Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester Touring 2.5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm in the process of getting a sail boat. a 4500lb sail boat. so I know that the forester is legally NOT rated to handle this beast on roads and highways. Nor do I intend to. The boat will dry stored at a marina so it can be ramp launched. I would need to move the boat 100 yards on flat level ground. to the ramp(concrete) and down the ramp and back up the ramp. 10% grade.

it has a tow bar extension which includes a wheel designed to support the tongue up an down the ramp. it is not the tongue jack assembly so tongue weight would be minimized.

Can anyone shoot some holes in this process.

2018 forester 2.5 touring

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring Auto-CVT
285 Posts
Getting it down probably isn't an issue but the torque needed to break the resistance of the water and get it up the ramp is likely to do your car in. I routinely launch a boat/trailer combo of about 1300lbs up an admittedly steep ramp and it does it well enough but I'm not sure it likes it very much, especially when the trailer/boat is still in the water. What kind of keel?

·
Registered
285 Posts
It sounds like a great way to need a new transmission.
Yeah, if I'm not careful things get a little hot smelling but again the ramp at my club is closer to 30-35% and slippery so my situation is not exactly the same. I still think over 5k pounds is a no-go no matter the grade on the ramp.

Most marinas that handle larger boats have a launch vehicle like a marine forklift or a hoist that allows you to launch with straps or a bridle. Those would be much better choices.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
63 Posts
I towed a 2200lb wood chipper for a short distance. Getting up the slight very short grade on my driveway was working her pretty good. 1300lb she is totally happy up ramps etc. I wouldn't pull 4500lbs up a ramp, I did watch a v8 Cherokee break its trans on a 5200lb boat on the ramp. I imagine you would need a tow up a ramp.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
boat has a lifting keel. only draws 18" of water with the keel up here is a pic of the same make and model of boat on its trailer. marina has a travel-lift, that seldom operates, and when it does at 10 bucks a foot, and a small chain fall thats good for 2 tons, and two ramps

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
63 Posts
Even at 100 feet you are thousands cheaper than a new trans. I imagine subaru can tell that the trans was heavily overloaded when it failed. The odds of the car living through that towing are incredibly low. Rent a uhaul pickup they can be had with trailer hitches.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fishin, which why I'm here asking. never owned a subie before. I know my old 87 s10 with a four banger would have no issues with a hundred yard tow on flat ground with a short ramp pull.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,487 Posts
The boat/trailer weighs considerably more than the car. While moving that combination 100 yards on a flat surface can likely be done, trying to pull that weight up a 10% grade....
It's not the length of the grade as much as the steep incline and just getting that much mass moving from a dead stop. Even if you can pull it up without killing your car, you will be giving it a significant amount of wear in that short distance. You plan on doing it every weekend?
Does you car have a have a CVT? That's a slightly expensive part to replace. You don't have a buddy with a 3/4 ton truck? It would be a challenge for even that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Agree with ^. You might get away with moving it on the flat to the hoist but I’m not sure even doing just that on the regular is going to end well.

I’m skeptical about your truck handling that load with ease. It’s towing capacity is in the 3500 lb range and you will be way over that too.

The bottom line is you need a bigger vehicle.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
237 Posts
Getting it down probably isn't an issue but the torque needed to break the resistance of the water and get it up the ramp is likely to do your car in.
At the ramp once I had an old timer (who happened to be a physics/math professor) tell me that between resistance/drag, bilge water and any cargo, you must always add almost twice the listed boat weight when hauling that baby out. I was having a rough time getting a boat very similar to yours out of a wet ramp with a Chevy 1500 4x4...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i am ultimatly looking at a dedicated tow vehicle if I go this route, to replace my ford cmax that has 83K miles. Ultimatley I can wet store the boat and not need a tow vehicle. but that has it own extra costs...

but current year 1/2 ton P/U have tow ratings around 10K lbs now and smaller SUVs are going in to 5-8K tow range. thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i am ultimatly looking at a dedicated tow vehicle if I go this route, to replace my ford cmax that has 83K miles. Ultimatley I can wet store the boat and not need a tow vehicle. but that has it own extra costs...

but current year 1/2 ton P/U have tow ratings around 10K lbs now and smaller SUVs are going in to 5-8K tow range. thanks for the insight.
Wet storing and proper bottom maintenance will be way cheaper than a new transmission. Out of curiosity what smaller SUVs are towing in the range you quoted?

·
Registered
2018 Forester Manual
321 Posts
I'm not sure I'd do it and I'm crazy enough to exceed the towing capacity of the car.

4500 pounds of boat or travel trailer is a lot harder to tow than a 4500 pound dump trailer. Wind will blow you around a lot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts