Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a set of Continental TerrainContact A/T tires. My question has to do with what tire pressure you all like these tires at (or other, similar A/T tires, if the case may be).

I ran them last year with the recommended Subaru tire pressure, but the tires seemed .... off. As if they needed more air to function optimally.

I drive mostly on interstate and paved neighborhood roads, but each weekend involves driving on USFS roads.

Let me know what you all like to have these tires set at :)

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,246 Posts
@SoobADoob
The recommended tire pressures are a compromise between mileage/performance (higher pressure) and ride comfort (lower).
Car manufacturers tend to favor the pressure for a comfortable ride.

It's seldom, if ever, that a tire manufacturer will suggest a different pressure on a stock or near stock sized tire because tire pressure requirements are related to the weight of the vehicle that the tire needs to support rather than the tire's tread type.

I ride on non-maintained dirt/rock roads to leave home and I need 50 miles of interstate to get to a store, on tires very similar tire to yours.. Falken WildPeaks.
In my case they are XL rated. Although I don't usually carry a lot of weight, the tires are heavier duty and more rock resistant.

Because of the interstate, I like to run a few pounds over, and for me that's 33/32 rather than the 30/29 on the door jamb.
At these pressure settings my mpg tire weight penalty (XLs are heavier) is less than 1 mpg.

If you are loaded at or near the GVWR for the car, it's generally a good idea to err on the high side of the pressure compromise to support that load.
Fully loaded or towing a trailer the rears get 36.

Note that any tire pressure should be checked/adjusted when the tire is cold, and that isn't when it's been sitting in the sun in your driveway or after you've driven the car any appreciable distance.

I have no idea what "seemed off" means, but adding a few pounds over the sticker won't hurt, but a significant increase will cause increased tire wear in the center, so don't stray too far from the recommended spec.

Try it an see if it feels any better to you.
With a more pressure you will feel bumps more, and possibly get a bit better mileage, but look out for abnormal tire wear patterns...

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
193 Posts
Having my 2017 to 94000 miles and two sets of tires I can tell you the 30/29 recommended pressure on the door badge is complete B.S and if you use it you will soon see excessive outside threadwear.. Many here think this was set so to help the very poor winter performance of the OEM tires, I problem you shall not have. Use 34/33 in summer and 33/32 in winter.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium CVT
56 Posts
I own a set of Continental TerrainContact A/T tires.
How do you like these tires?

I need to replace my all season (3 season) oem tires. I drive mostly on paved roads but want to be able to drive on gravel and dirt, when I need to. Sounds like the Terrain Contact A/T is supposed to fill this niche. Conti also makes a Terrain Contact H/T that has less aggressive tread pattern -- probably better when pavement is most of what you drive on.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you like these tires?

I need to replace my all season (3 season) oem tires. I drive mostly on paved roads but want to be able to drive on gravel and dirt, when I need to. Sounds like the Terrain Contact A/T is supposed to fill this niche. Conti also makes a Terrain Contact H/T that has less aggressive tread pattern -- probably better when pavement is most of what you drive on.
I have enjoyed them a lot more currently than when I first bought them.

Two points to keep in mind: 1. Takes about 1K miles for them to break in, shedding the coating from the factory, and 2. The car will feel sluggish (for me it did) if tire pressure is set to factory specs of 30/29.

Since they've been broken in and I've used 34/33, I have been very happy with the ride on pavement. MPG will take a slight hit, but that is to be expected. Sound-wise, I think the noise level is comfortable, with windows up/down. Off-road, I've also been happy with their capabilities; I leaned toward these because I thought I'd have better peace of mind when I went deep into Wilderness Areas where cell reception is nihl. The stock Yokohamas, I thought, were rather capable, but I like the Conti A/Ts better.

I checked out the H/Ts early on, but I think the A/T is a better tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts