Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just upgraded to a set of LP Aventure Wheels with new tires. And I am debating if I should sell my OEM wheels and tires for some extra cash. I've been offered $530 for them and they are still in like new condition with only 18,000 miles on them.

Curious what most folks here do when they upgrade to aftermarket wheels? Do you sell your OEMs to offset the cost?

I am planning to keep my forester for as long as possible but I have read that people said it's best to have the OEM wheels when trading in the car as you get more money.

Appreciate any advice and thoughts people have on this.

cheers

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,935 Posts
You could, sure, but why?

Trade-in? If you keep it for a long time, sell it private party or drive it until the wheels fall off. It's a turbo and a dealership will assume you beat on it like it owed you money. SO, enjoy it and then move on.

That's my plan.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x
757 Posts
If you anticipate trading in your vehicle oem condition is usually best. Private sell probably doesn't matter as much. Do you anticipate your vehicular needs changing within 5 or 6 years? Perhaps keep them. Keep in mind you could offer to trade your LP wheels plus cash for oem wheels if and when the time comes if you did sell your wheels now. Or just sell em and don't worry about it so much. Say you trade in and its a few hundred dollars hit, may not be worth the stress and hassle to store or rebuy/trade down the road.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 XT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Nasarog So... are you saying I should sell? or not sell the OEM wheels + tires?

@mtn_man No, I don't expect my vehicular needs changing. Hope to keep this car for as long as possible.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
100 Posts
I sold mine solely because 4 wheels and tires take up a lot of space

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x
757 Posts
I'd honestly just sell em. Use that money to keep building or to reset against the cost of the new wheels.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
833 Posts
Sell them. By the time you wear out the aftermarket set your 2018 originals will be fairly old, and the combo of a warm climate and lack of use will speed up dry rot.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x
757 Posts
Sell them. By the time you wear out the aftermarket set your 2018 originals will be fairly old, and the combo of a warm climate and lack of use will speed up dry rot.
I would argue the rot totally depends on how you store them. But yeah agree on selling em. You may even get more money separating the tires and wheels.

·
Registered
2014 2.0 XT Touring
135 Posts
if you have the space, and enjoy accumulating car-junk, then keep them. some dude at the end of the used car, private seller rainbow will appreciate that you kept the stock rims when he buys it in 10 years

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The fact is, if you ever trade the car in at some poinr
I am planning to keep my forester for as long as possible but I have read that people said it's best to have the OEM wheels when trading in the car as you get more money.
More often than not (IME), dealers will not appreciate aftermarket items like these and you'll never get close to what you could without parting the car out first. I went through this with my '03 WRX when I traded it in over 10 years ago.

I still had a set of other wheels which I swapped out before the trade. They were like-new. I gave them up for $1,000 to a forum member which was a steal. .....I needed the space to fit my new Challenger in the garage.

I also parted out suspension bits, STi grille, etc. I kept all of the original parts and IMO, it was worth it as I would have never recouped as much as I did by leaving them on the car when I traded it in (not pictured is a rare Prodrive axle-back exhaust).

On the other hand, had I sold the car privately, I am sure the right buyer would have paid a decent enough price for the whole package as they would have valued all or some of the items that were installed. That's something else to think about too.

IME, there is usually the initial period where folks are buying new wheels for their new cars and selling their OEM ones. During this time, you can usually find a decent deal because of the supply available. ....but then as time goes on, what we find available are examples that are more worn / damaged. Also, some stock wheels can appreciate over time if they are more sought after as they are harder to come by.

....so there are pros and cons to each IMO / IME.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x
757 Posts
Since dealerships use lp adventures i don't think its a big deal on trade in if its 5 plus years down the line. But unless you're in a salt belt state keeping the vehicle is going to be a good cost effective route as the routine maintenance is not much and it sounds like that's the ops plan. I would argue forester vs wrx is also slightly different. Wrx are known for being molested. And I would say a stock one definitely holds a higher value...

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I was just using my WRX as an example but the car was never "molested" in the sense of what many often did with them. Anyone "in the know" could notice that and to all others, it essentially looked like a stock Bugeye aside from the wheels. Beyond that, it was in far better condition than most WRX's of that era when I traded it in back in 2010 (pic just days before I parted it out to sell).

......but you're missing my point that I still believe you are far less likely to get the value from leaving aftermarket wheels on your car in a trade-in scenario (like what the OP mentioned) regardless. Even on a Forester the dealer isn't necessarily interested in the value of aftermarket wheels as other may be via private sale whether that's parted out or sold with the car.

I mentioned it earlier but if I had decided to go with a private sale, I would have left all of the bits on the WRX as I know some shoppers could appreciate the value in them.

Bottom line is that I think the advice the OP read has merit. .....obviously not in every situation but enough that's it's worth considering if it's a concern.

·
Registered
2018 XT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Appreciate everyone's opinions. If money were no object, I think I would just keep them.

However, someone has offered me $700 for the set and it's money that could definitely be helpful so I am leaning towards selling.

We shall see!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x
757 Posts
I was just using my WRX as an example but the car was never "molested" in the sense of what many often did with them. Anyone "in the know" could notice that and to all others, it essentially looked like a stock Bugeye aside from the wheels. Beyond that, it was in far better condition than most WRX's of that era when I traded it in back in 2010 (pic just days before I parted it out to sell).

View attachment 544536

......but you're missing my point that I still believe you are far less likely to get the value from leaving aftermarket wheels on your car in a trade-in scenario (like what the OP mentioned) regardless. Even on a Forester the dealer isn't necessarily interested in the value of aftermarket wheels as other may be via private sale whether that's parted out or sold with the car.

I mentioned it earlier but if I had decided to go with a private sale, I would have left all of the bits on the WRX as I know some shoppers could appreciate the value in them.

Bottom line is that I think the advice the OP read has merit. .....obviously not in every situation but enough that's it's worth considering if it's a concern.
No, I got your point. I just disagree. I don't think it will matter 10 year later in the op's example. Trade in won't matter much that far down the line. Private party sale is the way to go if you aren't lazy and can go a short period of time without wheels or have a second vehicle.

I had an 06 wrx and made 304 hp / 350 lbs of torque at the wheels. Im pretty aware of how the wrx market works.. It was a really fun car. Sold it and bought my forester with cash. Overall a wise decision for my needs, especially now with our new born.

For $700 is definitely sell.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,873 Posts
Keep the stockers. Aftermarket wheels deteriorate quickly in weather and time and many look terrible after 5 years. They are commonly made in China and have nowhere near the durability or corrosion resistance of OEM wheels. You'll probably be glad you had the originals to put back on the Foz someday.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Myself, I have two sets of tires and wheels.
One for winter that have blizzaks on them and one set for the other 3 seasons.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I just disagree.
Fair enough.

Keep the stockers. Aftermarket wheels deteriorate quickly in weather and time and many look terrible after 5 years.
It really depends on the quality IME. I had a set of aftermarket wheels on a 1986 4Runner that were on the car since new and those lasted decades before the clear coat started getting milky. ......just got rid of that truck about a month ago.

The finish on my wife's '08 OEM 8-spoke wheels began fading in spots after a few years. ....I kinda wished I kept my Enkies from WRX to put on that car but I knew they'd end up getting curbed by the little lady.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,873 Posts
Fair enough.

It really depends on the quality IME. I had a set of aftermarket wheels on a 1986 4Runner that were on the car since new and those lasted decades before the clear coat started getting milky. ......just got rid of that truck about a month ago.

The finish on my wife's '08 OEM 8-spoke wheels began fading in spots after a few years. ....I kinda wished I kept my Enkies from WRX to put on that car but I knew they'd end up getting curbed by the little lady.
I'm guessing you don't live anywhere where streets are salted and you're lucky for that. There are wide variances in quality. German BBS and Japanese Enkei wheels are often made to OEM specs but cost big bucks. Now there are tons of mfrs casting armor-looking wheels cheaply in China and time will tell how long they last. (A personal pet peeve is the current vogue in wheels with all kinds of little recesses, holes, and fake rimlock/modular design bolts that will never ever be clean, and where finish can start peeling.)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts