Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Editorial Content
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Every year when winter arrives, snow falls and the cars on the road slow to a walking pace. Patience is an important part of driving in the winter, and one that I’ve learned to appreciate each year. But what if you don’t want to be patient in the slick, snowy roads? Subaru has a solution.

It’s called the Forester XT, and it is the fastest version of Subaru’s compact crossover. The reason it’s so capable has a lot to do with what’s lurking under the hood. A powertrain borrowed from Subaru’s sport-compact WRX, there’s a 2.0-liter turbocharged boxer engine that makes 250 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque.
Read more about the 2018 Subaru Forester XT Review at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
2013 Forester X Automatic
202 Posts
I drove an 18’ XT a couple weeks ago and I have to say I was underwhelmed. I expected it to be peppier than it was. How do they compare to the older XTs with the 2.5 turbo and non cvt? It didn’t evan come close to convincing me that it would be much of an upgrade over my current n/a Forester. The main gains over my current vehicle would be the driver aids(which I really like).

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT CVT (High Torque)
205 Posts
I drove an 18’ XT a couple weeks ago and I have to say I was underwhelmed. I expected it to be peppier than it was. How do they compare to the older XTs with the 2.5 turbo and non cvt? It didn’t evan come close to convincing me that it would be much of an upgrade over my current n/a Forester. The main gains over my current vehicle would be the driver aids(which I really like).

Did you try the S or S# modes during the test drive? The I (intelligent) setting tries to keep revs to a minimum, and changes throttle, turbo, and timing to minimize fuel use. It feels like an entirely different car in sport or sport sharp settings, but resets to I every time you start the car.

In I mode, you can hardly tell there is a turbo there in normal driving, because the revs are kept below where the boost starts to build into positive pressures. In S#, the revs are kept in a medium range with additional gears, and S lets revs get high for maximum boost.

The old 2.5X were actually quite a bit less torquey in lower revs, had more spool-up, and felt more reliant on the turbo for power (which they had less of). The twin scroll turbo is very easy to live with by comparison. The CVT is no match for a good stick shift, but the HT-CVT with paddles is a fun transmission to drive, especially in 8-speed mode. I like it, and I drove exclusively stick shifts for over 20 years (save the manuals!).

If you only tried I mode, go back and try the other modes. Note that you need to warm up the car before it will engage S# mode, to save wear on the transmission.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
750 Posts
How long do you have to warm the car up before it will engage S or S# mode?
You can switch to S mode immediately as you start engine but it wouldn't change much since I mode behaves same as S mode until blue light goes of (around 100F).
When blue light goes off you can switch to S# and S will hold higher RPMs comparing to I mode, but CVT will still behave odd until TQ locks around 130F.
Between 130-170F if will feel better but only after around 170F you can feel real difference between I-mode and S#.
I would wait until temperature stabilize around 200F before I start using full potential...

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,312 Posts
The remote starter will be helpful.

If you live in a very cold area, and have a 100W heatpad glued to your engine oilpan, it would make sense to put a 50W heatpad on the CVT.

·
Registered
2013 Forester X Automatic
202 Posts
@slowhatch
try it in S# (auto and manual!) when engine temperature reaches 190-200F
I’ll have to go back and give that a try. I do have to admit I’m not expecting to be wowed though I’ll keep an open mind. Recently, I was able to drive a 07 that had sti stuff on it and a tune, maybe 300ish at the wheels. That was much much better, actually more than I expected it to be.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
45 Posts
My wife normally drives our xt and never takes it out of I. We had an air bag problem recently and drove an Outback 2.5 for about a week. Huge difference. On our rolling hills the Outback had to rev to 3500 and higher to get over the hills on cruise at 60mph. The xt just silently pulls over the hills and never gets above 2000 rpm. You feel the torque in your back. Our cars before had 4 cyl non-turbo engines, very little low rev torque, made their power with high revs, very irritating.

·
Super Moderator
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,553 Posts
I’ll have to go back and give that a try. I do have to admit I’m not expecting to be wowed though I’ll keep an open mind. Recently, I was able to drive a 07 that had sti stuff on it and a tune, maybe 300ish at the wheels. That was much much better, actually more than I expected it to be.
S# and manual mode is heaven. It's actually a manual mode that won't screw around and change gears on you (that I've found at least!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts