Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2018 Subaru Forester Limited. Since I bought it last year I had already changed all interior light to led bulb. Last week all the interior light and car key remote doesn’t work. I bring it back to Serramonte Subaru and they claim that I used after market led bulb mess up the DIU unit and charge me almost one thousand dollars to get it fix. I was wondering if that is true or not. Please kindly advise by return.
Should I pay for that $960 repair fee?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
1,654 Posts
@Henry Tang What is a DIU unit?

My 2018 Limited came with LED dome and map lights, but I replaced the remaining incandescent bulbs (cargo, license plate and door bottoms) with aftermarket LED's. So far no problem.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester 6MT
50 Posts
I've had issues with the trunk LED interfering with the remote on my 2018 (I recall someone mentioned the antenna might be back there). I had to basically wait until the approach lighting went off before the remote would work (i.e., that LED turned off) -- just manually toggling it off fixed that problem. I have Diode Dynamics after-market LEDs everywhere else (both dome lights, map lights, visor lights, puddle lights) and there are no issues. If you got super-cheapo ones off of eBay with crappy electronic front-ends, I could see them interfering more, but I'd be surprised if they'd cause actual damage - especially on that scale.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
458 Posts
On my 2007 I replaced most incandescent bulbs with LED and had no problem. On my 2018 I replaced all incandescent bulbs with LED had have no problem. I've never looked inside an LED bulb (at the schematic) but it is conceivable that some would make enough electromagnetic noise to cause problems. My 2007 had Philips LEDs, and my 2018 has a mix of Philips and Diode Dynamics. My 2018 also has some no-name brand for the light on the back of the visors. I don't have to wait for approach lighting to turn off or anything like that. Everything works as normal.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
442 Posts
Sounds like an issue with the Body Integrated Unit (BIU) module, similar tales of woe from others on the web involving interior lights and key fobs not working after replacing some interior lights or messing with other electrical wiring etc. Especially when circuit is hot (battery is not disconnected before working on electrical circuit). Anyway can be an expensive fix some have found a used BIU instead of new. Some have recommended bite the bullet and get it installed thru a Subaru dealer if you want the repair done right, they might be needed anyway if you have to have the keyfob reprogramed. Buyer beware when using some offbrand LED bulbs as they could be the cause, I've replaced all my interior ones with Diode Dynamics LEDs and some exterior ones also with no issues.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,084 Posts
Same here. 17’. Completely swapped all oem bulbs over to Diode Dynamics LED bulbs some time ago with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
236 Posts
What is a DIU unit? And frankly whatever it is, that repair should have been covered under warranty on a 2018. There is no way simply replacing bulbs causes such issues.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have a 2018 Subaru Forester Limited. Since I bought it last year I had already changed all interior light to led bulb. Last week all the interior light and car key remote doesn’t work. I bring it back to Serramonte Subaru and they claim that I used after market led bulb mess up the DIU unit and charge me almost one thousand dollars to get it fix. I was wondering if that is true or not. Please kindly advise by return.
What brand of LED bulbs did you install?

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
458 Posts
What is a DIU unit? And frankly whatever it is, that repair should have been covered under warranty on a 2018. There is no way simply replacing bulbs causes such issues.
Maybe BIU, body integrated unit. Small computer that handles body stuff, maybe doors open/closed, stuff like that.

I can't imagine that the bulbs caused any damage. Maybe some interference causing weird or no operation, but not actual damage.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
236 Posts
So what were you actually charged for Henry? What does it actually say on your invoice? I am sure that over 90% of all LED bulbs made are from China. I just do not see the connection with your issue and think that they used it as an excuse to rip you off. I am willing to be proven wrong but I don't see how replacing a dome light, for example, can cause a no-start condition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe BIU, body integrated unit. Small computer that handles body stuff, maybe doors open/closed, stuff like that.

I can't imagine that the bulbs caused any damage. Maybe some interference causing weird or no operation, but not actual damage.
Can we fix the BIU? Is it expensive?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Should I pay for that $960 repair fee?

Recently I had received this postcard about the Starlink System cause some issues and a settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit Subaru of America, Inc. Will Starlink System also affect the BIU in my 2018 Forester? Subaru said they will charge me around one thousand bucks for fix the BIU. Warranty is not cover since I changed the cheap led bulb myself. Is it reasonable?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Henry, some LED bulbs have been known to cause "interference". Have to tried replacing your aftermarket LED's with the original factory incandescent bulbs? Might be worth a try to see if your problem goes away.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
236 Posts
Why are you saying you need to replace the BIU?. What did it actually say on your repair? estimate. And why are you being denied warranty coverage for it on a 2018? The dealer can say a witch flew over the vehicle causing the gremlins, it doesn't mean they are right.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
584 Posts
I found that I could swap many of the bulbs without issue. I used quality replacements from a reputable LED site and I still had issues when , of all things, I replaced the side marker bulbs in the headlights with LEDs. I found that doing this lead to a battery drain. The drain was due to the led backlighting for the radio staying on even when the car was off. Swapped the side marker bulbs back to stock and the issue went away. Odd as hell but whatever :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts