Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2018 Subaru Forester and it has one problem the dealer could not address. That problem is that the throttle sticks. When I lift my foot from the throttle pedal, the RPMS do not begin to drop for some time. That time may be short, like perhaps only 1/2 second. But when driving it is quite a problem, and it seems like much longer. The service people at the dealership tell me the problem cannot be fixed and they recommended I change my driving habits. I think that was rude. If I could change my driving habits to account for this anomaly after 50 years of driving, then I would not longer be able to drive my 2003 Outback, or any other normal car in existence, well. My understanding is that the problem comes from the use of poorly programmed computers to handle throttle control. This would be fine if the computers never break, and if they are fast enough not to cause a problem like the one I am having. Surely I can replace the faulty computer with a properly programmed and fully functional computer.
Of course the throttle lag causes at least two major difficulties. First, when upshifting, it is normal to release foot pressure from the throttle pedal at the same moment as pressing the clutch pedal. This allows the RPMs to start dropping so that it is close to the correct RPM for engaging the next gear. When I do this in the Forrester, the RPM shoots up because the throttle is not reduced. This makes it seem to an observer that I don't know how to drive, a false impression. It also means the RPM is high for reengagement. Surely this also causes wasted fuel expenditure.
The other problem is of course, when downshifting. When downshifting it is normal to tap the throttle briefly to raise the RPMs so they are close to ideal for engaging the next lower gear. In my Forrester the RPMs go higher than it should and engine breaking doesn't begin as would be expected. Because of this, I find I use my brakes much more when stopping that I would in any other car. This must cause excess brake wear. Stopping is not the usual perfectly orchestrated automatically performed maneuver I am used to. Instead it is a matter of coping with an odd behaviour. I would expect throttle response to be programmable, adjustable.
Can I get Subaru to fix this problem ? Can I replace the faulty computer with better ? What other options do I have ?

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,450 Posts
What I believe you're describing is Rev Hang. And yeah...it's not something they can fix. You're gonna have to learn to live with it unless you can find a way to get it tuned out via something like an open source tune since Cobb doesn't have an accessport option for you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes it's very normal on newer cars. I always understood that it was for emissions. It does make footwork and rev matching harder, but again, it does take driver improvement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts