Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester2.5i Touring Manual
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Forester 2.5i Touring and I am thinking about unleashing some power. I might go with an EGR delete, custom exhaust and a tuner. I have never owned an electronic tuner and I can't easily find one online specifically for my model. Does anyone have a 2.5 forester that has tuned it with a tuner or does anyone know a tuner that would work? I mainly would want to turn the engine light off, play with the idle a bit and maybe more. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Feel free to suggest other possible power gains or general mods.

If there is already a similar thread, sorry for reposting. I took a quick look, but there was a lot of pages of threads to go through.

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD
4,642 Posts
The tactrix cable and program by epifan supports what is called SubaruEdit (ECUedit) . It utilizes ECUflash and tactrix and has 2011 FB25 engine coverage.

There is a catch. Unlike what they offer for other turbo platforms (single purchase personal usage, free version just for logging) , the NA crowd has to spend the full $400 and purchase the PRO version for NA motor coverage of newer years if you want to do any editing or DTC removal.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
724 Posts
I have a 2018 Forester 2.5i Touring and I am thinking about unleashing some power.
You're likely to be disappointed. While the 2.0 turbo can be tuned to output heroic levels of power the general consensus is the 2.5 engines pretty much deliver all they've got and a lot of money can be spent for very little gain.

·
Registered
244 Posts
2018 is still under warranty any of those alterations you discussed will likely void your warranty, so unless you are wealthy you may wish to leave it alone ,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the help so far! I am not planning on making a race car out of my Forester, but the second half of my exhaust is very restrictive and the EGR is engaged a lot. If I gained 10HP I would be happy. I will keep the cats, but I want the 2.5 to breath a little cleaner. As far as the warranty is concerned, it doesn't cover very much for very long, Subarus are fairly reliable and mine is well maintained. I might wait until the warranty is up just to be safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I replaced the second half of the exhaust, custom built with stainless steel.

Noticeable Benefits:
-More power
-Better throttle response
-Amazing sound
-Better fuel economy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,017 Posts
What you noticed as far as gains is called the Placebo Effect. By far the largest restriction in the exhaust are the two cats.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 6MT
6 Posts
That would make sense. There does not appear to be any tuners out there for the NA Forester. BTW, I tried disconnecting the EGR. If you unplug the connector, the ECU immediately knows and disables the cruse control, traction control and goes into a mild limp mode. I bought a used EGR valve on ebay and plugged that in. For two days it ran with some more bottom end torque until the ECU figured out what I had done. Hopefully someday there will be a programmer for the NA engine.

It seems that EGR flow has a temperature map in the ECU. Now that it is winter, the car has more pep. Above 60oF, it can't get out of its own way.

The exhaust is so restrictive that the only way to rev the engine past 4K is floored in 2nd gear, the restriction kills power beyond that.

If anyone hears and has tried a tuner for the NA, give us details.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
The best you can do is have your ECM pro-tuned either via email or on a dyno for PREMIUM fuel. The gains won't be great, but they'll be able to increase timing across the board which will translate into a few percent more power, likely. They'll also be able to tune for an EGR delete, if you like. Finally, pro-tuners don't care about emissions, so they'll be able to smooth out your performance curve a bit.

RE: EGR:
The ECM also senses for proper operation of the EGR, not just that the ECM is communicating with...something, which is why you didn't have any luck with a second EGR connected and the one mounted on the engine disconnected.

RE: Catback:

Are you saying that your new catback allows you to rev past 4k more easily?

I think most people feel as if the a catback exhaust makes their vehicles faster and gives them better gas mileage simply because it makes more noise. You may end up shifting sooner on average than you did before, because the noise tells your brain that you're way past your normal shift points.

When I had a Nameless ABE installed on my previous STI, I noticed that I even shifted more conservatively, so that I didn't bother others, say, in a neighborhood. Eventually, when I got used to the noise, everything went back to normal, I think.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Do you have a website for Pro-tuners?
You're already in the right section of this forum. Just read the threads below you, contact those who are mentioned as reputable and see if they can work with N/A.

You could also cruise on over to NASIOC.com and ask around there for tuners in your general area. You're definitely not the first to ask this question, so you should find some help.

I've always gone the easy route of using a Cobb Accessport, so I don't have much experience with other methods of tuning. You'll have to do that research on your own or, again, find a pro-tuner who will walk you through it.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 6MT
6 Posts
After much internet searches and contacting the recommended companies, no one has software to tune a NA engine. the only software out there is for turbocharged engines.

Hopefully someday there will be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts