Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5iLimited CVT
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were planning to take a trip Saturday and I took the Forester in for an oil change at the Subaru Dealer At the same time, the dealer attempted to perform the passenger airbag connector recall. They replaced the harness and it then threw an airbag code, which means the passenger airbag will not deploy in case of a collision. They said they would have to replace the bottom of the passenger seat, but it would take about 5 days for the seat bottom to arrive. Don't want to drive it with her in the car until repaired. just wondering if anyone has had this occur where they had to replace the entire bottom seat to fix this issue?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
495 Posts
Are you sure it’s the entire bottom portion of the seat, or just the imbedded sensor underneath the seat covering?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
They said it was the complete bottom with a new cover. But since I cannot watch them, who knows? But it was clear what they said about it. Just to be clear I was not having any problems with the airbag to this point.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
1,696 Posts
When Subaru first announced the recall, they indicated that there was a shortage of sensor harnesses and the temporary workaround was replacing the seat cushion assembly. See attached bulletin.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. The dealer said they replaced the harness, then the airbag code appeared, and now they must replace the bottom cushion to remove the airbag code.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
23 Posts
Can your wife sit in the back seat this Saturday for the trip? I know its not an optimal alternative, but you would be able to go on the trip.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
985 Posts
My wife and I were planning to take a trip Saturday and I took the Forester in for an oil change at the Subaru Dealer At the same time, the dealer attempted to perform the passenger airbag connector recall. They replaced the harness and it then threw an airbag code, which means the passenger airbag will not deploy in case of a collision. They said they would have to replace the bottom of the passenger seat, but it would take about 5 days for the seat bottom to arrive. Don't want to drive it with her in the car until repaired. just wondering if anyone has had this occur where they had to replace the entire bottom seat to fix this issue?
I would think you would qualify for a loaner, given that the car was disabled during servicing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I would think you would qualify for a loaner, given that the car was disabled during servicing.
Yeah, but I will not return until Tuesday, and the dealer balked at that. I think he was wrong but didn't want to argue with him. I also did not want to leave my vehicle with them on the lot.Of course, I have the Volvo to take on the trip.It is more of a nuisance than anything else.It sort of PO-ed me because I am thinking they maybe did not disconnect the battery when changing the harness.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
265 Posts
ForesterBill, thanks for posting that link. I'm on the recall, but my dealer doesn't have the part yet. Good to know that I do not have to worry about my passenger as long as the warning light is not on.

·
Registered
2017 FXT CVT
43 Posts
I went to my dealer in December for this recall. As mentioned earlier, they didn't have the parts. In January I received a call to schedule the wiring harness replacement. In all, the replacement took an hour. No problems with the install (I'm assuming they replaced the harness, I wasn't having issues and have not had any since).
Sorry to hear that a preventative procedure resulted in an actual real time issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The way Subaru built the seat and the sensor you have to replace the bottom portion of the seat. I had an old Crosstrek that the dealer broke the sensor on and during my research on the issue i found out you can't just replace the sensor, the seat as a whole has to be replaced. Could be wrong with 2018 but imo the sensor seems to be the same.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you.. I appreciate your knowledgable explanation/

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
125 Posts
Hah, I just had passenger seat bottom number two installed. The first I replaced myself after dropping over six hundred dollars for the seat bottom. SoA paid for the second one about a month ago. The offending hardware is made by Delphi of the good old USA. Have you had to replace the rear wheel bearings yet? How about the clockspring when the horn stopped working? Has that CVT dumped on you yet? Does it burn oil? And lastly, don't forget to get an alignment every six months. Enjoy your Forester ownership.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
1,696 Posts
Hah, I just had passenger seat bottom number two installed. The first I replaced myself after dropping over six hundred dollars for the seat bottom. SoA paid for the second one about a month ago. The offending hardware is made by Delphi of the good old USA. Have you had to replace the rear wheel bearings yet? How about the clockspring when the horn stopped working? Has that CVT dumped on you yet? Does it burn oil? And lastly, don't forget to get an alignment every six months. Enjoy your Forester ownership.
My 2010 Forester with 219k miles...still has original wheel bearings, horn still working, no problems with the 4EAT, didn't burn any oil until after 150k miles (now burns 1 qt between oil changes which I think is reasonable), never experienced uneven tire wear (only got alignments in conjunction with new tires). But I did have a seat cushion frame break long out of warranty which Subaru paid for out of good will.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,101 Posts
Boy I bet your a real joy to have at a party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have to say that in 2.5 years I have had no real issues with the Forester. No, it burns no oil between changes, but I use Genuine Subaru oil and filter, and there is some anecdotal evidence (MrSubaru on youtube)that using the Subaru oil minimizes oil consumption Time will tell as it gets older how it performs in the long haul.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
45 Posts
I just had the air bag recall done. Said they replaced the connector. Back when mine was about 6 months old the air bag refused to turn on. They replaced the seat cushion then and it worked fine and it still works fine after the recall. Back then they gave me a loaner for the week it took to get the cushion.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
530 Posts
Personally, I find the "don't drive the car if the passenger airbag doesn't work" thing quite hilarious.

Would you ever drive a car that was made in the early 80's or even 70's? Their airbags didn't work either. BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY!

It would be a different story if the airbag could self-deploy unexpectedly for no reason. But a passenger dash with an airbag that won't deploy just becomes a dash...

(That being said, if the dealer messed up your car, they should have taken care of you and given you a loaner. No matter how long that was going to be. I'm willing to bet they couldn't have ordered and received the seat-bottom before you got back from your trip anyway)

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
145 Posts
Question - my VIN is not showing any open recall notices but it is an 18' and I do have the symptoms of the passenger airbag problem. Did any of you get a recall notice or how did you go about getting the warranty work? If I need a new seat and cushion I would say that's even better than just a sensor since my kiddo does a number on the interior fabric.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts