Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife loves her FXT but it's a little too low for her to get into and out of comfortably. Considered trading for a Jeep Wrangler (I may be nuts) but then I thought about installing a lift kit.
How much additional height can you achieve with a lift kit without sacrificing warranty, stability, etc.? On a side note, has anyone jumped into a Wrangler from a Forester? We haven't been
off-roading in the past but you never know.......

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kevin, I have the Subaru Gold Plus warranty.

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
166 Posts
The effect of the lift on warranty coverage depends on what breaks and who is diagnosing it. My Subaru dealer in central CO puts lift kits on brand new cars and sells them with full warranty coverage, so I suspect they would offer better coverage on an aftermarket lifted Subaru than a dealer in say Miami who never sees a lifted Subaru.

The Wrangler is a very different driving vehicle, I drive my Dad's 2-door JK a few days each summer for light off-road excursions. Heading to the trails I immediately notice the ride on pavement is marginal and its under powered at our altitude of 7000ft and up. To get a Wrangler just cause its easier to get into/out of and having no plans to offroad is silly IMO, its just a big trade off in ride quality.

I would suggest you go test drive (or just sit in) a Wrangler, Grand Cherokee and 4Runner and see what fits best. They all have higher ingress-egress cabins than a Forester. My Forester is not lifted so can't comment on stability but 2" isnt going to be a problem if you go that route

·
Banned
2020 Gray Forester Touring
5 Posts
So your woman wants a higher vehicle?
With due respect, and I mean that seriously; I've never seen a complaint like this.
But, I'm new here, cuz I bought a 2020 Forester. And if you'll pardon me, I'll bite..

I'd guess a 2" lift on a Forester even with larger tires probably wouldn't be enough.
As another mentioned, maybe a Wrangler or a 4Runner... or Toyota Pickup with the Prerunner set up.
Or maybr a 4wd 3/4 ton Ram , Super Duty or Chevy truck. ?
Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition. Or maybe a Durango?
If it's all about getting into or out of it. Then offroad capability, gas mileage, towing, cargo capacity, cost to buy and cost to own, MPG, and reliability aren't priorities, then your options are wide open.
My wife is 5'06' and loves the Forester ingress and egress dynamics.
If your wife is quite tall then you probably have the wrong car.
Or she just plain and simple doesn't like it.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No complaints here, I just wanted to get opinions from other Forester owners and it looks like I'm getting them! LOL. She's 6'1" with long legs and bad knees, has no trouble getting into my F150.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring CVT
97 Posts
No complaints here, I just wanted to get opinions from other Forester owners and it looks like I'm getting them! LOL. She's 6'1" with long legs and bad knees, has no trouble getting into my F150.
That's a tall woman!! lol

Have you looked at maybe the new Ascent. That one sits higher than the Forester.

·
Banned
2020 Gray Forester Touring
5 Posts
Well you haven't lived - it's actually fairly common that as folks age it does become difficult for some to enter / exit lower vehicles.
Yes Sir, I suppose I haven't "LIVED" to some countries standards. Such as maybe... ummm.. Australia.

God Forbid I'd ever go there... I'd rather die.

But, Sir, a Forester is not a "low" vehicle. My comment was considering the average US and European female height of 5 feet, 6 inches... or even 5 feet 9 inches.
I know everything is bigger down under.... Everything.
To an administrator, IE.. You Sir.. I humbly appologize.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
117 Posts
I’m 6’2” maybe had back surgery at L5-S1 fused with rods & screws & bad knees & our 2016 Forester is easier to get into & out of than most vehicles I sit in the seat & swing my legs in!

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's the latest update: we'll be staying in the Subaru family for the foreseeable future! The Wrangler interior felt too cramped and was difficult for her to get in and out of. She has no interest in getting a "boring" Cherokee, 4Runner, etc . - she liked the idea of the Wrangler as a fun ride. The upcoming 2020 Ford Bronco is supposed to be a Wrangler killer so we'll check it out when it hits the market but my guess is she'll stick with the Forester. She is interested in some fancier wheels for her Forester so I'm onto my next mission!

·
Registered
271 Posts
duuuude 2020 bronco! i had no idea! you should go with that.. thats bad ***.

but yea, as the other dude said, ascent has a special 'long leg extension' seat thing for tall people. was funny when i test drove the ascent, cause my short japanese legs, that drivers seat became a recliner for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts