacy issue was only limited to those model years watch this video

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Let's agree to disagree. It is still at the present time just anecdotal because a small percentage are having an issue doesn't make a design flaw. Yes, as I said before MY2015 is on the list but I haven't seen an issue. MY2014 Touring had a windshield replacement but again just bad luck. That is why I have insurance. Boy, I love to get the ba$tard which caused the damage and have him pay for the damage.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts