Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to change out the muffler on my 2018 2.5i touring for something with a bit more sound but not as loud as a nameless muffler or muffler delete and hopefully avoid drone on the highway. This is purely for the sound of the car not for increased performance or mpg since I know that isn't going to happen. I would like to hear what people have tried and which ones they like. I have searched around and have been able to find some magnaflow mufflers various parts numbers, DC sports which I think might be on the loud side, along with a few others I am not familiar with.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
68 Posts
'17 2.5i premium here

I tried 5" nameless, too loud and droney but sounded good.

I having been running magnaflow 11234 for a year now with the stock resonator still in place. Nice and bassy on startup and acceleration but no drone out on the highway. Absolutely love it. My wife doesn't mind it and our 4 month old falls asleep to it.

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's one that I looked at too, important that your wife doesn't mind. Did you have it installed with the bolt up flange or welded in?

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's likely how I will do mine too. You don't happen to have any sound clips around with how it sounds do you? I probably won't be doing mine until spring more than likely :)

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I am guessing the way yours is set up is a little quieter then? That's what I was thinking about also.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
18 Posts
I love the Magnaflow on my Crosstrek. I'd do it to my wife's forester but she would kill me :)

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LoL BicycleMad, I'm hoping I don't get killed, did you use the 11234 or something else?

·
Registered
2017 Forester
68 Posts
So I am guessing the way yours is set up is a little quieter then? That's what I was thinking about also.
Yes a little bit quieter. I figured if it was too quiet I could just go back later and have the resonator removed but after a couple hundred miles it broke in and and is perfect for me. Really wanted something bassy and refined with this vehicle as I've had loud vehicles in the past. Namely a silverado v8 with long tube headers, no cats, and a single chamber muffler dumped under the cab. The loudness drew a lot of attention, like the nameless 5" - which I wanted to avoid.

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes that's what I am thinking too, I've had loud vehicles in the past and they draw attention but a nice bassy rumble just brings a smile to my face :) that being said, if I was driving a wrx then yes of course it goes with the car. The Forester is almost where I want it now except for the muffler :) I put a 19mm rear sway on and 235/55/17 tires and I have to say she handles surprisingly well for the type of car it is :). I like the fact that if I don't want to, I don't have to slow down too much for corners like the 90 degree ones.. others there is very little slowing down.

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Magnaflow 11235

Pulled the trigger and put a 11235 (2.25 in/out) on my 2018, only drove it back to work from the shop but first impression is it sound better than I thought! Everything else remains stock. Will report back once I get a chance to drive it a bit :)

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 XT
25 Posts
So how does it sound? draws a lot of attention? drone?

I am looking to change my rusted '09 mufflers for a higher flowing one that's discrete. My current mufflers kinda sound like a high flowing because they destroyed inside...

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So how does it sound? draws a lot of attention? drone?

I am looking to change my rusted '09 mufflers for a higher flowing one that's discrete. My current mufflers kinda sound like a high flowing because they destroyed inside...
Actually sounds pretty good, slightly louder than stock although the installer said he was surprised how quiet it was. Not really what I would consider drone, it has certain rpms where is is louder like 1200 to 1500 and when it drops down coming to a stop but I kind of like that. On the highway inside the car it isn't really noticeable but I don't know what it sounds like outside the car. I had my wife drive away from me in the city and she gunned it a bit, it was noticeable but not by any means a head turner. Maybe if you went up to 2.5 inch in and out (from what I've read that is as big as you want to go) or have the resonator cut out or put in a wrx midpipe or highflow resonator you would probably get it louder. For what I want it sounds good and my wife hasn't complained so that is also worth something :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts