Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Volkswagen GTI
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can i turn it off? I hate how it tries to compensate for me.. i can do that on my own lol. But really, can i turn that off?

·
Registered
96 Posts
On the steering wheel is a button with 2 lines on it. This turns off the part where it tries to steer for you and will leave on the warning you get when you cross a line. I''m with you on this as I want to control my steering.

Maybe it would come in handy if I were texting. JUST KIDDING

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Tour CVT
319 Posts
Can i turn it off? I hate how it tries to compensate for me.. i can do that on my own lol. But really, can i turn that off?
YES.. there is a button to turn off lane assist upper console .. push and hold for several seconds.

the auto steering function only comes on if you turn it each time - and I think you have to be using cruise control to use it

Brian

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Tour CVT
319 Posts
On the steering wheel is a button with 2 lines on it. This turns off the part where it tries to steer for you and will leave on the warning you get when you cross a line. I''m with you on this as I want to control my steering.

Maybe it would come in handy if I were texting. JUST KIDDING
I think the OP was talking about the BEEP BEEP BEEP when ES senses you straying off the lines..

brian

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
41 Posts
the auto steering function
Please don't call it that, because that's not what it is. Here's what the Eyesight Manual says:

"WARNING
Lane Keep Assist is not an automatic driving system.

Lane Keep Assist does not always operate under all situations. If you rely only on the Lane Keep Assist to stay in a lane, it may cause an accident such as a collision with an obstacle beside your lane or with a vehicle driving in an adjacent lane.

If you drive on expressways, freeways or interstate highways at speeds above approximately 37 MPH (60 km/h) and the vehicle is about to depart from the lane, the system assists the steering operation by turning it to the direction that will help prevent the lane departure."

There is about a page of material telling you when the system isn't designed to work or won't work.

What I've found in about 11K miles of mostly interstate driving is that it will let you drift into another lane sometimes, and if you really need to get into another lane quickly and don't signal, it will let you. Another commenter called it a "nudge," and I think that's a good description. If I'm going over about 35 MPH, I almost always turn it on.

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
41 Posts
Can i turn it off? I hate how it tries to compensate for me
You can. It's the button next to the ACC button on the right side of the steering wheel. It's not very intuitive because the lane keep assist button is on the left, but on the instrument panel the light is to the right of the lane lines. The ACC button is on the right, but its light is on the left of the lane lines on the instrument panel.

To turn off lane departure warning, use the left button on the overhead console to the rear of the reading lights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts