Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 MT
106 Posts
I've searched and read many posts about data access on the 14-18 subarus. Looking a cheap solution to data log. Sounds like ssm4 and some software. I have a '18 Subaru 6spd foz with a performance anomaly. Dealers are useless.

This appears to be a costly problem. I was hoping for a simple data logging solution .. no tuning .. just logging so I can more clearly identify the issue. As a driver the issue is very clear.. just can't get the dealer pointed in the right direction.

Any help appreciated. Thx

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
22 Posts
A bluetooth OBDII adapter and one of the many mobile apps. I use the free version of Torque for watching sensor readings (coolant temp mostly), but the paid version has data logging... there are many other apps also.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
343 Posts
Care to elaborate on what the drivability issue you are having is? Perhaps the kind folks around here can point you in the right direction without forking over any cash unnecessarily.

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD and 535hp
4,708 Posts
BTssm is very useful, and the cheapest and most cost effective option at the moment. Im not sure the Tactrix 2.0 + romraider covers these ECUs just yet. There is a program called SubaruEdit by Epifan software, but its $100 just for the lite-version of the personal program that JUST datalogs, without the ability to view/edit the maps (thats $400).
Other options include torquePro as mentioned before, or universal scanner/loggers such as the Autel Maxilinks, but again, those handheld scanners are universal and universal datalog capabilities come at a price. One such item would be an investment you could use on all your vehicles.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 MT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I sent a pm to jpciii since he has the same Forester.

The drive-ability issue is random (seemingly) lack of power. It seems like retarded timing. I have had many foresters .. mostly XTs. With a 16 yr soon to be driver I decided to get a basic Forester. The 2.5i 6mt should be a fun car to drive.

Reading about BTSSM and Tactrix it was unclear whether the 2018 was supported or not.

If I understand correctly 2014 - 2018 Subaru Forester share the same ECU.

I will post again once I hear from jpciii

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD and 535hp
4,708 Posts
At the very least, get some datalogs rolling here. If timing is being removed, this has to do with the knock control system, whether it is real knock or perceived / predicted knock based on other factors.

If it is indeed knock, i would suggest running a tank of 91 / 93 octane through it to see if it improves or clears up. And depending on the vehicles mileage, these newer DIT motors also need periodic cleaning of the intake valves (sometimes referred to as Wallnut blasting) to clean out the buildup of carbon on them.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 MT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car has 15k miles. I have tried a couple of tanks of premium with no change.

I've also had it to the dealer multiple times ... deer in the headlights.

I ordered a simple ODBii to BT adapter and hope to collect and post some logs tomorrow or Monday.

Thx

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
22 Posts
goatman64 IM'd and asked about the sensors my app can see. I have Torque(Lite) which is free. Free version doesn't allow data logging. I cannot comment on what exactly the paid version can log. See attached pics that show all the sensors Torque(Lite) can display live readings of on a 2018 2.5i with manual trans. Please forgive the destroyed Galaxy S4 - it's an old beater that lives in the Forester.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 MT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Has anything changed on the data logging front? I purchased a cheap bluetooth ODB2 adapter and was disappointed in the data ... guess I got what I paid for..

BTSSM and Tactrix sounded good but it wasn't clear if it would work on the 2018.

I continue to struggle with my intermittent performance issue. I also have a oil consumption issue. I working on both via local subaru service.

I recently had a 2019 Forester Sport as a loaner. Nice car and it would run circles around my 2018 Forester. Same engine .. granted many differences .. but ... stomp on it and it goes. Use S# and it really goes!

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts