Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2018 forester touring
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. It's time for new tires on my 2018 forester touring. I'd rather not pay $2000 at the dealership and not sure where the next best place to go is for more reasonable price. Also not sure what kind would be best.

I put a decent amount of miles per year in different weather. Averages out to about 25,000 miles a year. My current tires are what came on the car.

Any suggestions/recommendations on where to go and what kind?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,491 Posts
Michelin Defenders T+H are excellent long lasting tires. Discount Tire has a good price for them and will beat any published price. I’m on my second set. Good all weather tires.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,484 Posts
Discount Tire (a Supporting Vendor of our forum) and Tirerack are favorite online suppliers. Check their websites for listings and for customer ratings of many choices of tires.

·
Registered
2020 Limited - Crystal white pearl
76 Posts
Ive never understood why dealerships charge SO much for tires. If you live on the west coast Les schwab is also a decent place to get tires!

·
Administrator
19,484 Posts
I'd say that it's kind of a monopoly, based on buyer fear of harming their precious car by using inappropriate tires. Similar to that involving oil and oil filters.

·
Administrator
19,484 Posts
Tirerack's site is good for research and buyer ratings.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
71 Posts
I’m currently running the Falken WildPeaks A/T Trail SL. I have about 3500 miles on them and love them. Great on road / off road tire.

Continental Pro Contact GX is what I use to run. Great tire with good all season rating and grip. Got about 45K miles on them before they were bald.

continental terrain contact H/T is another great option. A little bit on the heavier side but it’s a killer tire with super long tread life.

If you live in an area where you need snow tires I recommend the Continental Winter Contact SI or the Viking contacts.

I drive about 20k - 25k a year and go through a set of tires every 2-3 years. I usually use tirerack.com or discount tire. Either one is a good option.

Also check out the warranty on the tires. Most good companies will give you a 30-60 day trial on the tires with either a full refund or a trade for another pair of the same brand tires.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,996 Posts
Bought three sets of tires from Tire Rack in the last twelve years, for three different cars. One set was snow tires on steel rims. After shipping, mounting and balancing, the other two sets were a little less expensive that what was quoted locally. I liked the informative site, and there were no problems with the ordering.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,816 Posts
You can't go wrong with the two Michelins mentioned above. However, if you're looking for a less expensive tire many on this forum recommend the General Altimax RT43 which scored high in Consumer Reports road tests. There are plenty of Discount Tire stores in NC so you may want to purchase there.

·
Registered
2016 Forester Limited
57 Posts
Depending on where you reside, my advice is to always have 2 sets of tires and 2 set of wheels, whcih BTW I do have some Bridgestone Blizzaks with maybe 1000 miles on them that were on my 16 Subie. If you're interested PM me

·
Registered
2021 Forester Sport
13 Posts
Tirerack is honestly the easiest website to deal with. Might be a few bucks cheaper elsewhere, but their customer service and reliability makes me want to support them over others.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
452 Posts
I've had the General Altimax RT43 for a number of years now, very happy with them they seem like a really good value. Got them thru Discount Tire. Based on Tire Rack and Consumer Reports reviews they graded well for wet traction especially which as a Seattle area driver is important! Handle well don't seem particularily noisy.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i CVT
14 Posts
If you don't mind a slightly firmer ride, the Cooper Discoverer Enduramax is a great tire - and more robust against punctures than many other tires. It even has the three-mountain peak/snowflake symbol on it, which means it'll handle snow and ice better than anything but a dedicated winter tire. I just put these on my 2016 Forester. I had General Altimax RT43's before the Coopers. The Generals performed very well but were a bit puncture-prone after 30-thousand miles.

·
Registered
2017 XT
30 Posts
I’m currently running the Falken WildPeaks A/T Trail SL. I have about 3500 miles on them and love them. Great on road / off road tire.
I'm on my second pair of Yok Geolander A/T. Solid on the highway as well as in the dirt. I want to try the Wildpeaks next. I think they are extremely similar in all aspects.

Has anyone had experience with the Geolanders and the Wildpeaks? Pros/Cons?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium CVT
35 Posts
I've had the General Altimax RT43 for a number of years now, very happy with them they seem like a really good value. Got them thru Discount Tire. Based on Tire Rack and Consumer Reports reviews they graded well for wet traction especially which as a Seattle area driver is important! Handle well don't seem particularily noisy.
I second Altimax - seems like a good tire and not too expensive. I do not take them on the dirt roads a lot though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts