Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i Tourin Manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to this site and can't find if this question was previously posted, so sorry if I'm repeating things!

I want to buy a iKamper for my 2018 Forester but can't find any info on the weight limits for the factory rails. Owner's manual only provides crossbar rating, but luckily my car never came with those. Just want to make sure that I know what the limit is on the car before making a big purchase.

I went into the local Subaru dealership recently and asked their parts department about it. They said I was the first customer to ever ask about roof top tents / weight limits for the factory rails, and that the limit was 150 lbs based on the manual. I thought that was for the factory-installed crossbars? I can't get a clear answer from anyone but I'm sure others have asked this question before.

Appreciate the help!

·
Administrator
15,071 Posts
G'day & Welcome!

I have an Autohome hard shell camper which mounts on my MY'03. It weighs about 70kg / 154 lbs so I feel sure the iKamper will be fine on your vehicle. Static weight can be much higher e.g. accommodates 2 adults.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i Tourin Manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kevin! Glad to know hard shell tents have a home on a Forester.

Subaru finally replied to my email from weeks ago saying they'd only recommend the same weight rating for their rails as they would their crossbars...there seems to be a theme with the level of advice I get from asking dealers or the company :icon_eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts