Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium Manual
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a question that gets asked alot on this forum, but does anyone know if there are any short shifters that can be used on SJ platform? I had heard the the Perrin Short Shifter (PSP-INR-201) is in fact able to fit the SJ model, but I am honestly looking more for something along the lines of the Boomba or Cobb shifters... Has anyone attempted to install either of them? What exactly is the difference between the OEM WRX and Forester shifters that prevents compatability?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm going to bump this thread up, because I have the same exact question.

We're buying a 2017 with a 6-speed, and my only gripe is how long the throws are.

Our 2015 WRX has a Boomba Short Throw Shift Lever, Perrin shifter bushing, and an Group A transmission mount, and it's damn near perfect. I'd love to mimic the same setup on the Forester, if possible.

Push comes to shove, I'll pull the factory shifter box out of the car and compare/contrast the Forester unit to the take-out WRX unit to see if it's at all compatible.

·
Registered
50 Posts
@CGumina
BUMP! What did you find out?
I have a feeling the STI oem weighted plate (and the Boomba) will fit the Foz
My first priority is the shifter stop. I came from nissan 4x4's running 300zx transmissions but with longer levers...The throw was long but they were crisp unlike 1st and 2nd in the FOZ

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did my own digging. Hard to capture with camera but it's the same as the WRX part.
Borrowed from the internet is a pic of a shifter like ours(bottom left) and a Factory Short (top) throw compared to a Boomba Short Throw(right).
The red circles I drew on the factory parts show the different positions they could be drilled for the stud. Each one is about 0.5" apart. Stock forester is about 2.125" from shift shaft to the stud for the cable and the STI one is about 1.625" giving approximately 24% reduction of front to back throw.
Presently my 15Foz has a throw of over 4.5" front to back and 2.25" left to right if you don't count the slop. (my long shifter nissan 4x4 is 4" in each direction) The STI plate would make that about 3.44"

·
Registered
50 Posts
IN addition to Factory STI There are a few aftermarket brands out there. The Boomba has good review, the Perrin has been characterized as making it more notcy because it does not have the counterweights.
And I feel the Cobb is worth mentioning as it offers you 15% and 30% reduction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts