Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 forester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so couple moths ago I dipped into get and intake, tune and bpv. Seen a hugeeeee drop in mpg like went from 30ish to 19 on the freeway. Almost everyother weekend we head to San diego to see family(186miles each way) anyone else experience such a large drop in mpg?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,919 Posts
"dipped into get and intake, tune and bpv". Interpret please. The FXT puls out well over the advertised 250 HP. I saw no reason to screw with it. and its a glorified grocery getter. I'll take my pretty good highway mileage.....27 to 30 mpg (actual, not readout)

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD
4,651 Posts
moths ago I dipped into get and intake, tune and bpv. Seen a hugeeeee drop in mpg like went from 30ish to 19 on the freeway. Almost everyother weekend we head to San diego to see family(186miles each way) an
When was the last time you had the intake cleaned / walnut blasted?

Carbon buildup in there is a SIGNIFICANT source of power loss, rogue knock and drop in MPGs, not just for your FA20, but any DIT subaru engine.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,920 Posts
I'm averaging around 20 mpg with mixed driving. But I have a heavy foot, so who knows.

·
Registered
2018 forester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When was the last time you had the intake cleaned / walnut blasted?

Carbon buildup in there is a SIGNIFICANT source of power loss, rogue knock and drop in MPGs, not just for your FA20, but any DIT subaru engine.
Hasn't been done. Only have 30k miles

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD
4,651 Posts
Hasn't been done. Only have 30k miles
Right about the mileage to do it too. Should be done every 30-35k when modified. Also consider an AOS to help keep oil vapors out of the intake (from blowby) and reduce the amount of that gunk from building up in that time.

·
Registered
18 Forester XT
43 Posts
To be honest a intake on these cars are just a noise maker. The most you probably gain 10hp with a tune. Your tuner might have made your car run richer to help it from leaning out with the new intake. He might have also messed with your throttle maps. But honestly just ask your tuner what exactly was done with the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts