Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a GoRhino roof rack and Ridged Industries D-Series Flood light. What is everyone using for their interior switch? (Or are you using the switching provided with the lights)

And...

Where are you placing the switch? The only factory location is see is to the right of the X-Mode on the console rig above the shifter.

TIA!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,732 Posts
I have a different brand of rack/basket and light kits... I have the light tucked down (pivots on the bracket mount to the basket) for when I'm driving and I pivot up for when I'll be using it.

light in raised position

better shot - shows wire kit route

I am using a wiring kit (from Amazon) that has a wired switch and allows the option of a remote/fob switch. So I ran the wire along the basket to the roof rack rail, then tucked in to the rear hatch and sliced into the rubber "tube" that has other wires in it. Then tucked the wire along the headliner and down the driver side to the rear 12v power source (aka lighter socket). I wrapped the rubber tube in black tape - it is holding up OK in my dry So Cal desert environment - wetter locations may require a better solution to that...

I then removed the space holder (I think it would be the space for the rear seat back release on the Touring trim) and fished the wire through there and just attached to the plastic panel.

This way - the light is ONLY powered when the key is turned to "ON" (or maybe ACC) and is a hard button switch in the cargo area. But then with the extra remote fob from the wiring harness kit I bought, I can turn it on or off (or strobe) from wherever I am with the fob and need that extra light.

This was easier than trying to run the wiring all along the interior of the car (or all along the roof and then down to the engine bay and through the firewall)...

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,732 Posts
PS - you could also put the switch on the front panel that has the VDC and the hatch release and is to the left of the steering column... if you run the wires all the way front.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
35 Posts
Still waiting for someone to come out with aftermarket switches that fit in the factory blanks. They had a bunch for toyota tacomas, and yet none for subarus.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,732 Posts
Not sure what goes there (probably something on JDM or even EU vehicles) but sure - it could be used. It's just all about the wiring and how you're going to get juice to and from the switch to the light unit.

·
SeasonedStalker
2017 XT Touring in CBS HT CVT
281 Posts
That would work and be a good looking location in my opinion but I'm not sure how involved tearing apart that area of the console is the panel between the door and steering column is very easy access

·
Registered
2018 Forester MT
35 Posts
What goes here and could it be used for floods? Mine is a Limited.
That spot is for Auto Start Stop disable where it was offered (required?). The openings are the same size as the newer 2019+ upper row and center console switches, I used them to fit customized interior light cut-out (83002XC00A) and camera view (83211AN00A) switches there. The mounts are completely different though, dremelling out old Xmode switches and epoxying the new switches in worked relatively well to hold them in place. Also, to use them as on/off rather than momentary switches, either the guts need to be swapped with 83002AL18A (as seen in the camera view switch) or used in conjunction with a 1-channel latching relay (as done with the interior light cut-out switch).

IMG_7448.JPG IMG_7450 12.21.11 PM.jpg

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
651 Posts
I used the OEM fog light switch as well. My Touring has the fog control on the stalk, so the button was available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts