Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
124 Posts
I note some of the comments on tires are more appropriate for those looking for off road capabilities. I am not and have been primarily a Michelin user. I will be needing tires and when I asked my regular tire dealer, his first suggestion was the Defender until I noted the 17 inch size and that I have 18 inch wheels. Defender has only two sizes available in 18 inch and not what I needed. Other option is the CrossClimate2. The main strength of the Defender is long mileage with good ride. CrossClimate2 has at least as good a ride, better handling and braking, and snow capability. Of course more expensive but more like $1000 all in, not $2000. My main concern with CrossClimate2 is that some people have experienced a loss in fuel economy with it. Any experience here appreciated. While I will probably stick with my tire dealer that also services car, I have also bought multiple sets of tires from Discount Tire and been satisfied. In California, Discount Tire operates as America's Tire.

·
Registered
2020 Forester
3 Posts
I have a different suggestion if you are on road mostly. The Nokian WRG4 SUV is a fantastic tire. Quiet and superbly competent in bad weather including 6 inches of snow. They are snow rated so there is really no reason to change through the year. I get 2 years of use on them (19K per year) and have them on several vehicles. Discount Tire carries them though they are typically not in stock in my size.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
3 Posts
I got the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady for my Forester which is an all-weather tire. It's not a snow tire but better than all-season tires in the snow (Central NY State winters). A year later, I purchased the Firestone Weathergrip for my wife's Jeep. Actually like the Firestone tires better and cost about $200. less for the set.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
209 Posts
I generally use Discount tire. Good selection of tires generally at the best prices (may be the same as other dealers). They mount and balance. Rotate and repair free. They have dealers across the country, which to my knowledge you can go to any store if there is an issue.
Tire Rack is good, but you have to take them to get them mounted.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport, CVT
51 Posts
Hello. It's time for new tires on my 2018 forester touring. I'd rather not pay $2000 at the dealership and not sure where the next best place to go is for more reasonable price. Also not sure what kind would be best.

I put a decent amount of miles per year in different weather. Averages out to about 25,000 miles a year. My current tires are what came on the car.

Any suggestions/recommendations on where to go and what kind?

Thanks.
I've been very happy with TireRack in the past and had been really happy with Continentals on my '06 Outback, so much so that we also put them on hub's Tacoma, and son's Challenger. So far the Falkens (stock) that came on my '19 Foz Sport seem decent but at 24K miles now I don't think I'm going to get the treadlife I would have expected so I will more than likely go back to the Continentals when it's time, they're a great all-weather tire and really good treadlife.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester Touring CVT
91 Posts
I happen to like the original tires on my 2018. It may be the first time I've liked a manufacturer's choice. I'll be getting the same tires. I checked a couple places and the out-the-door price seems to be about $200 each when doing all 4.

·
Registered
2016 Forester Premium
4 Posts
I like my general RT43s. Maybe on the loud side, but they were pretty worn this winter and still did great on my Forrester. So if you want to run your new tires in the winter, they are a great choice. And such a good price.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
20 Posts
You can't go wrong with the two Michelins mentioned above. However, if you're looking for a less expensive tire many on this forum recommend the General Altimax RT43 which scored high in Consumer Reports road tests. There are plenty of Discount Tire stores in NC so you may want to purchase there.
I’m happy with the AltiMax on my wife’s Forester… but have not experienced snow with them yet.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester
10 Posts
Thanks! I'll check it out!
If you want to learn more about the Michelin CrossClimate 2, check out this video at Engineering Explained on YouTube.

Jason, the terrific Engineering Explained guy bought (with his own money) a set of the CrossClimate 2 for his Subaru CrossTrek. He explains in some detail the design, construction and materials of the CrossClimate2, and how it can provide good performance in such a wide range of weather and driving conditions.

By the way, the CrossClimate 2 is substantially different and better than the original CrossClimate tire, so if you buy a set, be sure you're getting the latest CC2.

Good luck.
P.S. I decided to sell my 2003 Forester a couple of years ago for a number of reasons, including to get a car with a lower roofline to make it easier for us to load our kayaks. But I thought the Geolanders that came on the Subarus were pretty bad - poor ride, noisy, poor traction. At about 35,000, I gave up on them, and bought a set of Hankook All Season tires (well-rated by CR at the time.) They provided a much better ride, better traction in dry, wet and light snow conditions, but the steering seemed a bit squishy at times, and gas mileage went down 1 or 2 mpg. The Hankooks had plenty of tread left when I traded in the Subaru at 69,000 miles+ for a 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT. And, wouldn't you know, we still have not had a chance to use it with the kayaks.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
209 Posts
I happen to like the original tires on my 2018. It may be the first time I've liked a manufacturer's choice. I'll be getting the same tires. I checked a couple places and the out-the-door price seems to be about $200 each when doing all 4.
Not sure what tires you had. I had Yokohama Geolanders on my '15. I was generally happy with them other than there was a manufacturing issue with one (a pin hole leak developed in the sidewall) and they wouldn't stand behind it at less that 5k mi. I will never own another set of Yokohama due to them not standing behind their product. I even talked the US branch of the company. Japan never responded to my email. It would be a deal breaker for me buying a new car if the dealer won't change them. They were also at the top end of the price range when I looked at replacement time out of curiosity.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Forester Touring
39 Posts
Costco. Michelin CrossClimate2's
I've been buying all my vehicle tires from Costco for 15+ years, to the point that I'm pretty much running on inertia and not checking for other sources, so please let us know if you compare their deal to Discount Tire.

I am pretty sold on Costco's free balance and rotation plan and their road hazard warranty, though, so that would have to be part of the equation. Does Discount Tire offer such?

One caution: A few years ago, I bought Michelins at Costco for a previous car (either a Toyota Avalon or Lexus ES 350--I don't remember which), and let the sales guy talk me into getting a less-expensive "Costco exclusive" Michelin-branded tire that "was made in the same factory as the more expensive model." Even though they had an identical tread pattern and the same mileage warranty (60k, as I recall), the "Costco exclusive" tires were completely worn out in less than 35k miles (and I'm thinking that it might have been less than 30k).

The way that Toyota sets up their cars with negative camber in front (for handling reasons, I'm told), the tires always wear unevenly, meaning that Michelin won't honor the mileage warranty (and I've been told that other tire manufacturers are the same). Usually that meant that I ate about 5-10k off the mileage warranty on every set of tires, but having to eat 25-30k didn't go down at all well with me. So be careful about buying a "Costco exclusive" Michelin model, if such a thing exists for the CrossClimate2s.

And a question: I've not had to do an alignment on my 2021, yet, so I've not had a talk with my alignment shop owner about my Forester. Does Subaru design in a negative camber up front like Toyota does (specifically on late-model Foresters)?

·
Registered
2015 Forester
209 Posts
The way that Toyota sets up their cars with negative camber in front (for handling reasons, I'm told), the tires always wear unevenly, meaning that Michelin won't honor the mileage warranty (and I've been told that other tire manufacturers are the same).
Not sure what Subaru uses, but if the camber is set up to cause uneven tire wear it seems to me the car designers did a poor job. If all or most tire companies a not honoring the wear out warrantee on them, that would also appear to be a good indication of poor design. The settings should be based on vehicle characteristics to provide good handling with neutral tire wear. I haven't seen any vehicle that doesn't produce some edge wear on the front just due to cornering, but that is generally evened out with rotations.
I have not had any issue of uneven wear with my Forester. First set of tires ran about 70k. I'm close to 25k on my second set (different brand).

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,491 Posts
Recently purchased 4 new Michelin Defenders at Discount Tire. My last set was so good I bought them again. Great tires for all conditions. Super quiet and they last.

I have to note, I am very impressed with Discount Tire. Awesome customer service.
Those new Michelin Crossclimate 2 tires look great. I don’t deal with snow, but I would still consider them for my next set.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts