Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I just recently purchased an '18 Forester 2.5i premium black edition, used, and it came with remote start. It worked the first few times I used it, but it has not been working the past few days. I press the button twice within the three second window, then the car honks once, then honks twice while the remote fob flashes and beeps three times. I have all the doors, windows and hood shut, doors locked and in "park". I took the remote fob into service mode and out of it. Any suggestions? How can i fix it? Am I missing a step?

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@kjb12180 Are you following procedure as outlined below?
View attachment 524729
Yes,
I have a keyed ignition so I have the second fob. I clicked the button on the fob twice within three seconds and it gives the the lights/horn/flash/ and beep sequence of the engine timing out, though the engine has not started. It does go as far as the radio coming on inside before everything shuts off. The doors are all shut, hood shut, car is in park, windows closed, etc.... The car starts fine with the key in the ignition, but will not start with the fob.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
On a lot of cars, the ability to perform a remote start is something the dealer turns on or off. More often than not, it requires a special OBD2 diagnostic tool to set.
Since it was on recently, it is a bit weird it got turned off. I'd ask the dealer.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
778 Posts
Since the radio turns on, it sounds like it's receiving the signal properly. Did you put it in valet mode by accident? (door-locks work but remote start does not)

Part of the starting sequence is validating that security is all in check. That gets increasingly tricky with chipped keys etc. When you start your car with the key, the computer validates that the key in the ignition is "paired" with the car properly. The remote starter needs to mimic this handshake.

I know it defeats the purpose of having a remote starter, but try remote-starting it with a key in the ignition (in the off position). If it DOES start with a key in the ignition, there's something wrong with the security-bypass system.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went through again and check all the safety sensors. The final one I had to check was the hood sensor switch. I pressed it in and the car started with the remote sensor. I let it go and it did not run. I placed a rubber pad on the section of the hood and it works fine now! Why is there a gap over that sensor!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts