Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased an 18 forester. I'm looking at adding a few mods to the vehicle. Planning on adding a trailer hitch (2 inch curt) and looking to add crossbars. Does anyone have a recommendation regarding the 2 inch hitch or general recommendations for crossbars (OEM or aftermarket)

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
527 Posts
Just purchased an 18 forester. I'm looking at adding a few mods to the vehicle. Planning on adding a trailer hitch (2 inch curt) and looking to add crossbars. Does anyone have a recommendation regarding the 2 inch hitch or general recommendations for crossbars (OEM or aftermarket)
I have OEM Subaru roof cross-bars on my '17 and like them. They come with a Torx screwdriver, which only works on the screws which clamp the bars onto the rails, not the smaller screws which clamp the width adjustment of the bars. So some further hardware store shopping was required. Otherwise I'm happy. I have a 1.25" OEM Subaru hitch receiver -- not what you're asking about -- and it's been perfectly fine, including a 10,000 mile towing trip, plus bike rack duty.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
527 Posts
I have OEM Subaru roof cross-bars on my '17 and like them. They come with a Torx screwdriver, which only works on the screws which clamp the bars onto the rails, not the smaller screws which clamp the width adjustment of the bars. So some further hardware store shopping was required. Otherwise I'm happy. I have a 1.25" OEM Subaru hitch receiver -- not what you're asking about -- and it's been perfectly fine, including a 10,000 mile towing trip, plus bike rack duty.
I just remembered one more criticism about the Subaru roof bars - the rubber inserts, which sandwich between the bars and the rails, can be sneaky about sticking in / falling out, when you are installing or removing the bars. I surprised myself last summer, seeing one sitting in the street outside my house the day after I put the bars on.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring - Blue
18 Posts
Have an 18FXT - installed a Torklift Ecohitch myself. Wasn't too bad, except for having to use a dremel-like tool to cut the bumper. It looks so good and is pretty "hidden". I don't think there's a better option out there.

An alternative is to call uhaul and ask them - sometimes they will sell and install the hitch for very reasonable prices.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,256 Posts
2014 Forester 2.5 Limited here...

Factory "accessory" cross bars (with a Reese brand basket added on top)... Happy with them. Note that if you go for some other brands they MAY be more like the cross bars for the Crosstrek which fit - but are about an inch or more taller in lift. I bought a set 2nd hand - figuring I'd add it in the middle to create a more solid platform for the basket and gear and - lo and behold - it's taller. The Front bar is the Crosstrek andjust behind you can see the Forester bar (with the basket mount/bracket).

e-trailer Draw-Tite Class III hitch (for 2" box) - installed by a pal. Low profile and so it doesn't jut out much from underneath and doesn't require cutting the fascia like some may for that "hidden hitch" look. Then there's the rubber cover I had from my old Chrysler that I added to keep it cleaner. When towing a trailer, I use a 2" "drop" hitch bar upside down to lift the front of the trailer some - usually a flatbed trailer used as a float in local parades. Tends to keep the trailer tongue and chains from dragging over dips and driveways.

It doesn't stick out further than the bumper face and is just visible below the bumper.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts