Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was rear ended while at a dead end waiting to turn left. The girl slammed into the back of me but managed to try and miss and ended up smacking the back passenger side. (Pics attached) the car is able to be drove but is driving completely different and feels like something is trying to stop the car if that makes sense. It's driving as if something is weighing it down. It's a 2018 Forester with 89k (company car) do you think they will total the car or repair?
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,929 Posts
Likely fix

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT, CVT
95 Posts
If the airbags didn’t deploy then they will likely repair it. I have driven and accident Subaru before. They don’t drive the same.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium
106 Posts
@Nastay4friez
You should have it checked ASAP by a Subaru dealer or another mechanic if you plan to keep driving it while waiting for an insurance decision. If the brakes or a drive train component are dragging, this could be unsafe, and might be causing further damage.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,215 Posts
Well, it may LOOK fixable, but we don't know/can't see any of the underneath damage or possible frame damage. It's not a great picture to see what else may be tweaked under there.

Look at the muffler and exhaust tip - they're mangled and bent ... the rear hatch is crooked (or it's the tail lamp and rear quarter panel) and could mean damage to the unibody and the rear sub-frame assemblies. There is a lot of damage we just cannot see. The axle could be bent which could be causing the drag referenced.

As it's a company car, your company should and/or your insurance should get a replacement vehicle to you while waiting for the adjustor to come and look and getting estimates on repairs.

Yes, it may be fixable and you may be able to drive it in the current state, but you don't know (as mentioned by another) what additional damage could be taking place.

·
Registered
49 Posts
^^^^ this. Our minivan got rear ended. The body panels were replaceable/repairable. But the rear floor and rear subframe were bent and the insurance company wouldn't touch it due to the unknown costs. We actually made-out well on the claim and got a bit more than KBB value for it. It pays to take care of your vehicles. Lol

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport/2018 Crosstrek Prem
316 Posts
Depend on the insurance you have or the other person have. A general rule of thumb is if the repair estimate is higher than 60% of the vehicles value, insurance company will declare loss. Like the other posted, without knowing the subframe is damage or not, it may be more or it may be less.
Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts