Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT CVT
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early Christmas Eve morning I unfortunately met with a doe on a nearby freeway at 70 MPH. The safety systems operated as Subaru intended and other than some ongoing ear trouble in my left ear from the curtain and seat bags inflating I’m fine. My local dealer will be repairing the Fox and it should be back on the road by February. $18000 in damage.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,487 Posts
@wrxspdwgn - Wow - You are lucky it wasn't an elk - We might not have heard about it.
Have you considered adding a deer whistle? They are unobtrusive and can help the deer to run off before impact.
A panacea? No. But the whistle appeared to scatter a herd in front of me on more than one occasion.
Good luck on the repair.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT CVT
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We don’t have elk in Southern Wisconsin although I understand that there is a herd in the Northwest part of the state. I’m just happy and very lucky that she didn’t travel up into the windshield. Damage to the front end is mainly bumper cover , grill, radiator, condenser, headlight and fan. Body shop said that’s about $5000. Rest of the estimate is for replacement of all the airbags that deployed.

·
Super Moderator
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,545 Posts
Damn that's a lot of money for the airbags. Are they totaling it? That's more than 60% the current value of the vehicle, should be totaled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im surprised your insurance company would pay $18k, rather than total it.
Remember, when you try to sell or trade it, this will show up on carfax. Many dealers wont even take it on trade with a big wreck on the carfax.

·
Super Moderator
1,710 Posts
Deer whistlers are a complete waste of $$$

I've had multiple family members have deer strikes in Western NY. All of the vehicles had deer "whistlers" on them.

Deer's don't care. They're going to do whatever they want to do.

It is the luck of the draw if you miss one jumping out in front of you...

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
16 Posts
If you want something noisy that REALLY scares the deer. Install a large subwoofer system. Lived in the sticks for 25 years. Plenty of deer hits with whistlers installed on front bumpers.. never hit a deer with a big subwoofer thumping away in the back. Those low tones seem to scatter ‘em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Base - Magnetite Gray Metallic
174 Posts
At least it wasn't a Moose, but still sorry to see. :/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts