Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The chrome finish on the stock lug nuts of my 2018 Forester XT has approximately 50% coverage and they have a low quality "look" to them. Is this a common condition or more likely a bad batch of plating that slipped through their supplier's Quality Control? I dred dealing with the dealership over this kind of waranty claim.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
504 Posts
I never had any problems with my 2007 Forester lug nuts, except when the car was maybe 10 years old the end of one of the nuts popped off. So the hole went right through the nut instead of it being a blind nut. So I just put that nut in with the other ones in the plastic case for the locknuts, and took a fresh (fresh 2007) lug nut out of there and put it on the wheel. I haven't had any problems with my 2018 Forester XT lug nuts.

Our other car is a 2017 RX350. The lug nuts that came with the car are fine, but we have aftermarket wheels for the winter and use hub centric rings and conical lug nuts for the winter wheels. (The lug nuts for the stock wheels have a flat mating surface for the wheel.) I bought those conical lug nuts when I bought the winter wheels, and I think they were about $1 (CAD) each from the wheel/tire shop. Most or all of these conical ones are rusty now, but I haven't bothered to go and get new lug nuts.

What to do would depend on how much you trust the dealer. I've had horrible problems with dealer service depts and would not leave the car with them or even trust them to put wheels on correctly. You paid a lot of money for your car. Don't trust it to a dealer service dept. If I were in your shoes I'd just go and buy some lug nuts, if the cosmetic problem concerned me enough. Or if the dealer would just give you lug nuts, I'd swap them myself. I would not let them have the car even for a second. If you need help changing the lug nuts, a family member, friend, or neighbour can help you.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
504 Posts
I took the winter tires off the cars today. Here are the lug nuts we got in the fall of 2017 for our RX350. I don't know what brand these are. They got stuck in my socket so after taking each one out I had to take the socket off the gun and put the socket on the ground and tap the nut with a hammer to loosen it so I could get it out of the socket. I am going to buy better lug nuts this summer.

The stock nuts for both cars are fine. It's only these aftermarket ones that have rusted. The inside of the lug nuts is fine, and it's only the outside that has rusted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts