Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester 6MT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What aftermarket tow hooks would people recommend for a 2018 Forester? There's a bunch of thread from the past, but I'm curious as to what's considered best today.

·
Registered
2014 Forester
10 Posts
What aftermarket tow hooks would people recommend for a 2018 Forester? There's a bunch of thread from the past, but I'm curious as to what's considered best today.
Do you mean a hitch mount?

Curt, drawtite and torklift eco hitch are the main ones.

curt and drawtite are basically the same. Ecohitch mounts a bit higher and looks but is more expensive. Personally, I mounted a curt because it was made in the U.S.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Prem CVT Auto
48 Posts
What are your intentions with an aftermarket tow eye?

The Stock tow eye bolt is plenty strong. I've seen pictures of them bent at the eyelit.

What's not so strong is what it threads into (see pictures below of an XV). I would strongly recommend fitting a class III or above hitch with a 2 inch receiver. They can be found for about $100 online. Then either use the pin thru the strap end or get a shackle adapter and use a 3/4 hard shackle or soft shackle.

The tow point is designed for slow, controlled winch pulls (from a tow truck or winch-equipped vehicle). Snatch recoveries are very harsh on vehicles and components, distributing this load between the two unibody rails where the hitch attaches helps minimize damage, although it can still occur.

I'm guilty as well, I've used both tow eyes for light snatches in the snow, no issues at all, but I also use a kinetic recovery strap which helps lower the shock.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use the tow hook that cam with my subaru and painted it black. I purchased another on for the front. I then bought 2 tow cap covers for $6 each and made holes to slide the tow hook through. See attached pics. Not perfect work but looks better than before I think. I still have the original red caps in my glove box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts