Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Lane Departure Warning comes on randomly, while driving in the middle of the lane. Anyone else have this problem? Is there something that can be recalibrated? I asked the service desk at the dealer today and they just said they've never heard of that happening.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
653 Posts
My Lane Departure Warning comes on randomly, while driving in the middle of the lane. Anyone else have this problem? Is there something that can be recalibrated? I asked the service desk at the dealer today and they just said they've never heard of that happening.
The EyeSight system doesn't somehow detect the lines painted on the road or where the lanes are supposed to be. It is an optical system with two cameras mounted above the rearview mirror. It takes an optical image from these cameras and an algorithm tries to determine where the lane is supposed to be, and then it beeps if the car's travel deviates from where it thinks the lane is, and the turn signal isn't active.

If you have cracked pavement and the city crews have gone and drizzled sealer in the cracks, the sealer makes lines all over the road. The system picks up these lines. If there are features on the road, like ruts or damage or debris or sand or salt, that make lines sort of in the direction the car is travelling, the system picks up these lines. If you are driving alongside a fence or railing and it is sunny, and the sun makes a shadow on the road sort of in the direction the car is travelling, the system picks up these lines. All of these things can skew where the computer thinks the lane should be.

I get mine beeping at me once in a while. A small percentage of the time it is correct that I am deviating from where the actual lane is without signalling.

Maybe one day there will be a system that accurately and reliably determines where the lane actually is.

When the dealership tells you they've never heard of an actual problem, it's one of two things: 1) They're covering something up or 2) they're not knowledgeable and haven't heard of it. Both things aren't that great.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,832 Posts
Mine has occasionally gotten fooled by cracks in the pavement, tracks left by snow plows, and the like.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. That makes sense. The dealer should explain this and not pretend to have never heard of it.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
798 Posts
Thank you. That makes sense. The dealer should explain this and not pretend to have never heard of it.

Did you get a manual for the Eyesight system and a DVD which together explain how it works and what its limitations are?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
5 Posts
Mine works pretty well...

I was driving hime in a snow storm last week and there were two clear tracks on the highway where the tires of cars had kept the road from snowing up -- nice straight lines. If I drove in one of these, or crossed over one, or if I hit a patch where there were no tracks free of snow, the lane departure system did not warn me. However, when one of the clear tracks had a lane line in it and I had to cross that line to stay in the track, the system did warn me.

I don't know how it works, but the description above may not fit this experience.

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
122 Posts
Mine also works pretty well. Often when the lines are not well painted on the road - like if there are double lines from two stripe-painting passes that didn't match up, etc, it beeps, but that's basically "bad data" that arises now and then and it doesn't do that for no reason at all in my car anyway. I have consciously tested it when I have no cars flanking me on multi-lane highways, and it will go off roughly where one of my wheels would be on the line I think, which seems just about right to me. I haven't had any noticeable problems with false positives and I like having it. I commute 76 miles and 2.5 hours each day and on the way home I am often very tired. I'd like to hear a little beep to catch me early rather than hear a blaring horn (or worse, the crunching of steel) if I am driving exhausted in traffic.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
653 Posts
Makes you wonder how driver less cars are going to handle a situation like that.
I don't think they're ever going to, and I don't think they'll attempt a design either. Even a human can't see the lane lines if the road is covered in snow or other debris. The best they can do is stop.

I think right now the driver is supposed to be awake and alert and ready to take control of the vehicle, and the driver remains ultimately responsible for whatever happens. There needs to be a reliable way for the car to know where everything is, which probably means lines of beacons or something on the road and sensors in the car, and we're not at that stage yet. Or maybe slots in the road, or cables. Or maybe some sort of GPS accurate to a couple cm but then you'd need accurate maps as well. Lots more infrastructure is needed. For driverless cars, any roads will need to be specially constructed or have markers added to them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My number one pet peeve about ANY dealer that I've ever met.
By the time I walk on to a car lot, I've been researching the cars for weeks and I know the cars inside out. I'm not a genius by, but seriously, I'm appalled at how little anyone on a car lot actually knows about the cars they are selling.
That being said, yes, the Eye-Sight system isn't perfect but I'll take it. Even when it's wrong I don't find it annoying. At times when there's snow on the road and it's having a hard time finding the lines, I just turn it off. Big whoop.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
798 Posts
Makes you wonder how driver less cars are going to handle a situation like that.
I'm guessing they'll navigate by GPS data, not visual clues which will be mainly used to avoid obstacles and other road users.

I think we won't get driver less cars in Australia until decades after the rest of the developed world because our road data sets are so woeful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a brand new 2020 Forester and this is happening to me. Service can find "nothing wrong". At least the Sales Manager had this happen when we drove it together but it looks like Subaru cannot do anything. After reading manual and looking this up, it seems that this does indeed happen to some cars. For me it happens on a straight road with clear white lines on blacktop- sunny or cloudy. It goes off every 10 minutes or so on some days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts