Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have a 2018 Premium Black Edition Forester that I got over the summer. I absolutely love it but there are two things that are driving me crazy. This is my 4th Subie but first with eyesight.

1. From time to time, I hear a "ding" in my car. It almost sounds like the sound you hear when you are in an airplane and, "You may now walk about the cabin". There is no alert on the dash, or any lights that I am aware of. It happens in all types of situations, the highway on long trips, city driving, suburban driving. On one occasion during a drive on the highway, I was dinging every few seconds for about a minute. It was so weird.

2. On my dash above my steering wheel, there is a graphic of a the road with the lanes. Sometimes the right lane is lit, sometimes the left lane, sometimes both and sometimes none of them. I would love to know what that is for.

Thank you everyone for helping me out. I have tried to figure it out on my own by reading the manual but no such luck. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
601 Posts
Looks like all of your questions relate to the lane detection system. I think the "ding" you here is when EyeSight loses the ability to see the lines temporarily, usually due to faded line markings. The graphic you see on the screen shows you which side EyeSight has a good view of the lane markings. It sometimes doesn't capture all of the lane markings due to faded lines, glare, lack of light, etc.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Another source of dings is your Adaptive Cruise Control ACC. When using ACC you will get a ding when a car is picked up in front of you and another when the car is our of you chosen distance. You can eliminate these dings in your settings. Drove me crazy for awhile.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. that would make sense that one time that it was going off really frequently. I was definitely using cruise control. I will be sure to change that in the settings. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like all of your questions relate to the lane detection system. I think the "ding" you here is when EyeSight loses the ability to see the lines temporarily, usually due to faded line markings. The graphic you see on the screen shows you which side EyeSight has a good view of the lane markings. It sometimes doesn't capture all of the lane markings due to faded lines, glare, lack of light, etc.
Thanks for your reply! That makes sense. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Fozie XT
73 Posts
if you dislike Eyesight, you could turn off. However, i've been using ACC+Eyesight on Fwy and its able to safely slow down, even to near a stop then pick up as car in front move again on the stop and go traffic. However, it stops after 3 times or the stops longer than certain period.

Disclaimer: entire time i monitor speed and ready to brake. Love it.

·
Registered
2017 Touring CVT
131 Posts
That "ding" bothered me a bit as well in my 2017, but not enough to eliminate it--yet. The adaptive cruise explanations offered do match what I figured out. On the broader question of the benefit of Eyesight, however, I'm firmly on the "pro" side. At nearly 72, it's obvious to me that my motor skills (and memory, btw) have declined, although over 50 years of driving compensate. Nevertheless, I appreciate the assistance of this system, both forward and backward, the latter invaluable in congested parking lots.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Manual
11 Posts
I have been using ACC and Eyesight for DECADES. It's called defensive driving. While driving, that is what you do, drive the car. It's all of these people that can't drive, that are causing accidents and then the government steps in and mandates "safety" features. Then things that actually make you a better driver (manual transmissions) are phased out because the Eyesight and automatic crash avoidance stuff can't work on a manual car. Funny how I've been run into 3 times in 4 years by others (rear-ended at a stop light and a lady came on my side at a stop sign and hit my drivers side corner) and have driven 236K miles in that time. No automatic crap on my car, just defensive driving.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
290 Posts
I've had my 2019 Forester (base model) about 3 weeks and 800 miles. I've heard a "ding" too, and noticed that my "Snowflake" warning light with ice warning is lit. It does it when it gets below about 38F or 40F. Is it that cold where you are? Next time it dings, look down by the Auto Stop/Start light and see if you have a snowflake.

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
41 Posts
OK. that would make sense that one time that it was going off really frequently. I was definitely using cruise control. I will be sure to change that in the settings. Thanks!
To me, the "dong" from the lane keeping system telling you that it cannot detect any lane lines is a lot different from the "beep" of the ACC telling you that it has acquired a vehicle ahead of you.

DO NOT turn the beep off. It's a signal that you should move over to the left and pass that driver. If you don't, you suddenly look at the speedometer and find that you're going slower than you intended. If you can't or don't move over, then your ACC will slow you down to that driver's speed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts